Author Topic: Moving sick child rude?  (Read 6794 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Moving sick child rude?
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:20 AM »
In the heat of the moment, I thought I did the right thing. After considering it after the fact, I still think I did the right thing. My FMIL has now implied I was rude and although I am not inclined to agree with her, I want to check with others. WARNING: upset stomach body fluids mentioned.

We (my fiancé, six year old, and FMIL) were at the movies. We were against the wall in a 10 chair row and the only ones in the row. The six year old was against the wall, then fiancé, me, and FMIL. There was about 10 minutes left when the six year old asked if she could hug grandma and we said sure. She was in grandma's lap for all of 20 seconds before she leaned over and vomited. It was very loud and everyone in the vicinity turned to look. I grabbed the six year old, hugged her to me, and went sprinting to the bathroom knowing it was about 15 feet outside the theater door. She wound up puking down the back of my hoodie, in my hair, and got just a little on the floor on the way to the bathroom.

FMIL wound up following me into the bathroom while fiancé notified an employee about the mess. Other than the initial throw up in the theater, I was able to clean the rest of the mess myself while taking care of a loudly sobbing and loudly vomiting child.

The next day, FMIL inquired how the six year old was feeling and we got to talking about what happened. FMIL said she would have kept the six year old where she was as to limit the area of the mess. I said that I would have at home, but I wasn't going to let my sick child ruin the movie for everyone else. We disagreed for another five minutes or so then let it drop.

What says E-Hell? Was I rude to, in essence, spread the mess or did I minimize the disruption to other patrons?

FWIW, poor thing had food poisoning; fiancé got it, too, as he had eaten the rest of what she didn't finish.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Minmom3

Re: Moving sick child rude?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »
I think you DID make the mess more spread out, but I think you very much did the right thing about taking her out of the theater!  Absolutely!!!  Who wants to share the theater with a puking child?  Not me, TYVM! And I highly doubt the kid wanted to stay in the theater.  My kids knew where vomit was supposed to land, and it was IN the TOILET, not on the floor at the show.  Poor baby, hope it cleared out of her quickly!  Food poisoning is awful.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
I'd say try to contain the mess as much as possible (grab a popcorn bucket, bag, hug the kid to yourself and take one for the team) and get the kid out!  It's not fair to either the other patrons or to the kiddo to be dealing with that in the theater. 

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »
This is one those impossible to get right situations.  You feel bad regardless of what you do.  :(  I hope she feels better soon.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
You did the right thing...if nothing else, it makes the people around you feel like you are "doing something".  People would have started saying something to you and then you would have had to move her anyway.

Isisnin

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
This is one those impossible to get right situations. You feel bad regardless of what you do.  :(  I hope she feels better soon.

This.  Absolutely.  there was no way of knowing what was going to happen next and how long the situation would last.  What if you had stayed in the seats and your daughter threw up even more?  Then things would have been even worse for everyone else.

Hope your daughter is ok now.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
Were I another patron in that theatre, I would have been very happy that you removed her, even if it did make a bit more of a mess.  I'm a bit of a sympathetic puker so if I'd had to listen to repeated vomiting sounds, I would have had to move over and add to her pile.   :)

(And FMIL?  Did I miss an engagement?   :D )
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Girlie

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
It's a big difference of course, but when I was a night cashier in a grocery store, I once had a couple with a sick child come through my line. The child tells dad that she needs to throw up, and dad's response? "Go ahead."  :o
So, the little girl did. Right there in Checkout Line #5, literally five steps away from the store's doors. Dad's response then, an encouraging pat on the shoulder, "That's good, go ahead. Better out than in."
I have never respected that sort of "go ahead" parenting since that very moment.

I totally get that someone might get sick in public. But the correct thing to do is to always try to move away from others who might be made also be made sick by the smell/sight/sound of it. One person throwing up is waaaaay better than two and light years better than ten.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
I understand your MIL's point, but she's forgetting that the area of the mess is not the only consideration. If it were, she would be correct. But other movie patrons were being affected, therefore the only correct thing for you to have done was minimize the disruption by getting the child out of the theater asap, which you did.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Rohanna

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
You had no idea how long she was going to be ill for, and if any other "stomach" issues were going to surface. Getting to a bathroom makes the most sense, really- what if she has a sudden need for number 2?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »
Were I another patron in that theatre, I would have been very happy that you removed her, even if it did make a bit more of a mess.  I'm a bit of a sympathetic puker so if I'd had to listen to repeated vomiting sounds, I would have had to move over and add to her pile.   :)

(And FMIL?  Did I miss an engagement?   :D )

This is the first I've mentioned it  ;D ;D ;D. He proposed Friday the 10th. No more settling for me, he's the one; I know it rather than just thinking it had to be so.

Other than the initial pile, most of it was down my back and in my hair. I tried to keep her hugged to me but she put her head over my shoulder to puke. Having been without children before, I became an instant mom with a 6 year old. I'm learning as I go so I tend to second guess myself on things. Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I do see where I made the mess a little bigger, but I figured it was the lesser of two evils. My quote below is now applicable, *giggle*.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
Ahem. I believe Congratulations are in order. Congratulations! *girly squeal*

Now that that's over... yes you did the right thing. :)

Hopefull

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
I think your mother-in-law's being a little nitpicky. It seems that the biggest mess was only in one place which was the theater. That's where someone else was going to have to clean it up. As you stated the other mess was mainly on you. And you could clean yourself up. You did what I believe 99% of the people would've done. Which was get her out of the theater and get her into a bathroom. Seems mother-in-law's just looking for a fight? By the way congratulations!
“I felt this thrill going up my leg!”

Alias

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »
My Mom instinct has been and will always be to get the child away from the other people, to somewhere easier to clean up. With something to aim at, preferably.  You totally did the right thing.  I might have grabbed an almost empty popcorn bucket and had her carry that while I carried her, if she was able for it. Otherwise, exactly what you did, and take one for the team. My daughter had reflux as a baby, there were several times she started being sick and the best option was to aim her at me than the floor or sofa, me and my clothes are much easier to wash.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
You had no idea how long she was going to be ill for, and if any other "stomach" issues were going to surface. Getting to a bathroom makes the most sense, really- what if she has a sudden need for number 2?
^This. In my experience, food poisoning is seldom a "single exit" malady.  :(

Also, at six, your daughter is old enough to be embarrassed about being sick in front of people - I'm not saying she should be, just that she might be. You did the right thing by securing her at least a little privacy while her body was out of her control.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady