News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 30, 2016, 01:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this ok to wear to late winter, afternoon wedding, with no dress code?  (Read 1536 times)

gellchom

It's a bit dressier than I'd normally wear for a daytime outdoor wedding, but since the reception is evening, it looks fine. I like the suggestion upthread of dressing it down slightly for the ceremony and back up for the reception.

I pretty much agree with this.  I do think it would be too dressy if everything were in the afternoon.  But if the evening reception is to be dressy, then I think it's fine for the ceremony, too.

But I would ask if they think people will be wearing long gowns or short party dresses or something less dressy than that.  Especially because you said that on you the dress is floor length, not ankle length.  I would feel self-conscious being the only guest in an evening gown when the other guests aren't even in evening clothes, just nice daytime dresses and pants.  I don't know about Australia, but in my community, unless the invitation says "black tie," no one would wear a long evening gown.

If only a few women will be wearing party clothes, maybe you could shorten it a little so it's more like a maxi, and wear more casual, daytime shoes and cardigan with it for the ceremony, and then switch to party shoes and jewelry for the reception.

(Probably my advice would be not to go with a long dress under these circumstances, but I really love that beautiful dress!)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:40:56 PM by gellchom »

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
re: hemline, if you'll be walking on grass or any kind of uneven ground, you'll want a hem that won't trip you. Just having it taken up a scosh shouldn't be very expensive, if you're not a sewist yourself.

cross_patch

It's a bit dressier than I'd normally wear for a daytime outdoor wedding, but since the reception is evening, it looks fine. I like the suggestion upthread of dressing it down slightly for the ceremony and back up for the reception.

I pretty much agree with this.  I do think it would be too dressy if everything were in the afternoon.  But if the evening reception is to be dressy, then I think it's fine for the ceremony, too.

But I would ask if they think people will be wearing long gowns or short party dresses or something less dressy than that.  Especially because you said that on you the dress is floor length, not ankle length.  I would feel self-conscious being the only guest in an evening gown when the other guests aren't even in evening clothes, just nice daytime dresses and pants.  I don't know about Australia, but in my community, unless the invitation says "black tie," no one would wear a long evening gown.

If only a few women will be wearing party clothes, maybe you could shorten it a little so it's more like a maxi, and wear more casual, daytime shoes and cardigan with it for the ceremony, and then switch to party shoes and jewelry for the reception.

(Probably my advice would be not to go with a long dress under these circumstances, but I really love that beautiful dress!)

It is a lovely dress, but to me it seems more like an evening dress and even for an evening reception the sequins read as a bit too formal. I'm not entirely sure you can dress down a sequined floor length dress enough to be appropriate. Where is the wedding being held?

Also, it's coming up as sold out for me - just wanted to give you a heads up!

aussie_chick

Thanks to everyone for your input. Whilst the feedback is divided, I think that makes the choice easier!
I really love the suggestions about dressing the dress down rather than up. I can leave my hear tousled and down, wear a cardigan, take up the hem (you're absolutely right about the hem needing to go up a little when walking outside) and leavie the blingy jewellery behind for this occasion.
I actually bought this dress last time it came up in the clearance and I paid $35 Australian for it and not $65 so it was a complete bargain! I figure for that price, if I only ever wear it once or twice it's been worth it.
If there is unseasonal warmer weather, I can always switch it for a knee length dress I have.

Thanks everyone. It's good to be back! :)

Lady Tempest

I think it's a great choice, and I need one just like it for my cousin's wedding in October.  Thanks, Aussie Chick!

kglory

Gorgeous dress! Your plans to dress it down & take up the hem sound perfect. Have a wonderful time!

metallicafan

I think the dress is beautiful.   And you can dress it down a little.