Author Topic: Match message: Was he rude and should I respond?  (Read 10626 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: Match message: Was he rude and should I respond?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
The most I would have said might have been, "It's OK, I don't expect everyone to like my profile. That is why there are all kinds of people out there with a variety of tastes and interests. Good luck in your search for someone more compatible."

Not that I am going to answer him, but I still love this.  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

sweetonsno

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »

I have a new pet peeve: people who brag about not owning/watching television. You aren't better than everyone else just because you chose to cut yourself off from a significant part of modern culture. Especially if you did it by choice and not financial necessity. Blathering about being 'low tech' and living a simple life on an online dating site??? Uh huh. Give up your laptop and I'll be impressed. :P

I don't see it as too much different from stating that you don't drink, or that you're not religious. It isn't necessarily that they think it makes them superior. It could very well be that they simply don't enjoy it or that they specifically dislike it. (Obviously, if they include an explicit or implicit judgment, like "I have better things to do," it's pretty off-putting.)

I know some people who watch a lot of TV. They watch it to unwind at the end of the day. They like to watch TV socially. They watch shows religiously. If TV is a big part of someone's life or it is an activity that they'd like to share with a potential partner, they probably aren't going to be a good match for someone who isn't a fan.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »

I have a new pet peeve: people who brag about not owning/watching television. You aren't better than everyone else just because you chose to cut yourself off from a significant part of modern culture. Especially if you did it by choice and not financial necessity. Blathering about being 'low tech' and living a simple life on an online dating site??? Uh huh. Give up your laptop and I'll be impressed. :P

I don't see it as too much different from stating that you don't drink, or that you're not religious. It isn't necessarily that they think it makes them superior. It could very well be that they simply don't enjoy it or that they specifically dislike it. (Obviously, if they include an explicit or implicit judgment, like "I have better things to do," it's pretty off-putting.)

I know some people who watch a lot of TV. They watch it to unwind at the end of the day. They like to watch TV socially. They watch shows religiously. If TV is a big part of someone's life or it is an activity that they'd like to share with a potential partner, they probably aren't going to be a good match for someone who isn't a fan.

Stating is different from bragging!

I don't have a television. I don't care if someone else does, if they enjoy it, etc. This is fine.

I don't have a television. It is an idiotic device and I am soooo glaaaad I got it out of my life. You should, too,  and then you will see how much improved you will be. This is not fine.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
I think your profile is perfect. It filtered out this jerk. Isn't that the job of the profile? To attract people you want and keep away judgemental losers like him?

Exactly.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Night Audit Woman

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »
I was dumped by my Match.com date by email. We had been dating for about a month. He also suggested in his email that I get some therapy.  ::) Who doesn't need therapy when their marriage of 30 years ends in divorce?

I was tempted to answer with a nasty reply, but I didn't. This all happened three years ago. I met a wonderful man the following month online and we married a year later.

Another Match.com prospect complained bitterly that the photos I had posted online showed me too "bundled up" for the summer weather.

Polly

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »
I think your profile is perfect. It filtered out this jerk. Isn't that the job of the profile? To attract people you want and keep away judgemental losers like him?

Yeah I'd be really tempted to reply 'My profile is working as intended.' and let him mull about what you really meant.  But this guy isn't worth the effort of engaging and I think the best response is no response.  I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a reply, good or bad.

This and this :-) What a jerk.

Softly Spoken

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
Wow, I just read this message on A Bad Case of The Dates. :o I suddenly feel a lot better about my relatively benign message.  :P
Obviously I got off easy. :-\

Still can't decide if online dating attracts the crazies...or helps filter them. Maybe both...
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Iris

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Wow, I just read this message on A Bad Case of The Dates. :o I suddenly feel a lot better about my relatively benign message.  :P

Still can't decide if online dating attracts the crazies...or helps filter them. Maybe both...

Hahaha I remember reading that one and thinking "What could he possibly hope to gain?" It seems there's more men of that type than I would have suspected.

Anyway, I have a friend who married a guy like that that she met irl so it's not just online dating. Although to be fair he's mellowing with age.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

lollylegs

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »

Mr I Went to Three Schools Plus Ten Years Post Secondary used myriad incorrectly.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »

Mr I Went to Three Schools Plus Ten Years Post Secondary used myriad incorrectly.

I thought it was grammatically correct to use it in either way.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/myriad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myriad

You could fault the guy for many (myriad?) things, but that wouldn't be one of them.   ;)

What a donkey!

immadz

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »

"If you have had so many years of schooling, perhaps you can infer what I meant by platonic and sorry. Or perhaps you had to get 10 years of post secondary schooling, because you were unable to comprehend the first time around."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
We don't have satellite or cable but we do own a tv, we just are trying to save money and while there are some things about having either I do miss (football!) other things I don't and I've found since cutting that expense out I have kinda realized how much it would get turned on for background noise cause it was so easy to do it.

This guy makes me think of the hipsters that are commonly mocked in memes for trying too hard to be edgy, deep and against anything mainstream.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »

Wow. Thanks for introducing me to yet another site to waste my time on  :D.

"If you could explain your reasoning, to start, then I think we will have a basis to understand your problems processing this experience for what it is, and we can then move forward. Together."

Oh my. Because if she does not wish to repeat this mysterious "experience" then it must be a problem she is having. And, even more off-puttingly, she does not have the right to say no to further experiences.

Softly Spoken

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 01:16:06 AM »

Wow. Thanks for introducing me to yet another site to waste my time on  :D.
*snip*
Lol, well I was only introduced to it a few days ago by someone on the 'Worst Date Ever' thread - so I am going to be right there with you in the darn archives. ;D

...I have it open in another tab as I'm typing this. ...I-I think I have a problem. :-[
-William Shakespeare

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
"Emotional orgasms?"

Eww. Not on a first date.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls