News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 31, 2016, 07:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wedding guest dressed like a bride?  (Read 675 times)

lellah

Wedding guest dressed like a bride?
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
I'm invited to a casual back yard wedding and was intending to wear a flowered sundress. I just learned that the brides will also be wearing flowered dresses. I made mine myself, using some vintage fabric, so it's unlikely I'll resemble either of my friends, but I don't want to distract at all. Should I choose a different outfit? The alternative dress is one I wore at an event connected to my own wedding. Although it's decidedly un-bridal, both the brides and several guests at the wedding were at that event. Would that be in poor taste?

magicdomino

Re: Wedding guest dressed like a bride?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:59 AM »
I vote that it is fine.  Flowered fabric comes in many different styles and colors, enough that the odds are that your dress and the bridesmaids' dresses are different.  There might be a problem if your flowered print has a lot of white background, though.  Then you really might look like your dressed like a bride.   ;)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »
If it's unlikely that you'll match the bridesmaids, you're fine.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:16:40 AM by Harriet Jones »

HannahGrace

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
I think OP is talking about the brides themselves, not bridesmaids.

OP, I think you are fine - if it's a casual backyard summer wedding, there likely will be lots of floral sundresses there and I'm sure the brides are aware of this! 

lellah

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
I think OP is talking about the brides themselves, not bridesmaids.

Right you are.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »
You're fine.  Even if your dress was more likely to match the brides, you'd still be fine.  The brides are choosing not to wear what is considered to be traditional dress.  They can't be upset if someone mistakenly wears a dress that resembles theirs.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rose red

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
You're fine. I would be surprised if a few guests didn't wear flower-printed sundresses in a Spring/Summer backyard wedding.

Zizi-K

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »
Yeah, it's awfully hard to follow the "don't dress like the bride" rule when the bride deviates from the all-white or all-cream norm. Summer outdoor party cries for a sundress. If they are wearing sundresses, then this is a casual thing and they are clearly not worried about "standing out". I would not worry about it and wear what you were planning to wear.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
I think that if you are worried about their reaction, just send a photo of the dress to one or both of the brides and ask for their input. A few people did that for my sister's wedding and she was happy to review and let them know. glancing at a photo and replying "yes" or "no" is not time consuming. One of her BMs actually sent a picture of herself wearing a white floor length dress and asked if it was okay (she was supposed to wear beige) and my sister vetoed it.