Author Topic: Collards & Cabbage  (Read 610 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Collards & Cabbage
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
My lovely neighbors have a beautiful vegetable garden every year and sometimes they have more vegetables than they can use. When that happens they sometimes give extra goodies to us!  ;D

Today they gave me two huge bunches of collard greens and cabbage. I'm counting on you, my EHell friends, to help me come up with something interesting and different to do with them! I love experimenting in the kitchen so all ideas are welcome!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Collards & Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
Ooh...those first two look especially good. I'll have to show them to DH and see which one he wants me to try. He's a traditionalist and just wants boring old southern style...but he loves Greek food so he might go for the Med recipe.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
I don't know about collards, but I make a yummy cabbage soup . . . actually I just picked up the ingredients to make it.

Amounts vary, depending on taste and how much soup you want to make. Sorry, this isn't exact, but I don't have a recipe. I just wing it.

Red potatoes
Salt & Pepper
Bay leaf
Vegetable broth
Onion (cut into quarters and thinly sliced)
Cubed carrots
Minced garlic
Sliced Polish sausage (pre-cooked -- fried a bit to crisp up the skin if preferred)
Cabbage -- sliced thin or whatever bite-sized pieces that you like

Clean and cube red potatoes to bite-sized pieces (or you can use the baby potatoes cut in half) I usually leave the peel on. Wash and rinse thoroughly until water is clean. This is important because you will be using the potato water.

You will need a pot big enough so that the potatoes and water fill the pot only about 1/2 way.

Cover the potatoes with water (about 2 inches over the potatoes) add bay leaf, salt & pepper to taste (I like more pepper in this soup) and boil uncovered 'till about 1/2-way done (about 1/2 hour).

When the potatoes are 1/2-way done add the onion, carrots, garlic and polish sausage.

Continue to boil for another 15 minutes until carrots are al dente.

Remove the bay leaf and add vegetable broth until the pot is filled about 2/3 to the top. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat.

Add the cabbage a couple of handsfull at a time, gently mixing it in with the rest of the ingredients with each addition. Then when it looks like your pot is about to overflow, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. The cabbage will wilt down quite a bit so you can add more cabbage to fill the pot again if you like a bit of crunch/varied texture.

Simmer until the cabbage is done to your liking.

Serve with a dollop of horseradish and your favorite hardy bread.

Enjoy! ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:27:42 PM by jpcher »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
I posted a lazy cabbage rolls recipe in the recipe folder a while back.  Basically all the ingredients in cabbage rolls but with the cabbage chopped up in the dish, rather than wrapping the filling.

1 large cabbage makes 10 to 12 servings.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:24 AM »
I love PCC's Collard Slaw. It calls for both collards and cabbage. (It's delicious. You can sub in regular mayo if you don't have/like Veganaise).

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/pcc/recipes/pcc-collard-slaw

For cabbage, I usually eat it on its own. I also like it in Asian-y dragon bowls. (Lately, I've been eating quinoa and tofu with cooked kale and raw shredded cabbage and carrots. I usually top with a miso-peanut or teriyaki-type sauce.)

I make a creamy-tangy cole slaw as well. I like it on barbecue tofu sandwiches.
Grate 1 head of cabbage into the biggest bowl you have.
In a smaller bowl, grate one apple (I use a crisp, sweet apple, like Fuji or Braeburn) and 1/2-1 onion (yellow or Walla Walla). Add a blob of mayo equal to about 1/3-1/2 the grated stuff. Add a tablespoon or two of mustard, a couple tablespoons of sugar, and enough apple cider vinegar to make it a sloppy mess. (Not runny, but if it keeps its shape when you stir it, you need more mayo and vinegar.) Pour that into the cabbage and mix. It will be pretty strong at first, but it mellows out in the fridge. If you've gotta eat it ASAP, nuke the grated onion for about a minute before adding it. It'll take off the raw edge.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:24:55 AM »
Funny as I've been looking for new collard green recipes instead of southern style.

Here's some links to preparations I'm planning to try.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=323
http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/Collardgreens.htm
http://www.marthastewart.com/318324/sauteed-collard-greens-with-raisins?czone=%2Fwinter-produce%2Fwinter-produce&gallery=286291&slide=318324&center=1009854

If you find a recipe you like, please post.

I made the whole foods recipe last night and we enjoyed it. I didn't have sun flower seeds so left it out. I did add the suggested olives and a little fresh basil to the dressing.