Author Topic: Moving sick child rude?  (Read 6605 times)

Emmy

Re: Moving sick child rude?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
It sounds like your future DH has a wonderful fiance and DD has a loving a caring new mother.

I think it is easy for FMIL to play Monday morning quarterback and I find it rude that she is criticizing you for doing your best in an unpleasant and unexpected situation.  Instead of criticizing what you did, she should be thankful her granddaughter will have a step mother willing to get her hands dirty (literally) to look after her.  If you had done what she had suggested and stayed put, I imagine other patrons would be upset because you are not doing anything to remove a vomiting, crying child from the theater.  She could have been finished or it could have been just the start of a long period of being ill.  I also think it would be more embarrassing to DD to continue to be ill in the theater.  You did the best you could in the situation.  When something like that happens suddenly, it is best to run out and get to the bathroom.  Unless there was a popcorn container staring you in the face, I don't see how you would have the presence of mind to look for one.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
It sounds like your future DH has a wonderful fiance and DD has a loving a caring new mother.

I think it is easy for FMIL to play Monday morning quarterback and I find it rude that she is criticizing you for doing your best in an unpleasant and unexpected situation.  Instead of criticizing what you did, she should be thankful her granddaughter will have a step mother willing to get her hands dirty (literally) to look after her.  If you had done what she had suggested and stayed put, I imagine other patrons would be upset because you are not doing anything to remove a vomiting, crying child from the theater.  She could have been finished or it could have been just the start of a long period of being ill.  I also think it would be more embarrassing to DD to continue to be ill in the theater.  You did the best you could in the situation.  When something like that happens suddenly, it is best to run out and get to the bathroom.  Unless there was a popcorn container staring you in the face, I don't see how you would have the presence of mind to look for one.

I totally agree.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »

I'm not so sure. It's possible that FMIL is aware that Mental Magpie is not a parent, and is unused to being around children. She may have just been attempting to help Mental Magpie, and share her own experiences with looking after kids.

In this case, I think that FMIL did get it wrong. But it seems a little hasty and uncharitable to jump to the conclusion that she was criticising Mental Magpie.

Bluenomi

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 02:08:17 AM »
You did good OP. Plus now you've been 'baptised' so to speak by your soon to be daughter so you're really part of the family!

lowspark

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
I didn't think of this before but let's take the child part completely out of the equation.

Let's say you were the one who suddenly and without warning threw up in the theatre. Would you then just sit there and not move? Or would you want to get out of there as quickly as possible?

Now, yes, you might sit there for a minute or two, trying to pull yourself together since you're going to have to get yourself out of there under your own power. But given the choice, wouldn't you rather just get out of that theatre asap? Anyway, I know I would.

So, by the same token, you'd want to get the child out asap. Seriously, would MIL not  have gone to the restroom immediately had she been the one to throw up?

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I didn't think of this before but let's take the child part completely out of the equation.

Let's say you were the one who suddenly and without warning threw up in the theatre. Would you then just sit there and not move? Or would you want to get out of there as quickly as possible?

Now, yes, you might sit there for a minute or two, trying to pull yourself together since you're going to have to get yourself out of there under your own power. But given the choice, wouldn't you rather just get out of that theatre asap? Anyway, I know I would.

So, by the same token, you'd want to get the child out asap. Seriously, would MIL not  have gone to the restroom immediately had she been the one to throw up?

Very good point. As mentioned upthread, I had the misfortune to throw up in a train station recently. My primary goal was to get out of there ASAP, for everyone's sake (especially my own); not hang around and see what would happen next.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words.  I wish puke was the first thing she has gotten on me...now that I've had the trifecta (urine, feces, and vomit), I've been inducted into motherhood...or so DF keeps telling me.

I can see where FMIL's words come across as criticizing; I thought they were at first, too.  Like I said earlier, though, I think she and my mother were made from the same stock.  They both are trying to give advice but don't understand how to word it without sounding judgmental. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:48 AM »
You did the right thing by removing her from the situation and saving her more embarrassment.

I still recall the day I was grocery shopping and saw a mother with a six year old who looked a little green. They walked into the produce aisle and the little boy suddenly leaned over and threw up on the floor. His mother glanced at the mess and encouraged him to stay with her because "the store will clean it up."

This poor little boy got sick four times in the aisle while his mother slowly and casually shopped. I wanted to slap her in the mouth and tell her that her child was sick and needed to go right home to bed. I might have thought differently if she had hurried up to finish. But no, she kept walking at a leisure pace like she didn't even care.

I informed one of the cashiers of the vomit because I had concerns about food contamination.

Once, I unexpectedly got sick to my stomach in a certain Mart store. I grabbed one of the plastic bags and got sick in it, then threw it in the trash. It was embarrassing. I apologized and paid for my purchases(ironically, one was a new bucket for mopping as the handle on the old one broke) and got the heck out for fear of spreading whatever made me ill.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."