Author Topic: Kugel (Keigel) - (s/o from "regional favorites"): potato kugel  (Read 435 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Kugel (Keigel) - (s/o from "regional favorites"): potato kugel
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Kugels - a kind of Jewish baked pudding or casserole. There are many differnt kinds - sweet or savory, vegetables, fruit, with noodles or not. The more modern ones have all kinds of vegetables, usually mixed with eggs and some kind of binder and baked - in kosher homes they are served as a side dish in a meat meal (meal where only meat/chicken or neutral foods are eaten, no dairy).

POTATO KUGEL
==========
(Amounts are approximate)
6 medium potatoes, peeled, grated, and slightly strained.
1 medium onion, peeled and grated
4 eggs
about 1/3 cup of matza meal, or flour. i usually add a pinch of baking powder too.
salt, black pepper
about 1/2 cup of veg oil (I usually use less but more is better!)

grate the vegetables. beat the eggs and add along with the other ingredients.

pour into a greased or lined pan (square pan, or loaf pan or pour into muffin tins)

Now to bake - either bake in a hot oven for about 40 minutes or until it turns a beautiful golden brown and the outside is crispy. OR bake for about 2.5 hours in a medium- low oven.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Kugel (Keigel) - (s/o from "regional favorites"): potato kugel
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
Jerusalem (Yerushalmi) Kugel
==================
This came about because Traditional Jewish cooks do not cook on the Sabbath (from sundown friday until stars out on saturday - about 25 hours) and there are all kinds of rules about heating and reheating that i won't bore you with - suffice to say that over centuries, cooks have come up with ways to cook delicious dishes that can be put in an oven, or on a hot plate on friday afternoon and eaten on saturday for lunch. One of these dishes is this kugel. To be totally honest - i've only attempted this a few times and was never successful. but if it works, it's really tasty - sort of savory/sweet/mushy

1 package of thin noodles (i think it's 500 gram)
sugar
5 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper

1. cook the noodles till soft, drain but don't rinse
2. quickly pout into bowl, add eggs mix well (do this quickly so they don't stick)
3.cook 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup oil in a bot, bring to a boil on medium/medium-high flame,  stirring constantly until you get a liquidy bubbly caramel.
4. note - be patient! the caramel starts out sort of lumpy and then slowly melts. if you cook too long, it will burn.
5. mix the eggs /noodles and again and quickly pour the caramel over the eggs. CAREFUL! the noodles mixture is still hot and the caramel is boiling - it can cause the sauce to "jump".
6. add one cup of sugar, salt and pepper.

now:
either pour into two bread pans cover with foil and bake at high for about 40 minutes and then remove the foil and bake on medium-high for another hour.

Or
grease an oven proof pot, pour in the mixture bake for about 40 minutes on medium-high. then cover and bake in slow oven (200 degrees) for about 4-6 or more hours.

Tini

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
Kugel is such a false friend of a word to a German speaker - it means 'ball, globe, sphere', so for the longest time whenever I read about someone bringing a noodle kugel to a meal, I pictured this impossible and impressive spherical concoction ('but how does it hold together?!'). I was almost disappointed when I found out how wrong I was.  ;D

RubyCat

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »
They both look so good. I think I'll try the potato kugel tonight. Thank you so much for sharing!  :)

Mikayla

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »
I made the potato ones!  I remember thinking about the noodle one, but I wasn't sure about thin noodles and also, since I was making another "sweet" one, I didn't want to put a lot of sugar in it.  I may try this one next.

The potato one was delish.  I used flour and cooked slowly.  Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but I used golden potatoes instead of baking or russet ones, because I love their cooked flavor.  I added a couple extra because they're smaller.   

I wouldn't change a thing about how it turned out.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:04 PM »
I made the potato ones!  I remember thinking about the noodle one, but I wasn't sure about thin noodles and also, since I was making another "sweet" one, I didn't want to put a lot of sugar in it.  I may try this one next.

The potato one was delish.  I used flour and cooked slowly.  Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but I used golden potatoes instead of baking or russet ones, because I love their cooked flavor.  I added a couple extra because they're smaller.   

I wouldn't change a thing about how it turned out.
so glad to hear! i used to make this all the time - but stopped many years ago. Maybe i'll have to go back to it

BTW - if you make it in well greased muffin tins, you can a lot lot lot of crunchyness!

katycoo

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
Can someone link a picture to what you mean by "noodles"?  Is it just long pasta?  Egg pasta?  We only use the word 'noodles' to refer to the Asian varieties.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:32 AM »
Can someone link a picture to what you mean by "noodles"?  Is it just long pasta?  Egg pasta?  We only use the word 'noodles' to refer to the Asian varieties.
These kind. They're not the long pasta (what we woudl call spaghetti) and not the asian style noodles which are sturdier. These are the noodles we put in chicken soup and kugels. The ones i linked are egg noodles but i believe you can use regular pasta as well. you can use very thin or slightly thicker like these.

the thicker ones are usually used in the sweet/fruit kugels and the thinner ones for the Jerusalem kugel. (sorry i don't have much more information but i really don't make these at all any more)