Author Topic: Applying for a job in a different region  (Read 1132 times)

SPuck

Applying for a job in a different region
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
I'm going to be applying for a couple positions where my brother and sister-in-law own a house, and live (rent) with them in the stars line up and the hiring people are in a good mood. I wanted to put my brother's address down on the cover letters and resume, but he said that would be lying. On the other hand I have checked out resume websites, and they say when apply some where you don't live you should get a PO Box or apply from the place your going to be living. Is there anyway I can say in the cover letter/resume that I have access to housing in the region so where I am applying from isn't a issue, or should I just put my brother's address down?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Applying for a job in a different region
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Hmm. I guess my question is, do you feel that putting your current, actual address on the resume will somehow count against you? I've not heard that to be an issue myself, but it could be dependent on the field or country you live in. If we are talking all within the US, and the company is in New York and your current address is California, I think they would logically assume that you would move closer if you were hired.

From a practical standpoint, I'd think putting down an address where you don't actually live could result in slower communication--if they end up mailing you documents or something, then your brother has to pass them on to you. Also, if he doesn't want you to use his address before you actually live there, I think that should be respected.
~Lynn2000

SPuck

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:06:59 PM »
From a practical standpoint, I'd think putting down an address where you don't actually live could result in slower communication--if they end up mailing you documents or something, then your brother has to pass them on to you. Also, if he doesn't want you to use his address before you actually live there, I think that should be respected.

My brother's issue stemmed from if the questioned me about the address, not that he minded putting down the address.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
If you get the job, your brother's address will be your address.  I would definitely put his address down.  If you brother is worried about you being asked about that, put your current address down, too.

I was knocked on a job interview for not having a local address.  I was asked in the interview what I planned to do and told them I would be moving if I got the job but it did count against me.  And I didn't get the job.  If you are asked in the interview, just tell them:  My brother lives in City and I have arranged to live with him, should I be the successful candidate, giving me time to find a place of my own.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BigBadBetty

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
Could you put both a current address and a future address? I've seen people put temporary and permanent addresses on resumes. (We hire many students who have 2 addresses.) You might want to explain in the cover letter that you have a secured a place to live in future city so that they know you are serious.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
Could you put both a current address and a future address? I've seen people put temporary and permanent addresses on resumes. (We hire many students who have 2 addresses.) You might want to explain in the cover letter that you have a secured a place to live in future city so that they know you are serious.

The double address thing is something I've seen, too, now that I think of it, again with students. I guess if you're planning to move in with your brother for certain, it makes more sense to me to use his address--if someone says, "You live at X, right?" you could say, "I'll be moving to that location on March 15; currently I'm at Y." So, no matter whether you get that particular job or not, you'll be moving to address X on March 15. That would be an easy enough thing to mention in the cover letter, just a line or two.

I think it would be shadier if you weren't necessarily planning to move there unless you got a job--using your brother's address in New York, your cousin's in Florida, your aunt's in Michigan, etc.. I don't know if that's actually wrong in some way but it feels off to me.

When I help interview college students to be part-time interns in our office, I always ask if they have their own apartment in town. My boss doesn't like the idea of them commuting in from other towns--I think it's a little negative of her, but she feels they'll be flakier and more likely to cancel their shift on a given day if they have to drive very far. Plus if it's winter she'll worry about them driving in bad weather. And if anyone applies who isn't currently a student at our university--even if they have firm plans to start soon--they're out of the running entirely. I find it a little irrational, but that's how she is--I guess I was hoping other people in more regulated industries didn't have biases like that.  :-\
~Lynn2000

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
Do you expect the company to move you?  Then don't put your brother's address.
Do you not expect them to move you?  Then you need to be (or appear to be) local.

Library Dragon

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:08:06 AM »

This would be helpful. It makes it clear you have a current connection to the area. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

SPuck

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »
Do you expect the company to move you?  Then don't put your brother's address.
Do you not expect them to move you?  Then you need to be (or appear to be) local.

I just expect to move myself. By brother only lives about an hour to two hours away depending on the traffic. It's easy to get everything there just not do a daily commute.

Anyone have any suggestions what the double addresses should like on the document? I can't find any examples online.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
I just expect to move myself. By brother only lives about an hour to two hours away depending on the traffic. It's easy to get everything there just not do a daily commute.

Anyone have any suggestions what the double addresses should like on the document? I can't find any examples online.

Ah, I do think that changes things--I was thinking you were moving a very long distance. If currently you live close enough that some people would commute, I can see how that might influence a company's thinking negatively--well, it would my boss, anyway. We would ask for clarification during the pre-interview process, but maybe other places wouldn't.

Sometimes the address goes on the left side above the salutation--maybe do "Current Address" then tab over and put your "Address as of March 15" right next to it? All lined up neatly and all.
~Lynn2000