Author Topic: More People Than Seats...  (Read 3139 times)

Delia DeLyons

More People Than Seats...
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:50 PM »
I volunteered my new apartment to be the 'venue' for a smallish get together my mom and her friends/co-workers have been planning.  My location is more central than my mom's house, and the apt really is super cute, so we're all excited about that - but really, My mom and her BFF are the hostesses. We're all agreed on that.

I asked my mom for the total count of guests, which is 11.

I mentioned to mom I'd have to get or borrow some folding chairs, as I only have 8 true 'seats', including couch space. She told me I shouldn't worry about that.. But I am still concerned it's a bit rude not to be able to provide a resting place for every intended guest... At least for a gathering of this size. House parties are a different story...

One may also consider that my bedroom will be open and a 'part' of the public space of the party -- it's minorly a house warming for me, since I just moved in, and our friends (I'm having 2 guests myself) are welcme and eager to check out the digs.  However, though I'm not opposed to people sitting on my bed to chat if they'd like, I wouldn't count the bed as seating.

What do you think? Should I get folding chairs to even things up?
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

peaches

Re: More People Than Seats...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
I like for everyone to have a place to sit.

Having said that, it matters more at some types of get-togethers than others. Dinner? a must IMO. Snacks, appetizers - not as important. 

A party where everyone is there at the same time - more important. An open house where people will be coming and going - not important.

It's hard to tell if your party will involve everyone being present at the same time. If so, I'd try to provide seating - even if it isn't used. (Some people prefer to circulate.) I wouldn't consider the bed and bedroom as seating.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »
It depends completely on the type and length of the event.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
If there were comfy bits of floor to sit on I probably wouldn't mind - say a rug in the corner I can sit on with a friend to hobnob.   But if there's no comfy floor positions then yes, I would get more seats!    (Plus many people aren't comfy sitting on the floor anyway, so depends on the crowd). 

But it is very unpleasant being at a party and having to stand the whole time, so consider what the options are.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »
I think it would be nice for everyone to have a place to sit if that's at all possible.  Do you have room to set up a three extra chairs? 

My personal opinion is that bedrooms should probably not be considered "conversation" areas, although it may be necessary to let people lay their coats on your bed if there isn't room in your coat closet for all your guests' coats.

greencat

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »
It might be nice to buy some padded ottomans (or a big one) that match your couch, and add those to the living room - you can often get them fairly inexpensively at big box stores and they're usually a lot more comfortable for guests to sit on than folding chairs.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 12:02:33 AM »
Assuming that there is space for everyone, I think 8 seats for 11 people sounds fine. It doesn't sound like this is a sit down dinner so sitting is not required. Some people can sit, some can stand, sounds fine.

But there is nothing wrong with getting the seats as well.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
If it's not too much of a bother for you, I would get/borrow the chairs so they're there if anyone wants them. ( we recently bought extra stacking garden chairs for exactly that reason, in case we ever need extra seats. These are inexpensive, stack neatly, and are sturdier than folding chairs.)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:13 AM »
My vote would be to get 3-4 more folding chairs or folding stools so that you have enough for everyone. Do you know people with camping chairs? They fold and are light and you could just borrow some and not have to buy any.

lowspark

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
If you're going to be serving food and drink, I would get the extra chairs. It's hard to juggle a plate and glass and try to eat while standing. If all 11 are there at the same time, and eight find a seat, will the other three be standing, awkwardly trying to eat while everone else is comfortably seated?

Does the count of 11 include you, your mother and her BFF? If so, then it might be just you three standing unless one of you takes one of the seats, leaving a guest standing which would not be so nice. But honestly, as hostess, sometimes I do want to sit, even for just a couple of minutes, so it would be much nicer to have enough chairs.

I'd get the chairs and leave them folded and to the side and pull them open as needed.

If it's just drink with no food, then chairs might not be as important.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
A lot also depends on the age of the guests. 

Younger guests might be quite happy to perch on the arm of the sofa or lean on a bookcase but older guests should certainly be provided with a seat.

Get the extra folding chairs.  They can be kept in a corner until needed.   

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
I'd seriously consider getting a card table and chairs, simply because sometimes extra chairs or an extra table comes in handy (like now  :)

DavidH

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »
In general, I'd say get the seats.  For a cocktail party, seats may not be a must, but a lot depends on the age of your guests.  The floor is okay for a certain type of guest in a certain situation, but less so as one gets older.  I'd be uncomfortable sitting on someone's bed at a party unless it were set up more as a daybed or couch.  Reclining on someones bed or sitting on the edge at a party suggests a degree of intimacy that not everyone is comfortable with.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Ikea has folding wooden chairs that look really nice, fold up nicely to fit in a closet and aren't too expensive. My living room has a weird flow to it, so I keep 2 of those Ikea chairs in my hall closet and pull them out for gatherings. I strongly prefer to have a place for everybody to sit, especially if it's not a large cocktail or house party.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
I agree with PPers that you should buy/borrow/rent extra seating.