News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 29, 2016, 07:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this an appropriate dress for a guest?  (Read 998 times)

lkb

Is this an appropriate dress for a guest?
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »
Hello:

I'll be attending a family member's wedding soon, billed as "semi-formal". I happened to find a dress I really like online -- a knee-length purple infinity dress. It is a jersey-knit-type fabric with no shine to it at all. I intend to wear it with a white shawl for the ceremony itself.

The only trouble is when looking up ways to tie it, I keep seeing it referred to as an infinity bridesmaid's dress. I am considerably older than the bridal party and the dress is not in one of the wedding colors. Do you think this will be all right? (I have no clue as to what the actual bridesmaids are wearing.)

Thanks.

Outdoor Girl

Re: Is this an appropriate dress for a guest?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
I think the dress sounds fine though I would probably wear a shawl that was something other than white, if you have something available.  I have this vintage silver metallic one that goes really nicely with purple.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Luci

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
it will probably look like an ordinary cocktail dress, so it will be fine.

What does "bridesmaid dress" mean anyway?

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
Sounds totally fine. They just slap labels on things for search engines. There may be a trend on Pinterest, or something, of marketing infinity dresses for bridal parties because you can wear the same dress different ways.

Matte Jersey is certainly not going to look bridesmaidish.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
Sounds great to me. I wouldn't worry about the white shawl either. Where I live, all white or primarily white is still a no-no but a white accent is perfectly fine.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
I have a red infinity dress and one of my friends has a green one that was a bridesmaid dress. There is no functional difference in either of them, except that hers is longer (because the bride wanted a longer than knee length dress).

FTR, I love my infinity dress, and since I've gained about 20lbs from chronic illness/disability, it's the only dress I have that I can nearly completely control the fit of, and fits comfortably even at my larger size. I still do regular searches for various ways of tying it, as well as sometimes say "heck with it" and just fiddle around with it until it's tied in a way that looks cool and feels secure to me.

Depending on how you're going to tie it, you may want to invest in some flash tape (http://www.amazon.com/Braza-Flash-Tape-Sided-Clothing/dp/B00KBYFH1M) in case you want to secure any particular part of the top a bit. I've used it when I'm doing a wrap that is a bit plunging or seems like it might slip on my...ahem...side-boob area. ;)
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

gellchom

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »
It sounds perfect.  I agree, someone just put "bridesmaid dress" in there to draw internet searches.  A dress is a dress, for that matter even if the wearer originally got it as a bridesmaid dress.  You are avoiding looking like the bridesmaids at this wedding, and that's all that matters.

The white shawl will be just fine, too.  Don't give that a second thought.  A white shawl simply doesn't make you look like you're competing with the bride.

Let's see a picture!  (Not in order to make sure it's fine -- it is -- it's just fun!)

cross_patch

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:18:36 PM »
Hello:

I'll be attending a family member's wedding soon, billed as "semi-formal". I happened to find a dress I really like online -- a knee-length purple infinity dress. It is a jersey-knit-type fabric with no shine to it at all. I intend to wear it with a white shawl for the ceremony itself.

The only trouble is when looking up ways to tie it, I keep seeing it referred to as an infinity bridesmaid's dress. I am considerably older than the bridal party and the dress is not in one of the wedding colors. Do you think this will be all right? (I have no clue as to what the actual bridesmaids are wearing.)

Thanks.

I mean, I think an infinity dress is totally a bridesmaid-y dress (I've never seen them as anything else) but I wouldn't think you'd look in the slightest like you were a bridesmaid in this wedding, or trying to be - I'd more than likely assume you were re-using the dress from another wedding you were in and think 'good on her'.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Hello:

Thanks.

I mean, I think an infinity dress is totally a bridesmaid-y dress (I've never seen them as anything else) but I wouldn't think you'd look in the slightest like you were a bridesmaid in this wedding, or trying to be - I'd more than likely assume you were re-using the dress from another wedding you were in and think 'good on her'.

Really? My experience is totally opposite. I've never seen an infinity bridesmaid dress, only for other things.

Then again, none of the weddings I've been to in the last maybe 5 years had bridesmaids at all.

rose red

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
I had to look up what an infinity dress is. To me, they look like fancy but not formal dresses. I think it's appropriate for wedding guests.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
What does "bridesmaid dress" mean anyway?

It means something that is marked up 150% because they have you over a barrel. Bonus if it comes with a butt-bow. See also "mother of the bride."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.