Author Topic: Boss states her opinion and then says "Don't you agree?"  (Read 4284 times)

Arila

Re: Boss states her opinion and then says "Don't you agree?"
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
At no point does Lee have to agree.  However, there may be times when Supervisor forces a yes or no, possibly in front of clients.  Lee should be ready to vigorously defend her position if it isn't what Sup wants to hear

I would never directly disagree nor "vigorously" defend a position in front of customers. It doesn't matter how "right" I might be, it is really off putting to them and makes us BOTH look unprofessional.

Mikayla

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
par
At no point does Lee have to agree.  However, there may be times when Supervisor forces a yes or no, possibly in front of clients.  Lee should be ready to vigorously defend her position if it isn't what Sup wants to hear

I would never directly disagree nor "vigorously" defend a position in front of customers. It doesn't matter how "right" I might be, it is really off putting to them and makes us BOTH look unprofessional.

The bolded is what I wondered about reading through this.  I'm not familiar with the term partner agencies, but I took it more as a collaborative thing rather than a client one.  And this makes all the difference.

If it's a client thing, and Boss is observing this interaction without seeing a problem, then Lee is caught in a squeeze play.  I like the nuanced wording PPs have suggested.

But if it's a collaboration, I think Lee could be putting her own professional reputation at risk if she appears to condone whacky ideas, or appears too timid to express original ones.  In that case, I think she should be more direct about it and just see what happens.

gingerzing

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
Yes, to your point, Mikayla.  Technically, in this particular meeting we are the actual client.  But we work with the agencies in a partnership.  So yes, Lee wants to make her point clear without being disrespectful and keeping her professionalism. 
In front of clients would be more of when Supervisor does this Lee in front of our board or department committee.  (Later this month will be a test in this)

Mikayla

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »
Aaah....so *you* are the clients.  That really puts Lee in a weird position, because she can use the wording suggested upthread during the meeting, but when she gets in front of the board and they trash an idea Lee privately thought was horrible, she can't say anything if she publicly "agreed" with it. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
par

But if it's a collaboration, I think Lee could be putting her own professional reputation at risk if she appears to condone whacky ideas, or appears too timid to express original ones.  In that case, I think she should be more direct about it and just see what happens.

This is what I was getting at

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
There's always the regretful, "I hate to disagree, but actually I have the opposite opinion."

GrammarNerd

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
Thanks guys.  This is great help. Lee and I both appriciate the well-versed options. 
We have a big meeting in a few weeks and I am pretty sure Lee will get the opportunity to use a few of these coming up.

And something tells me that if Lee uses a few of these, then boss will not be so quick to, shall we say, publicly intimidate her agreement in the future.  Problem solved.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
Oh, Lee shouldn't forget the nonverbal!

Sort of a skeptical, "Hmm" w/ a shoulder shrug and slight tilt or shake of the head.
Kind of a nonverbal, "I'm not going to interrupt you, but it's not really that simple."

And the long, drawn out, "Well-ll."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:35:24 PM by TootsNYC »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
Also facial expressions are very helpful. 

The raised eyebrows with folded lips is a good one.  bonus points if you can open your eyes WIDE at the same time.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 04:02:00 AM »
"Um, no, boss, that wasn't me."

It allows face-saving on the part of boss - somebody thought polka dots were a good idea - but it wasn't Lee. Easier then to add "if you recall, my suggestion was the block colouring with the fancy fonts."

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 02:21:05 PM »
"Pink Polka dots do provide a pop of color, that is true.  However, they are also associated with teenage girls.  So who is our target customer? Does this appeal to them?"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
"Um, no, boss, that wasn't me."

It allows face-saving on the part of boss - somebody thought polka dots were a good idea - but it wasn't Lee. Easier then to add "if you recall, my suggestion was the block colouring with the fancy fonts."

I like this one!

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »
"I hadn't considered [pink polka dots] before. I can see how they would be [positive feature], but I tend to lean towards [blue stripes] or [green stars]."

"I don't think it would be valuable to the group to talk about that now. I'll get back to everyone at a later date."

"It sounds like we may need to talk about that a bit [within our group] and get back to [partners] later once we've reached a consensus."

Thanks guys.  This is great help. Lee and I both appriciate the well-versed options. 
We have a big meeting in a few weeks and I am pretty sure Lee will get the opportunity to use a few of these coming up.

And something tells me that if Lee uses a few of these, then boss will not be so quick to, shall we say, publicly intimidate her agreement in the future.  Problem solved.
No kidding. Perhaps it will get to the point where Supervisor's feelings won't be hurt by Lee's promotion to being under Boss.   ::)