Author Topic: Flower girl dress expense?  (Read 6046 times)

HannahGrace

Re: Flower girl dress expense?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
As I mentioned in a parenthetical, no bridesmaids :).  But I absolutely will be giving the FG a gift of some kind. I'm really honored that she will be taking part in our wedding. I'm not sure her parents want her having jewelry, but if anyone has any suggestions for a nice gift for a 4.25 year old who likes baseball, books, and wooden animals, I'm open to ideas!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
What about a hair ornament to be worn on the day of the wedding?  Jewellery without actually being jewellery?  And I would recommend  some little things to keep the kids busy during the reception - colouring books and crayons, little puzzle games, that kind of thing.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Peregrine

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Tickets to a local minor league baseball game for her and her family?  Those can be had quite inexpensively and they are a nice way to build family memories :D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »

Once the wedding was over I let her wear it wherever she wanted because it was really too fancy for any other occasion and she was going to grow out of it soon anyway.

Me, too! I discovered that it was polyester and would wash well; the dry cleaners didn't want to touch it, actually, because they feared the plastic "pearl clusters" would melt in the solution.

And everything washed out of it--grass stains, grease....I did draw the line at not taking in on the playground, bcs of scuffing. But otherwise, she wore it often!

HannahGrace

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
What about a hair ornament to be worn on the day of the wedding?  Jewellery without actually being jewellery?  And I would recommend  some little things to keep the kids busy during the reception - colouring books and crayons, little puzzle games, that kind of thing.

Oh, that is a great idea! She has long bangs and usually has some kind of barrette in her hair to keep them out of her eyes.

Also good idea for distractions...my nephew will be 5.5 so they are in a similar age group... I will find some projects to keep them occupied just in case. They both have grandparents who are local but are not involved in the wedding, so that's a plan B if they are fed up but their parents want to stick around v

HannahGrace

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »
Tickets to a local minor league baseball game for her and her family?  Those can be had quite inexpensively and they are a nice way to build family memories :D

Ha, great idea! My fiancé and I met at a minor league game and we now have season tickets and have hosted the FG and her family a couple of times. That little girl loves her some baseball, which is one of the many reasons we adore her.

m2kbug

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
As I mentioned in a parenthetical, no bridesmaids :).  But I absolutely will be giving the FG a gift of some kind. I'm really honored that she will be taking part in our wedding. I'm not sure her parents want her having jewelry, but if anyone has any suggestions for a nice gift for a 4.25 year old who likes baseball, books, and wooden animals, I'm open to ideas!

If you ultimately decide on jewelry (that she will wear for the wedding), the parents can hang on to the item for her.  She can wear it for special occasions and then the parents can hand it over when she's old enough to take care of it.  I wouldn't fret too much about that.  If she has pierced ears, simple studs will work long into the future, and if you go with something nice but not terribly pricey, it won't be the end of the world if they get lost.  Anything nicer, the parents can keep for her until later. 

Specifically, if you had bridesmaids and gave them all a necklace, I would get the flower girl a necklace too.  I know you said you aren't having bridesmaids, but that's just my thought.

I like the other ideas and I like the idea of having some things on hand in case she gets bored.  I imagine she'll be the center of attention for a lot of people and will be quite entertained.  Her mom can help you with some activities she'll enjoy and it would be a nice gift from you.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »
Small pearl, gold, silver, or her birthstone studs for pierced ears will work well for decades....simple round ones will work with just about anything.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

HannahGrace

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Thanks!  I know I wasn't allowed to have pierced ears until I was 12, and my FG doesn't have them now so I might go for a bracelet or something similar instead of earrings.

m2kbug

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:13 AM »
My mom got my ears pierced really young and then again when I was about 5 when the first ones closed up.  This was back when you went to a department store when they offered ear piercing and they had a nurse who used a needle or needle punch thingy, not these new-fangled, fancy earring guns.  Then they went after your ear to put in the earring after punching in the hole.  Who else remembers this, ya' dinosaurs? :)

I thought of earrings because you don't have to worry about size and her growing.  Simple studs (birthstone, cubic zirconium, gold balls) can be useful and last a really long time.

A bracelet is a really great idea.  She will always remember the experience and remember where the bracelet came from, and will remember you and (soon to be) DH, even if you part ways over time.  It will always be very special.  My advice would be to choose a bracelet with larger ringlets or chain so that the clasp can be used in any ringlet to fit her tiny wrist and be large enough to use as she grows.  Something like a fishbone kinks too easily for a rough and tumble little girl and has to be more size-specific.  Tiny links can be easily resolved with a safety pin for the ceremony and special occasions and something that can last a lifetime when she's finally big enough she can use the clasp :).  Whatever you choose and your ideas sound great and the suggestions sounds great!  I'm just tossing out some things to think about if you choose a bracelet. 

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »

Oh, that is a great idea! She has long bangs and usually has some kind of barrette in her hair to keep them out of her eyes.

Also good idea for distractions...my nephew will be 5.5 so they are in a similar age group... I will find some projects to keep them occupied just in case. They both have grandparents who are local but are not involved in the wedding, so that's a plan B if they are fed up but their parents want to stick around v

We only had two kids at our wedding so we got them coloring books, Polly pockets for my niece and trains and dinosaurs for our nephew. They loved them and behaved perfectly! In fact my niece who was 5 at the time wanted to say a thank you speech for all her cool toys :)

ChinaShepherdess

• “Never bet your money on another man's game.”
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:43 AM »
I agree with all that you have done everything appropriately re: the dress (suggesting the FG wear something out of her closet, giving mother free rein over the dress) and it sounds like the FG's mother is looking forward to some dress shopping!

As for the flower girl gift, I love these suggestions! Especially the idea of a fun hair accessory to wear during the ceremony. My idea: since it's exciting for a young girl to get to be in a fancy occasion, what about something like a hand mirror? For the right recipient, it can be a really nice gift because you can go funky (brightly painted wood, etc.) or keepsake (there are amazing Victorian-style silver hand mirrors for like $15 on etsy), and hand mirrors are anachronistically elegant yet totally functional. Just another idea for the mix, and best wishes on your wedding planning! Sounds like a lovely event.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 01:31:51 AM »
I suggest a tiara that she can wear with her fancy dress for the wedding.  Most little girls go nuts over a tiara.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »
Maybe a locket that you can put a picture of her parents in? Just a thought.

As far as wearing the dress after, I work at an airport, and get a kick out of some of the little girls that come with their parents to meet their grandparents (or other friends/relatives) flying in. You can tell these little girls wanted to wear something special. I see so many fancy dresses or princess dresses, special shoes, etc. It is so cute!

And the little boys too! Spiderman/Batman/Superman outfits abound. My favorite is the little cowboy boots with their jeans tucked into them, and maybe a cowboy hat. (I'm in NH so cowboy boots are special here.)

HannahGrace

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
I suggest a tiara that she can wear with her fancy dress for the wedding.  Most little girls go nuts over a tiara.

A tiara would be really fun!  I was thinking of getting her a little flower crown to wear, although if I find a cool hair clip/barrette then I'll go with that.

A locket is a great idea too!  You've all been so helpful, thank you!  She's now leaning toward one of the solid color dresses so that would be more versatile than the prints - it really is so cute: