Author Topic: Boss says I'm too polite #24 (progress) #39 (info + update)  (Read 5346 times)

veronaz

Re: Boss says I'm too polite #24 (progress)
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »
AS it is you're still asking

That was the problem I saw. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
AS it is you're still asking

That was the problem I saw.

Exactly.  Since OP is using a translator , I'm not sure what "Is this possible?" is asking(is it asking for reply? to inform OP of conflicts?asking an opinion if task can be completed in that time frame or actually asking "can you do this?")   But you're right "is that possible?" leave room for "no , that's not possible"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
Then again, "not possible" doesn't mean "I don't want to"; it means "It's not possible"--something like "It cannot be done," perhaps because "  won't be finished with the other job by then"; "The missing part won't have arrived yet" or "I don't have the certification to do that job."

We use "It's not possible" here at EHell to really mean "I don't want to," but that isn't actually what it means. Especially not through a translation program.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »
Then again, "not possible" doesn't mean "I don't want to"; it means "It's not possible"--something like "It cannot be done," perhaps because "  won't be finished with the other job by then"; "The missing part won't have arrived yet" or "I don't have the certification to do that job."

We use "It's not possible" here at EHell to really mean "I don't want to," but that isn't actually what it means. Especially not through a translation program.

Yes Toot I know "I don't want to " is an Ehell use of "not possible".   I'm asking if she intends to ask "is this possible?" or is she politely saying "confirm this appointment" or something in between. 

Isilleke

Re: Boss says I'm too polite #24 (progress) #33 (additional background)
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
OP here.

To answer the question about the "is it possible". I try to give them as little room as I can, but the thing is, I work with unemployed people. When a big company doesn't have enough people, they call us and we look for people to fill in. Most of the time they are willing to reschedule (since working means about 3 to 4 times the amount of money they would have received otherwise), but I recognize that's not always possible.

Which is why I feel uncomfortable about giving them no choice at all.

I have started to be more firm and to let people know when something's bothering me. E.g. one out of two weeks I'm responsible for getting people out of bed and to their jobs. Before when they didn't answer I didn't call them on it, now I do. (And yes, I think it's very strange I have to call grown men out of bed because they can't be bothered otherwise.)

SCMagnolia

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »
E.g. one out of two weeks I'm responsible for getting people out of bed and to their jobs. Before when they didn't answer I didn't call them on it, now I do. (And yes, I think it's very strange I have to call grown men out of bed because they can't be bothered otherwise.)

It's not just very strange, it is absolutely ridiculous.  You aren't their mother.  Getting out of bed and getting to work is THEIR responsibility, not yours, and if they can't do it, I am sure there are quite a few other people that will. 

Same with giving them an option about a job.  If they really want the job, they'll take it.  If not, someone else will.  There are plenty of people in this country looking for work.  Those that are serious will take the job you call them about, get out of bed, and be on time without any additional prodding/assistance from you.  Those that aren't serious will hem and haw about the job, sleep in, and skip work.  It's not your responsibility to rescue people from their own irresponsible behavior.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
E.g. one out of two weeks I'm responsible for getting people out of bed and to their jobs. Before when they didn't answer I didn't call them on it, now I do. (And yes, I think it's very strange I have to call grown men out of bed because they can't be bothered otherwise.)

It's not just very strange, it is absolutely ridiculous.  You aren't their mother.  Getting out of bed and getting to work is THEIR responsibility, not yours, and if they can't do it, I am sure there are quite a few other people that will. 

Same with giving them an option about a job.  If they really want the job, they'll take it.  If not, someone else will.  There are plenty of people in this country looking for work.  Those that are serious will take the job you call them about, get out of bed, and be on time without any additional prodding/assistance from you.  Those that aren't serious will hem and haw about the job, sleep in, and skip work.  It's not your responsibility to rescue people from their own irresponsible behavior.

Wait we dont know what OPs job is , some "life skills/training" classes , service providers do help people just get to work.

I think asking if someone is available for temp assignments is appropriate.  The wording may still need to be firmer.

veronaz

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »

??? :o

That is outrageous, but I want to make sure we understand.

OP, exactly what do you mean when you say you’re “responsible” for doing these things?

Do you have to call them and offer a job and give details so they can accept or refuse?

OR

Do you have to call them and wake them up, go to their home and physically get them out of bed, and physically take them to work?  And is that written in your job description?

SPuck

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
Isilleke, I would like to know more about what you do for a living, but when it comes to speaking "Are you available on A, B, and C dates at X, Y, and Z times" is a firm response that does give your clients wiggle room. If they reject your times that is their choice.

Isilleke

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:27 PM »
Hi everyone

since there seems to be much confusion about what I do, it basically comes down to this.

We have clients and they call us when they don't have enough workmen. Then we call some of our guys and tell them "this job tomorrow, those are the hours, can you do it." (Except I shouldn't say can you do it)

The ones who are going to work that day, we call about an hour before they have to start working, to see if they are up and/or ready to go. If they aren't responding, we have to make sure that we have a backup plan.

Now for a positive update
I did get a compliment about my wording this week. My boss said that I seemed to be working here for years (instead of 3 months) the way I talked at the phone that day, so that's a good thing!

veronaz

Re: Boss says I'm too polite #24 (progress) #39 (info + update)
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
OP, I appreciate your clarification.  However, it changes the picture considerably.  You are not “responsible for getting workers out of bed”.  You make a confirmation call to assure they are going to report to work.  That is very different.  When you call, they may/may not actually be “in bed”.

I know someone who used to work in the scheduling office of a labor pool.  He did the same thing – not fun but not unreasonable.  It was part of the job.