News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 29, 2015, 01:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did you do with your wedding dress after the wedding?  (Read 5654 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: What did you do with your wedding dress after the wedding?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
My mom had a portion of hers turned into a baptismal gown about 40 years after the wedding.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:32 AM »
The danger in saving the dress for a hypothetical daughter isn't just that it's out of style, but daughter won't have the same build as you.  I saved mine "just in case", but DD is already 5'8 and 115 pounds of muscle-takes after her dad  ;D.  The dress went to a thrift (I bought it at a marked-down store myself), the veil became a craft project.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
I made my wedding dress, and it was a very simple dress, plain white satin with a lace yoke and sleeves, suitable for an older bride.  It's size 26.  There are no daughters or granddaughters in line waiting for it, and my nieces would probably die before they'd wear their aunt's dress.  I still have it.  I made my veil; although it looked very nice once I was finished I had used so many shortcuts making it I'm surprised it didn't fall apart the first time I sneezed while wearing it.

princessofthelake

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »
Sice we are going to Hawaii for our Honeymoon I am thinking of taking our wedding clothes and have our friends who are coming with us (she is a photographer) take a snap of of us jumping into the ocean wearing our wedding day clothing.  The dress will be ruined but it could be fun!

HannahGrace

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »
Sice we are going to Hawaii for our Honeymoon I am thinking of taking our wedding clothes and have our friends who are coming with us (she is a photographer) take a snap of of us jumping into the ocean wearing our wedding day clothing.  The dress will be ruined but it could be fun!

Wouldn't you rather donate it to charity or otherwise not waste it?

lowspark

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

I kind of like your idea princessofthelake, although it sounds like it might be a lot of effort for the one picture as the clothes will probably be bulky and take up a lot of valuable luggage space.  ;)

But it's interesting that doing that might be perceived as wasting it, whereas storing it in a box in a closet for years on end is not. I'm totally not judging that response, HannahGrace, just that it made me think that really, anything other than somehow getting it worn or somehow used again could be considered a waste.

As I mentioned when I started this thread, my dress has been boxed up since 1980, and is not ever going to be worn again unless styles somehow drastically change in my lifetime, which I doubt. I ended up cutting up my veil to sort of dress up a wire mannequin I have in my guest bedroom. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.

It was hard to make that first cut but I'm glad I did it. The dress is awaiting some kind of similar fate. I just have to figure out what I want to do with it (probably make some pillows) and how I want to do it.

mandycorn

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2015, 11:06:01 AM »
I'm a big fan of taking lots of photos, even if they may result in the dress getting dirty/ruined/unwearable because almost everyone I know has at least one wedding photo displayed in their home, but most of their dresses are bundled up in a closet or attic somewhere. I wouldn't consider the jumping in the ocean photo a waste of the dress at all.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

HannahGrace

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »

I kind of like your idea princessofthelake, although it sounds like it might be a lot of effort for the one picture as the clothes will probably be bulky and take up a lot of valuable luggage space.  ;)

But it's interesting that doing that might be perceived as wasting it, whereas storing it in a box in a closet for years on end is not. I'm totally not judging that response, HannahGrace, just that it made me think that really, anything other than somehow getting it worn or somehow used again could be considered a waste.

As I mentioned when I started this thread, my dress has been boxed up since 1980, and is not ever going to be worn again unless styles somehow drastically change in my lifetime, which I doubt. I ended up cutting up my veil to sort of dress up a wire mannequin I have in my guest bedroom. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.

It was hard to make that first cut but I'm glad I did it. The dress is awaiting some kind of similar fate. I just have to figure out what I want to do with it (probably make some pillows) and how I want to do it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound judgey either.  For myself, it felt incredibly indulgent to buy a dress for one day, and one way I can feel a little less guilty about it is to pass it along to someone else so that they can use it; if for some reason the charity doesn't want it, I would make something out of it so at least it has some utility beyond a single day.  I understand not everyone feels that way.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
I stand on my earlier suggestion of donating it to a theatre or opera company.  It could end up with fake blood on it for Lucia's mad scene.   ;D

HannahGrace

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
I stand on my earlier suggestion of donating it to a theatre or opera company.  It could end up with fake blood on it for Lucia's mad scene.   ;D

Oh, that is a great idea!  I will add it to my list.  I have a number of friends involved in local theater.

lowspark

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:39 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound judgey either.  For myself, it felt incredibly indulgent to buy a dress for one day, and one way I can feel a little less guilty about it is to pass it along to someone else so that they can use it; if for some reason the charity doesn't want it, I would make something out of it so at least it has some utility beyond a single day.  I understand not everyone feels that way.

I didn't interpret your post as judgey at all! I didn't mean to imply I did. :)

It just occurred to me, reading your post, that I sort of did waste my dress by boxing it up all those years. I mean, at that time, it might have actually been useful to someone else. Maybe. But now? It's just an old dress that no one would ever want to wear again. Which is why I really am trying to make it useful again.   :D

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Those 80's dresses that are blinged out in pearls make really cool tablecloths for non-eating tables at a wedding reception.  Often times people box them up, then donate them 20 years later when their daughters so "Ewwww".  Even though it is extremely out of fashion now.  There is something about pearls on white satin that screams Wedding. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
I wear mine to work sometimes.

It is the policy of the United States Navy to neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons aboard its vessels.

Alicia

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
Wonderful wedding pic. You both look great and hey outfits can be worn again.

CakeEater

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »

I couldn't find the link quickly, but I ready a story of a Canadian woman who drowned while doing that -the dress became very heavy once wet, and she was dragged down.

Not to put too much of a dampener on the idea - but just be careful.