Author Topic: More People Than Seats...  (Read 3402 times)

lowspark

Re: More People Than Seats...
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
I think all that totally depends on the dynamics of the party. Sometimes people just gather in the kitchen regardless of available seating. Some people tend to find a spot to sit in and never move. Some people only sit if others are. Some people like to talk to the same person or people all party long so sitting or standing, they never move much.

Now, in a party of say, 25 people, there's almost surely going to be a combination of these and other kinds of people and the seating might not be that important. Not to mention that seating 25 people in most homes might be difficult.

But here we have a group of 11. It's small enough that everyone could end up in the living room at the same time. If so, inevitably the majority will end up sitting and those who can't find a seat will be extremely few and it might be awkward.

Sitting on the floor might be an option, but it's not always ideal, regardless of age. It might depend on how people are dressed for example.

So again, so much about this depends on who will be there, how they are likely to congregate (which is usually unpredictable), what food is being served, how casual or formal the party is, etc.

I think getting a few folding chairs and having them available just in case is the way to go.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
I'm a big believer in having enough chairs. Not everyone wants to sit on the floor, and standing for the length of a 2-3 hour party is no fun.

But this is what I don't understand. If people are circulating, they'll stand for a while, sit for a while, stand for a while. If there is a seat for everyone, everyone plops down in "their" seat and seldom move.

IME it's often been the opposite: when seating is at a premium, people tend to plant themselves in a chair, not wanting to lose it. When there is plenty of seating, people feel comfortable getting up and moving around, knowing that there will be a chair when they want one.

I see those people as rude. Unless there is a physical need, to me they are just like the people who go to the resort pool at 7am and put their towels in a prime beach chair but don't really go to the pool until 4 hours later. Or the person who stands at the buffet table scarfing all the caviar and not allowing other guests access to it.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »

I think 8 seats for 11 people is a problem.

You can definitely do low seating parties - cocktail parties or house parties tend to involve most people standing around, mingling, a drink in one hand and finger food and snacks. 20 people and 10 seats would be doable.

But this particular situation means that most of the people will have a seat, but a couple of people will have to stand. Practically, you and your mom, as hosts, will give the seats to the guests, leaving only one of your guests without a place to sit, which is awkward.

This is  also not a big enough group that people are likely to mingle and reform conversational groupings - there's a good chance people will  find a seat, sit down, and then not move.

doodlemor

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »
Practically, you and your mom, as hosts, will give the seats to the guests, leaving only one of your guests without a place to sit, which is awkward.

I'm not sure if you mean 11 guests, or 11 people total by your post, OP.  If there are 11 people total, tell your mom that the problem is solved.  You, and your mom, and the BFF who is the other hostess will stand up all evening, and let the guests have the seats.

If you discuss the matter in those terms, I suspect that she will agree that you do need to rent/borrow some chairs.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
I'm a big believer in having enough chairs. Not everyone wants to sit on the floor, and standing for the length of a 2-3 hour party is no fun.

But this is what I don't understand. If people are circulating, they'll stand for a while, sit for a while, stand for a while. If there is a seat for everyone, everyone plops down in "their" seat and seldom move.

IME it's often been the opposite: when seating is at a premium, people tend to plant themselves in a chair, not wanting to lose it. When there is plenty of seating, people feel comfortable getting up and moving around, knowing that there will be a chair when they want one.

I see those people as rude. Unless there is a physical need, to me they are just like the people who go to the resort pool at 7am and put their towels in a prime beach chair but don't really go to the pool until 4 hours later. Or the person who stands at the buffet table scarfing all the caviar and not allowing other guests access to it.

If they have to get up to get food, they'll lose their chair, so they don't get to hog it all night.

And I agree that if the "fewer chairs" thing is going to work, you have to have markedly fewer chairs. (and it would never, ever, ever work w/ my ILs' circle)

EMuir

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 11:55:23 PM »
My favorite house warming ever was when I moved into a small two bedroom condo and invited everyone I knew.  I had moved back after being 2000 miles away for a couple years, and so there were definitely more people than chairs. 

What happened was some people sat on the floor, some people stood, and some people sat on the moving boxes I hadn't unpacked yet!  In fact I went upstairs and some friends had found a card table and were sitting on packed boxes and playing cards.  Everyone really did make themselves at home, everyone was happy, and it was great! 

So if you can't afford to rent or buy more chairs, I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you really don't know the people you're inviting or they're the kind of people who would never let your mother live down that you didn't have enough seating....

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

If they have to get up to get food, they'll lose their chair, so they don't get to hog it all night.

And I agree that if the "fewer chairs" thing is going to work, you have to have markedly fewer chairs. (and it would never, ever, ever work w/ my ILs' circle)

Which means a lot of times they won't get up and get food because they don't want to lose their chair. I know I have done that when at a party with not enough seating and after an hour+ finally got a chair. I decided I could eat at home instead of risking losing my seat and having to stand on my aching feet again.

123sandy

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
Another vote for folding chairs so there is a seat available for everyone. I'd be miserable if I had to stand for hours and, apparently, I'd be thought of as rude for "hogging a chair" because my medical condition is not obvious.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Another vote for folding chairs so there is a seat available for everyone. I'd be miserable if I had to stand for hours and, apparently, I'd be thought of as rude for "hogging a chair" because my medical condition is not obvious.

Yes, there are a lot of people with hidden disabilities, or who simply aren't comfortable standing for long periods.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

NyaChan

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
There is a difference in my mind between not actually needing to sit and knowing that I can't sit even if I wanted to.  You want to avoid the latter.  I don't find it hospitable or a sign of good planning if I am at someone's house and realize that all the seats are taken with nowhere for me to go if I want to join a particular conversation or rest my feet or eat comfortably.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
Everyone I'm sorry I haven't been in to check responses! I thought a glitch that shut my phone off when I was trying to post meant it didn't go thru, and I was so frustrated I didn't come back (haha... I had a little hissy fit... Oh technology...)

I have to catch up on the thread, then I'll expound on the specific nature of the party... Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:57:48 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
OP here-

The purpose of the party is we're having an Angel Reader lady come give 30 minute readings to evryone (so there'll actually be 12 people, wups)...

Two chairs need to be dedcated to my spare bedroom for the readings (which are private) so that leaves 6 total for 'public space'.

We're going to have pizza and finger foods and assorted beverages, particularly wine... So each seat is positioned near a surface for setting things (that's just how I always do my furniture anyways... Hate not being able to set stuff down!

One person might not make it...

I think I'll get folding chairs... Maybe even a card table like a pp suggested!

But every time I read someone's suggesttion, I'm like 'Yes! Good point! I'll do that!' Then I read the next one, which counters the position of the first and it is also compelling and I say 'Oh! No, *this* is what I'll do!' on-and-on-and-on.. But thanks to all of you being so insightful and thoughful in your answers! So thanks for that!

Ages of guest range from 30-60. Phew... Ok, and please! Continue the conversation! These responses are great!
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
I remember reading a study that said that the wisdom that said if there are less chairs people will mingle more isn't true. Sure it happens sometimes depending on the social circle but for the most part people realize that chairs are a hot commodity, know that they will not want to stand for 2+ hours so they sit and camp rather then risk losing the chair. I know I have seen that a lot more then I have seen people mingling around.

I once went to the wedding of a the heiress to an oil tycoon whose wedding planners were of the school of thought of the fewer chairs, the more mingling. Picture a 500 person black-tie wedding in Dallas country club, with a seafood bar, including a large section of raw oysters, a grilled to order steak station, etc and the brides grandparents sitting on the stairs outside and half the bridesmaids sitting on the dance floor in $500 dresses because there was only chairs for 250. Most of the bride's father's business associates left once the dinner hour started because they weren't about to sit on the ground.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
I remember reading a study that said that the wisdom that said if there are less chairs people will mingle more isn't true. Sure it happens sometimes depending on the social circle but for the most part people realize that chairs are a hot commodity, know that they will not want to stand for 2+ hours so they sit and camp rather then risk losing the chair. I know I have seen that a lot more then I have seen people mingling around.

I once went to the wedding of a the heiress to an oil tycoon whose wedding planners were of the school of thought of the fewer chairs, the more mingling. Picture a 500 person black-tie wedding in Dallas country club, with a seafood bar, including a large section of raw oysters, a grilled to order steak station, etc and the brides grandparents sitting on the stairs outside and half the bridesmaids sitting on the dance floor in $500 dresses because there was only chairs for 250. Most of the bride's father's business associates left once the dinner hour started because they weren't about to sit on the ground.

Oh wow!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

Yeah, because it's so fun and EASY to eat a steak standing up in an evening gown or tuxedo!  Good grief!  What were they thinking?

I would imagine that the bride's father may have lost a few friends and business connections (which he had probably intended to impress) by pulling this stunt.  It's a reception, people!  Not a gigantic cocktail party.