Author Topic: Moving sick child rude?  (Read 6910 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Moving sick child rude?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 02:08:28 PM »
I think you did the right thing. And congratulations! ;D *\o/*  *\o/*  *\o/* <-- pompoms for you!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Kaymar

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »
Think you did the right thing here, but I'm so confused - thought you were already engaged?  With sporting tickets?  I remember because I thought it was a cool way to propose!  In any case, good luck :)

That went belly up awhile back...long story shorter (and I will fully admit I was stupid), the Eagle wanted to "separate", see other people.  I think he thought it would make me happier and I would see what I was missing out on.  I took him up on it and wound up meeting my current fiance, who knew the situation from the beginning.  He was quite content just having fun and said he understood if I went back to the Eagle.  I fell in love and so did he.  I officially broke it off with the Eagle in September.

Ah, OK - sorry, I didn't mean to pry, I was just confused - I am not on here as much as I used to be but your user name and proposal story had stuck with me :)  Congrats and have fun with wedding planning!  I am planning a wedding myself and I'm not finding the process much fun, so I hope you enjoy it more than I do.

How wonderful that you get to be a mom right away, too! :)

AnaMaria

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »
Of course you did the right thing- no one wants to listen to or watch someone be sick, and I doubt the theater staff saw a big difference between cleaning up a few small messes vs. one big one.  Hope they've both made a fast recovery!

And CONGRATS on the engagement!!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
LOL!  Perhaps not "ideal", but what a way to bond with your new six year old.  At least you know you have motherly instincts and she knows she can trust and depend on you to step right up and take action when something goes wrong.

Congratulations on your new engagement and your newly acquired motherhood status!

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
Congratulations on your engagement!

I don't think there was any right or wrong in the situation.  You did what you did.  She wants to MMQ (monday morning quarterback).  Just have lots of bean dip around to stave off this type of thing.

I would have told "It's not something I want to think about.  Let's talk about something else."

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
I think you did the right thing!  The only thing I would have personally done differently (if possible) would be to give her a popcorn bag to throw up in on the way there, but if there was none available, it's better to get her to the bathroom.  Poor kid...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 06:26:32 PM »
First, congratulations!

Second, you did absolutely the right thing. The mess is bad enough but think about those other patrons sitting there waiting for the next episode!

Third, welcome to parenthood. The Day I Knew I Was A Dad™ was similar. I took my 1.5yo son to a hockey game (he loved it... we used "O Canada!" as a lullaby for years.) Without warning he threw up on me and several patrons around us. Apologizing the whole way I removed him quickly. Because the onset was so fast I took him to urgent care, where he proceeded to get me from the other end in the exam room.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »
My opinion, as the mom of three, is that it's always best to try to get to a toilet or trash can asap. Okay, so she ended up being sick again before you made it, but you tried. A lot of times kids will just get sick once, feel better for 5 minutes or so, then need to be sick again. Why sit and wait so they can make an even bigger mess somewhere you don't want it, right?

Congrats on the good news and hugs for the sickies!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
As someone with a strong sympathetic response - thank you. For me it is the sound more than the smell that will cause the response in me.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
There's absolutely no way I'd stay sitting in a movie theatre with my child who just threw up. I'd get her out of there asap just like you did. Who knows how many times she'll throw up. The goal is to get her to the restroom asap and hope she can hold out long enough before having to puke again. You didn't make it, well, that happens. But certainly it would have been worse for her to throw up repeatedly in the theatre.

If I were a fellow audience member and you didn't move quickly to remove her, I'd be thinking, Hey! Get your sick child out of here!

You played it perfectly correctly.

And yes, Congratulations!!!

POD. You did exactly the right thing.

I had the misfortune of throwing up in a train station during a recent holiday. Luckily I had a plastic bag on hand for the, er... situation.  But as soon as I'd finished, my number one goal was to get somewhere private/my nearby hotel room, (1) so I didn't have to expose other people to what was going on, (2) get some privacy for myself, and (3) limit spreading any germs. Staying in the one spot simply wasn't an option, just as I don't think remaining in the movie theatre would've been a good option for the OP.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
As someone who works at a movie theater, you did nothing wrong. My co - workers and I have had to clean up grosser things than that, and you needed to get to a place where you could clean up and tell what was wrong with Fiancé's daughter. Plus, anyone who's a sympathy puker would have just multiplied the mess if you'd stayed.

Also, congrats to you, Fiancé, and Fiancé's daughter! I wish the very best to you three in your new life together!  :)
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »
Thank you for all the well wishes!  We set the date today!

I honestly didn't think about sympathy pukers, but I'm glad E-Hellions mentioned it.  My concern was not being a distraction and not making too much of a mess.

FWIW, I don't think FMIL was criticizing, I think she was trying to offer advice.  She knows I have next to no experience with kids.  I also think she and my mother are from the same stock and thus they don't think about how the way they say things come across.  It wasn't a debate, either, just each of us discussing why we did/would have done it one way or the other.  I don't think she thought about sympathy pukers, either.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »

FWIW, I don't think FMIL was criticizing, I think she was trying to offer advice.  She knows I have next to no experience with kids.  I also think she and my mother are from the same stock and thus they don't think about how the way they say things come across.  It wasn't a debate, either, just each of us discussing why we did/would have done it one way or the other.  I don't think she thought about sympathy pukers, either.

This does not surprise me.

I don't think she was talking manners or etiquette--she was talking tactics and strategy.

And, I have found throughout the years that:
1) your first response isn't always the most -effective response;
2) panicking, or moving too fast, is often not the most -effective tack;
3) the best thing to do w/ messes like that is to make sure they fall on things that can go in the washing machine (like the front of your own shirt) or that can be mopped off (like a linoleum floor)

When my kids were babies, I quickly figured out that if they were going to have a big spit-up it was best if they did it all over me--because the sofa can't go in the washing machine, but my shirt can (and skin washes really really well).

So when they threw up, I did the same thing--I held them so it splashed all over me.

Rushing to the bathroom might not be the best bet--it's smartest to slow down a little, and make sure you have a game plan for the "instant vomit" that might still be coming. Like, you whip off your jacket and hand her the hood to use, and you steer her on her own two feet instead of carrying her so that your hands and arms are free to help hold the "bucket".

But of course, who can think that well right then, right? And, maybe what you did was your best plan of action--I don't mean to backseat drive you, just pointing out the concept of "don't panic; think it through a little bit first" and how valuable it can be.

My toddler son got hot tomato sauce dumped right on him at a Red Lobster; I picked him up and ran to the bathroom to strip him off. It was actually not the smartest move; it took too long to start getting the clinging, hot sauce off him.
   I should have simply picked up a water glass and poured it over him. It might have been messier on the floor, but the point wasn't the mess, it was the heat.
   In your case, the point was the mess; containing that would be the big plan.

What you did was perfectly fine in terms of etiquette. You did the best you could.

In terms of effectiveness, there might have been something else you could do, but I sure wouldn't suggest you beat yourself up about it. But, us parents would probably all benefit from mentally walking through some of those things:
  -what if my kid suddenly started throwing up?
     (My sister sacrificed her purse when she got sick on the merry-go-round; she figured it was replaceable. It was--my mom bought her a new one.)
   -what if my kid got something hot spilled on him?
   -what if my kid cut himself?
   -what if my kid tipped a milkshake over?

So we have a plan.

The milkshake thing--most of us have spilled stuff, so we have a subroutine we can tap. Puking kids, not so much.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »
Sounds like FMIL means well, but in this particular case, I think she is wrong and you were right. I'm not a parent either, but removing a child (so they can get cleaned up, or have some water / fresh air / etc) strikes me as the best thing to do.

Also, you had no way of telling that the child would be sick again so soon. Stomach bugs are unpredictable. She could have been fine once she was sick in the theatre. Or she could have been sick again an hour later. But you had no way of telling that she'd been sick mere seconds later. In fact, I think keeping her there, in the same spot, on the off-chance she'd throw up again seems a little silly to me.

And congrats on your engagement!

cb140

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
I think you did the right thing too. And quite a hero - I hadn't realised on first reading the story that the little girl wasn't yours. You truly have my admiration - I'm not good with vomit at all, even with my own kids! So well done on looking after your little step-daughter so well, and I hope she feels better now!