Author Topic: What did you do with your wedding dress after the wedding?  (Read 3044 times)

mandycorn

Re: What did you do with your wedding dress after the wedding?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »
Coincidentally, my mom just took both my sisters' dresses to be cleaned and preserved last week.

One sister's was from 5 years ago and had never been cleaned and the other one was from last month and got super muddy at the outdoor reception. She took them both to the bridal shop that sold us the newer dress and they said that for $250 a piece, they would do all the cleaning, fold everything neatly, and get them into display boxes. The nice thing is that they boxes won't be totally sealed up, so if my sisters want to get them out (and have to refold them themselves) they can, but they'll take up a lot less room than they did hanging in the closet.

When my youngest sister got engaged, the first dress she tried on was my middle sister's dress, so I'm looking forward to (eventually/hopefully) getting to do the same with both their dresses when I get engaged.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
I would find some way to use it now, otherwise it will just fall apart or be used in a less respectful way. 

At my wedding, I used a 80's wedding dress that I bought at Goodwill for $5 as my cake table tablecloth.  It made a great tablecloth, but the original owner probably would have gotten more joy out of it as pillows. 

Mine was actually two parts.  The skirt was poofy Silk Organza.  I could make/buy a different bodice and wear it as fancy dress.

Browyn

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »
After my Mom passed away I discovered I had not only my dress, but now her's (1959) and my Grandmothers's (1906).

I donated Grannie's to a local museum.  It was beautiful and seemed a shame to keep it tucked away in a box.  It was also far to fragile for anyone to wear.

If I do this right you will see my Grandparents wedding picture with her dress.

daen

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
Mine is hanging in my hall closet, uncleaned. It's been almost five years.

I had intentions of bringing it back to the bridal consignment store where I bought it, but they've vanished under peculiar circumstances since. I've considered bringing it to a local thrift store, turning it into a quilt, donating it to the local theatre group, or contacting a crafter I saw that makes fabric play tents, but none of these seems to be quite the right thing.

Maybe I'll wash it and see how it fares, and decide based on that. If it cleans up completely, I can post it on the local website. If not, I can look into craft or theatre applications.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
I've been married three times.  The first time I eloped and wore a dress I liked so I just kept on wearing my "wedding dress" for whenever I felt like it until it was out of style for the time.  The second time I wore a strapless wedding gown and I donated it to Goodwill.  I think it cost maybe $100 at David's Bridal and fit me off the rack so there would have been no point in preserving or selling it, plus I wanted no memories from that wedding after my husband died.  The third time I wore an ivory Kate Hudson for Ann Taylor sleeveless and above the knee silk dress.  I fully intend to where it again should the opportunity present itself (just not to someone else's wedding).  I also had two different dresses that I wore for the reception for my first and third weddings - the one for the third wedding is very nice white cotton eyelet sleeveless above the knee "frock" that I have worn regularly since.  I usually will spice it up with a belt or ribbon belt so it looks less bridal and more summery.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2014, 02:03:27 AM »
I was married twice. First time I wore a borrowed dress ( it was a white cotton Mexican wedding dress) which I think cost 100$ at the time ( late 70s - early 80 s). It was hanging in a closet in our parent's house but it wasn't properly cared for and by the time my sisters were getting married it was all bedraggled, plus they were both the satinny/poufy wedding gown types.

Second wedding I wore an ivory suit that I still have. I wore it a few times afterwards. Not sure why I'm still keeping it, that marriage was terrible and ended in a sticky divorce, plus that suit really isn't * me*.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kudeebee

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 04:07:31 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread, so these may have been mentioned:
1.  make it into a bassinet cover
2.  Make it into a christening outfit
3.  donate to an organization that makes angel dresses for burial of babies

thegoodone

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
I ordered my dress from JC Penny's and paid $200 for it back in 1996.....I loaned it to a girl from Trinidad who was here in this country and getting married....she had it cleaned and returned it....minus the slip that made it stand out....but, it was cleaned and in a nice bag....I tried to sell it in a consignment shop but it didn't go....I tried to donate to an organization that helps brides with breast cancer but it was "out of style."  So, it sits in my closet....I may look into making it into pillow covers.....

thegoodone

« Reply #53 on: Today at 12:52:50 AM »
Right after I posted, I heard about the place in Ft. Worth that makes outfits for babies in NICU that doesn't make it home from the hospital.  I sent it there.....sad but glad it is being used for such a good cause...