News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 07, 2016, 10:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help choosing what to wear for wedding - *amusing interim U/D*#20, final UD#35  (Read 3260 times)

gellchom

Well the ceremony is outdoors at 4:00pm but I don't see any indication in the OP as to where, what and when the reception is. Perhaps I missed it. That would be what sets my standard. I don't think that a ceremony happening before 5:00pm is really the standard of formality. I'm pretty sure that the only time I've ever in my life been to a ceremony after 5:00pm it was an outdoor wedding.

Really?  I go to many.  My daughter's wedding was at 6:30; mine was 6 or 6:30; I don't remember exactly. 

I think different communities and religions may make a difference here.  I believe in some churches ceremonies have or at one time had to be in the morning or anyway during the day, so some people still have the reception several hours later.  It seems several ehellions who live in the UK report that that is common; do I have that

Jewish weddings can't be on Friday evenings, or on Saturdays until about an hour after sunset.  So if you want a weekend evening wedding, you have to do a winter Saturday after dark or else Sunday of a three-day weekend -- which is why those are so popular for Jewish weddings.  Mine was Sunday July 4, both my children did Labor Day weekend, and my sister-in-law and niece both did Memorial Day weekends. 

So I guess that's one reason why different communities are used to daytime or evening weddings.

lmyrs

Yes really. I have been to over 100 weddings (large family and small town and large group of university and high school friends and work colleagues plus extensive travelling).  A variety if cultures and norms and communities and countries. And literally one I can think of that had an evening ceremony. The most formal wedding I've attended was a few provinces over and it had a 2:00 pm ceremony. And it was "black tie optional" so tuxes not required but suits and long dresses.

cross_patch

Yes really. I have been to over 100 weddings (large family and small town and large group of university and high school friends and work colleagues plus extensive travelling).  A variety if cultures and norms and communities and countries. And literally one I can think of that had an evening ceremony. The most formal wedding I've attended was a few provinces over and it had a 2:00 pm ceremony. And it was "black tie optional" so tuxes not required but suits and long dresses.

Yes, all the weddings I have been to are the same. I'm not sure why that would be surprising!

gellchom

Yes, all the weddings I have been to are the same. I'm not sure why that would be surprising!
It's not surprising, just really interesting!  Yet another example of how much things vary by community.  One of the nicest things about ehell is the opportunity to learn about those differences, don't you think? 

Hmmmmm

It's not surprising, just really interesting!  Yet another example of how much things vary by community.  One of the nicest things about ehell is the opportunity to learn about those differences, don't you think?

Actually, I find it surprising as I'd never thought about evening weddings not being universally common. I knew in the UK a morning ceremony was more common but hadn't thought about other countries or areas. I'm also surprised that in lymr's area that Black Tie Optional requires long dresses as the US Emily Post standard says it's long dresses or cocktail dresses.

cicero

OP here.  Thanks everyone for your input.  I ended up buying this dress
Other women were wearing similar styles,  lots of black,  mostly short,  knee length,  with some longer dresses,  lots of lace and sequins.

The good news is that this dress is two sizes smaller than my original beautiful blue dress.  Even taking into account the sizing differences between manufacturers,  that's still something.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Very nice and classy!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

gellchom

Love it!  I'm sure you looked great and got lots of compliments.  And it sounds like it was a perfect choice.

Two sizes!  Wow!  Yay for you!

cicero

thanks!

Two sizes!  Wow!  Yay for you!
yes, i'm pretty excited. stilll got a few sizes to go but i'm really happy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools