General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Reference Etiquette

<< < (2/3) > >>

TootsNYC:
I might say he could email them via his home/job hunt email, so they're not on the spot face-to-face. And he can email them using their work email (his job-hunt email to their work email).

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on January 14, 2014, 03:11:35 PM ---I might say he could email them via his home/job hunt email, so they're not on the spot face-to-face. And he can email them using their work email (his job-hunt email to their work email).

--- End quote ---

That's just it... this isn't office work, so there is no "work email".  In fact, other than supervisor phone contact (for calling out sick and such), I don't think M has a single contact number or email for anyone that works there.

QueenfaninCA:
I would actually ask them not just if I can list them as a reference but also if they will be able to give me a strong recommendation.

Hmmmmm:
M should approach each of them separately and stat that she plans to begin job hunting soon and would like to list them as a reference if they would be open to that. If they say yes, ask how they'd prefer to be contacted. I'm assuming these supervisors will also be loosing their jobs so can't use their current business email or phone numbers. 

If they say no, then she just says she understands they'll also be busy with the transition.

cheyne:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on January 14, 2014, 03:51:14 PM ---M should approach each of them separately and stat that she plans to begin job hunting soon and would like to list them as a reference if they would be open to that. If they say yes, ask how they'd prefer to be contacted. I'm assuming these supervisors will also be loosing their jobs so can't use their current business email or phone numbers. 

If they say no, then she just says she understands they'll also be busy with the transition.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this. 

As a side note, I've given many references for former employees.  Everyone who has asked me to do so has asked face to face.  I've even given good references to people who didn't ask me, but a prospective employer called me.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version