Author Topic: Help me with choosing a dress for my nephews wedding  (Read 309 times)

POF

Help me with choosing a dress for my nephews wedding
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »
I could use some advice here !

I am so not clothes conscious..... I have to dress professionally for my job - trouser suits, skirted suits, jacket dresses - and these things i can handle ! .  Other times I wear jeans.  Most evening things I do I can wear something from my work clothes  - or I am wearing jeans, just don't have any cocktail party type dresses.

Nephew's wedding is in mid/late October.  Ceremony is on top of a mountain - accessible by ski lift. I am not attending that ( vertigo and motion sickness concerns ) .  So I will be attending the reception.

I recently gained quite a bit of weight due to a course of medication.  So I will be in a plus size outfit. Other than generally puffiness from some of the stereiods, I have a layer of muscle underneath - so not terribly flabby.

I am in my early 50's and have been to a few family events where the other women my generation where wearing clothes that were really too young for them ( hippie chic, see through and too much saggy cleavage ) . 

I want something flattering , age appropriate, event appropriate and comfortable.  With my coloring - I look great in black, dark blues, deep greens.  I like sheath dresses, but most of the ones I am finding are sleeveless. 

So - some specific questions - I would appreciate any ideas you might have.

1) is a black sheath dress with colorful jewelry or a dramatic stole - OK ?    I bought a sleeved aalck sheath dress, that I think is a bit on the dowdy side, but it fits perfectly, very slimming, very comfortable and I could sparkle it up with accessories.  I have a beautiful windowpane scarf a friend brought my from Italy that would look great with it. 

I have a vintage bubblegum pink Jackie O' jacket - that I usually wear with a sleeveless black sheath dress for work.  It's a dressier outfit for certain meetings.  I always get great comments on it, but I don't know if it is OK for a wedding reception.  its at a ski resort, from 6:00 - whenever.

Am I seriously over thinking this ? I guess with the weight gain ( which I am working ) on I feel blah about myself and not as confident about my appearance.

Thanks

Maude

Re: Help me with choosing a dress for my nephews wedding
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:14:29 AM »
Black velvet pants (not skinny pants )
Black low heels
Black evening sweater(scooped neckline but not showing cleavage )
Your beautiful scarf (if it goes with)
Your pink jacket.

Wear warm underthings.It will probably be cold
even at the foot of the mountain.

POF

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
Great idea, I was so hooked on dresses, that I am thinking maybe a skirt and an evening type sweater would work, I am not sure pants would be OK - but maybe.  Great ideas.  Thanks

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Black sheath dresses are very common for weddings in my experience and with either the scarf or jacket I think it would be great.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
I like the black dress and pink jacket idea, and also the black pantsuit idea. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »
The accessories you mentioned sound fine for a Wedding.  I also think that a pair of what used go be called Palazzo pants would be appropriate.  Either one would be smashing with the pink jacket. 

May I second the idea of wearing something fairly warm.  Even in the summer, ski areas can be cool. 

Above all, don't stew about things.  You'll look and feel just fine. 

POF

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'll be indoors and thanks to changing hormones - I never get cold.  I really like separates = much more flexible for me than a dress.  no one will be looking at me anyway - the bride is really a beautiful girl.

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
Pink jacket and black dress = sounds great!

If you wanted to get a little fancier, you could add some sparkly accessories to that outfit, or skip the jacket and go blingy. I do think it's a bit early in the year for a stole, but it probably depends on the individual item.

I was at a cocktail-y event last night and the trends I noticed that you could pop into your ensemble with ease are: big, shiny jewelry; slightly more elaborate curled hair than I'm used to, some with pins or headbands (but not updos!); and very chunky/thick-strappy, low- to no-heel sandals.

I probably would pick one or two (and not pair a chunky sandal with the pink coat), but those are some ways to be somewhat hip without being too 'young,' I think.

POF

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »
Pink jacket and black dress = sounds great!

If you wanted to get a little fancier, you could add some sparkly accessories to that outfit, or skip the jacket and go blingy. I do think it's a bit early in the year for a stole, but it probably depends on the individual item.

I was at a cocktail-y event last night and the trends I noticed that you could pop into your ensemble with ease are: big, shiny jewelry; slightly more elaborate curled hair than I'm used to, some with pins or headbands (but not updos!); and very chunky/thick-strappy, low- to no-heel sandals.

I probably would pick one or two (and not pair a chunky sandal with the pink coat), but those are some ways to be somewhat hip without being too 'young,' I think.

Thanks again, I agree with big shiny jewelry.  i actually have a few estate pieces that are great without being costumey.  I also don't care for the chunky sandal look - not flattering to my legs.  I'd like to find a pair of black pumps with some pink detailing.

metallicafan

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »
The dress and jacket sound very pretty!  My suggestions are to pair it with a statement necklace,  and shoes/ clutch in either patent leather, or a fabric material, perhaps like a matte satin type.  Pink detailing would be great if you can find it!

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »
Sounds good!

(I have skinny calves and am average height, and I still don't like how those chunky shoes make my legs look! I was just pointing out that they seem to be the trendy shoe.)

POF

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
Actually they are really comfy and I have a few pairs that I wear to work.