Author Topic: Kosher  (Read 1963 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Kosher
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »
This thread is for those of us who keep kosher to share recipes.

This is a lasagna recipe I found in a kosher cookbook called Not Chopped Liver!

Lasagna

1 lb. ground beef         
1 lb. sweet kosher Italian sausage,    
    casing removed, crumbled      
1 onion, chopped         
16 oz. tomato sauce         
3 oz. tomato paste         
teaspoon salt         
teaspoon pepper         
teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
12 oz. tofu
4 egg yolks
4 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon parsley
6 lasagna noodles, boiled, drained

1. Brown the meat, sausage, and onion in a small skillet.
2. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.  Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
3. Combine the tofu, egg yolks, oil, garlic salt, and parsley in a blender or food processor.  Reserve 1/4 coup of mixture for topping.
4.  To assemble: grease a 1 quart rectangular baking dish.  Layer 3 noodles, spread half of tofu mixture over noodles, cover with half meat sauce; repeat, ending with meat sauce.  Noodles should be completely covered.  Place dollops of reserved tofu mixture over top. Spread out slightly.
5. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes until bubbling.

I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
Re: Kosher
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:20:38 PM »
Helzl (Kishkes)
Serves: 6 to 8

4 turkey neck skins to stuff

Stuffing:
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
6 cups flour
2 full tbsp. chicken soup powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 kg  (9 oz.) schmaltz (raw chicken fat) skinned and finely diced
1/4 kg (9 oz.) margarine
2 big onions, cut in small pieces
2 garlic cloves, well crushed
Ice water
Large heavy needle ( I use a curved carpet needle) and white butcher's thread

For the broth:
2 onions cut into pieces
2 garlic cloves cut in half
2 carrots shredded
2 bay leaves
4 whole black peppercorns
2 tbsp. melted schmaltz (or oil)
4 cups clear chicken broth (use kosher canned or soup powder or make your own)

Clean the neck skins extremely well. Wash and dry with paper towels, Sew up one end of each neck (make tubes).

In a bowl, mix in all the dry stuffing ingredients, add the schmaltz, chicken soup powder, oil, onions, and garlic. Mix well.

Fill up neck skins, be careful not to overstuff (the stuffing will rise; if you fill too tightly the skins will split). Carefully and gently pour 2-3 tbsp ice water over the stuffing inside the skin and sew up the top tightly. Wash stuffed necks (kishkes) in cold water and set aside for a minute.

Put the clear chicken broth in a large pot on the stovetop- use a pot or casserole that can also go in the oven if possible. Add all the broth ingredients to this. Put the stuffed necks (kishkes) into the pot carefully.

Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until soup reduces to nearly half the amount (about 1-1/2 to 2 hours). Gently (so you don't rip the fragile skin) turn over kishkes about once an hour.

Remove lid of pot and put in a preheated 350F oven and bake until kishkes get a nice brown color (if you have to transfer the kishkas to an oven safe dish use the biggest spatula you can find- these are likely to rip if you are not careful- will not be ruined if the rip). Baste kishkes with broth about once every 15 minutes.

Transfer to a warm serving dish and serve with the broth poured over as a gravy.

"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Kosher - honey-chocolate cake for rosh hashana
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
This is a great honey cake. I don't like honey cake at all (most people i know - don't like honey cake, but you have to make it for the holidays!). this is moist and yummy. i usually make it in 2 loaf pans. it freezes beautifully. i also usually use about half the amount of sugar that it calls for. everyone who tastes this - loves it. it's a bit more work than i am used to --- most of my recipes are one bowl, mix everything together. but you can cheat a little: i make the honey spice batter first and then pour it into the pans, then use the same bowl for the choc. batter. >:D

Honey Cake, Chocolate Swirl (P)
Source: Marcy Goldman, Baker Boulanger website http://www.betterbaking.com
Serves: 12-16

Honey Spice Batter:
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 cup brewed tea
1/4 cup orange juice

Chocolate Batter:
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa, measured and sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cola, flat

Garnish:
1/2 cup chocolate, grated
confectioner's sugar, optional
non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350F.

Generously spray a 9"-10" tube pan with cooking spray.

For honey spice batter, place flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a bowl. Blend with a whisk, then make a well in the center. Stir in oil, honey, white and brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, tea, and orange juice. Blend well to make a smooth batter. Set aside.

For chocolate batter, in a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center and whisk in white and brown sugars, oil, eggs, vanilla, and cola. Blend well to make a smooth batter.

Pour honey spice batter into prepared pan. Top with chocolate batter. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake 55-65 minutes or until cake springs back when gently touched.

Cool 10 minutes then un-mold and place on a serving platter. While cake is still warm, sprinkle on grated chocolate and allow to melt. If you prefer, chill cake to set chocolate and then dust with confectioners' sugar.

Posted by Nancy Berry

Nutritional Info Per Serving: N/A
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/cake/honcake/honcakechocswirl01.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

OhHai!

Re: Kosher
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »
PLEASE DO NOT POST REPLIES TO THIS THREAD - THESE RECIPES ARE BEING EDITED