News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 29, 2015, 04:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guests wearing red to a wedding  (Read 5509 times)

turtleIScream

Re: Guests wearing red to a wedding
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
But not a real green dress, that's cruel. Name the reference.

I need to go shopping for a red dress!

If I Had A Million Dollars!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

nuit93

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

Augh!  Earworm!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
I am so proud!

gellchom

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »

If I Had a Million Dollars, I'd buy a red dress, too.

chicajojobe

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
Yeah, the idea that red is immodest is really old fashioned and not something I'd worry about.
The only worry I'd have is that the wedding party or even the bride might be wearing red. Some have already mentioned that red is the wedding color in China and India, but even in the West there has been increased demand for red (and other color) dresses from brides who aren't into being traditional.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
I wore red.  :D

Nothing wrong with it at all!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with it!  The whole Wedding party looks gorgeous.  Congratulations. 

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 10:39:46 AM »
I wore a predominantly green dress (there was a cream pattern on it too) to a friend's wedding, but I asked her first because of the superstition. I didn't think my friend would be worried or even know about the superstition (and I was right), but I didn't want Great-auntie Ethel (or her equivalent) saying something about it to her on the day and detracting from her enjoyment of her day. I wore the dress and 'Great-auntie Ethel' either didn't attend or didn't say anything ;).

I wouldn't have bothered my friend with it, but I was one of the witnesses so would be quite prominent (in terms of people seeing me sign the register), plus it was a really nice dress!

tabitha

« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 09:09:20 PM »
Just a comment on Chinese weddings and red dresses. My ex-boyfriends mom was born and raised in China and she came to Canada to marry her Chinese husband after he set up life here. She wore a white wedding dress for church and one of those pretty, fitted red embroidered dress to the reception. Another Chinese friend of mine who got married in China before she andher husband came here and she did the same thing, white dress to church, red dress to reception. I don't think its generational because their weddings would have been twenty years apart. I've been under the impression that this was tradition there. But all my Chinese friends are Cantonese, maybe Mandarin weddings are different.
But I think in the Western world anything goes as long as you don't show up in a big, fluffy dress. And are properly covered. My ex husband brought his girlfriend to my moms funeral three years ago. She wore a mini skirt and thigh high boots. People are still talking about it. I don't think you must wear black to a funeral but don't be silly!😄