Author Topic: Requested to work from home for one day - boss is being snippy  (Read 5144 times)

Arila

Re: Requested to work from home for one day - boss is being snippy
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
I agree with Hmmmm(mmmm? ;)) that OP didn't go over the boss's head. If my direct manager wasn't available and I needed something fast, I would go up the chain (Maybe this is because I used to work for manager's boss, so I'm more comfortable).

Also, I agree with the PP's advice that the OP move into merely informing instead of asking for permission. If you must, clarify the company policy (once) and then start just informing. "I'll be working from home on Thursday while my car is being repaired."

cheyne

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
I agree that the OP didn't go over her boss's head, as Boss wasn't available at the time.

That being said, OP needs to stop asking permission in certain cases.  The snow day is a good example.  Boss had already said that you could work from home that day, why the follow-up?  I get annoyed when my employees don't listen to what I say and call/text me about things we have already discussed.  Could this be true of your boss?

I would go to her and use the line: "You seem reluctant to allow me to take advantage of the company work from home policy. Can you explain why?"  Get her to explain to you why she is doing this to only you.

miranova

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
I think this is one of those situations where you have some valid points, but I don't think all of them are valid.  I think you don't like your immediate boss so that is coloring some of what you are saying. 

I don't think it's a valid point to be upset that your boss can work from home whenever she wants whereas you have to ask.  You don't have the same job description or position in the company.  Sometimes being higher up means your job is more amenable to working from home OR you simply get more perks and more control over your schedule.  I wouldn't approach this as you should be able to do whatever she is able to do, because if I were a boss I wouldn't really respect that position. 

Also I don't recommend simply informing her that you will be working from home.  That's great in a situation where you have some leverage or ability to get away with it, but she's already shown that she wants to be asked and will be upset if she's not.  I think that guidelines or no guidelines you should continue to ask her in advance if she has the ability to make your life miserable.

veronaz

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »
I think this is one of those situations where you have some valid points, but I don't think all of them are valid.  I think you don't like your immediate boss so that is coloring some of what you are saying. 

I don't think it's a valid point to be upset that your boss can work from home whenever she wants whereas you have to ask.  You don't have the same job description or position in the company.  Sometimes being higher up means your job is more amenable to working from home OR you simply get more perks and more control over your schedule.  I wouldn't approach this as you should be able to do whatever she is able to do, because if I were a boss I wouldn't really respect that position. 

Also I don't recommend simply informing her that you will be working from home.  That's great in a situation where you have some leverage or ability to get away with it, but she's already shown that she wants to be asked and will be upset if she's not.  I think that guidelines or no guidelines you should continue to ask her in advance if she has the ability to make your life miserable.

Excellent points.

Also, boss will most likely let her boss know that she's not happy about the way this was handled.

aussie_chick

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 02:34:47 AM »
Definitely some communication needs to happen about the interpretation of the company policy.

Do you have regular catch ups with your boss to talk about work?

I'd make a time to get out the physical policy and have a conversation about it including expectations with regards to asking or informing.

I think I would feel like you went over my head if I was your boss. I can absolutely see that you wanted to sort out your car but your boss was in meetings all morning Maybe waiting until lunch time to ask would have been better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:43:57 AM by aussie_chick »

MissRose

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »
I have no idea why the boss of the OP has to behave as she does.  I do not consider the OP's request to be unreasonable at all.  Many of us have the option to work remotely, and if you are trained etc, then you should be able to do so if a dire emergency comes around (like car trouble, very bad weather conditions).  I can see why she went to someone else to get the immediate answer not keeping her waiting.

Even when I work from home, our bosses still have ways to keep tabs on the work done as we connect to the work network for handling customer contacts.  I treat a work from home day no differently compared to going to the office with the exceptions of the following: I have better food choices at home, during my break/lunch times I can go right to my living room to watch a few minutes of telly, the bathroom is right close by and if I wish to wear track suit top/bottoms and no shoes I can as no one can see me!

Another Sarah

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
I dropped an email to my line manager saying:

"Hi Manager

I found out over the weekend that my car needs a new clutch and I'd like to get it fixed as soon as possible as I'm nervous driving it at the moment. The garage can do it on Thursday and I don't have anything in my diary that day.

I've spoken to 'big line manager boss' as I was passing her room and she said that was fine and to let you know.

I'll take the 'big project paper' home with me and concentrate on that for the day because it needs getting on with.

Kind regards,

Samgirl2"
She has continued to be snippy with me all day.

I don't think you went over your boss's head as such, but I can see why she would think you had. Your email didn't mention the fact that boss was uncontactable for the morning or give a reason why you went to Big Boss instead, so from her perspective, you just jumped the line of command. I think it might have had a better effect if you said

"Hi Manager

I found out over the weekend that my car needs a new clutch and I'd like to get it fixed as soon as possible as I'm nervous driving it at the moment. The garage said they can do it on Thursday but I needed to get back to them asap so they could order the parts, so as you were tied up in meetings, I checked with Big Boss when I was passing her room and she said that was fine.I don't have anything in my diary that day, so  I'll take the 'big project paper' home with me and concentrate on that for the day because it needs getting on with.

Kind regards,

Samgirl2"

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
I like what others are saying about clarifying the rule.  If she says it is okay, then the next time
I think I might announce that I am working from home but then try to make boss feel more comfortable about it.

"Boss, due to the snow I will be working from home.  I plan to work on the big project. I will be available via IM, email and my home phone is XXX-XXX-xXXX."

I think by asking, you are making it seem more a choice by boss than it should be.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
I like what others are saying about clarifying the rule.  If she says it is okay, then the next time
I think I might announce that I am working from home but then try to make boss feel more comfortable about it.

"Boss, due to the snow I will be working from home.  I plan to work on the big project. I will be available via IM, email and my home phone is XXX-XXX-xXXX."

I think by asking, you are making it seem more a choice by boss than it should be.

Based on the Saturday earning a day and 1/2 , I think it's reasonable Boss may think this is something she has the authority and the responsibility to approve or deny.  Having a conversion about the policy seems in order.

Lynda_34

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »

The best offense is a good offense.
I'm doing ABC.

Samgirl2

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I can understand now why she thinks I have gone over her head and it has put her nose out of joint. I'll think again in the future if this sort of thing comes up again.

It wasn't exactly my intention to go over her head, I just wanted to get things sorted and my boss wasn't around so I asked her boss. It wasn't an outlandish request so I didn't see a problem.

My problem now is that even though I am perfectly entitled to work from home on this occasion - it's not something to be done all the time but we are allowed if car issues, bad weather, needing to wait for a delivery man etc - and the top boss has said yes, no problem just let my line manager know, however I feel like I'm taking liberties and somehow being lazy by not coming into work while my car is in the shop all day and I should go to work after all. Of course, I have no way of getting there so I can't, but this makes it worse. This is because my boss was so snippy and suggesting that my car didn't need fixing that badly, that the garage should drive me to work, it wasn't a proper garage if they wouldn't do that.....all kinds of reasons why she was making it sound like I was lying or something.

Even though I've explained what I'll be working on, I think it's because my boss was obviously doubtful that it should be allowed, and largely because she doesn't trust anyone to work unmonitored. Last time I worked from home was the snow day a year ago and she called me on the hour every hour to ask me pointless questions, just to check I was working, even though I was copying her in on emails as it was concerning a project she wanted to be kept up to date on. She did the same to my colleague. She wasted more of our time doing that actually, than getting work done.

Colleagues on my grade, and some lower, don't have these issues with their line managers. She knows the policy is there, but she somehow thinks it's all at her discretion and I don't see a way around that.

Samgirl2

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 05:01:07 AM »

On a personal level, I do like her. It's her management style I don't like.

I'm not upset that she is able to work from home when she likes and i have to ask. What I meant was, we are both subject to the same policy, our jobs are very similar and we can both work anywhere pretty much. What I find frustrating is that the person she is required to seek permission from is reasonable and straightforward and simply says yes or no. Whereas the person I have to check in with (my boss) is unreasonable and not straightforward and asks a million questions then says she is going to check with her boss. There is no need for her to do this at all.

Yes, definitely I need to ask rather than tell her.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »
May I add a suggestion that has served me well? Document. After you get out of the meeting re: policy, email her, bcc yourself, and restate what was discussed.

"Boss,

I just want to reiterate what we discussed today re: XXXXXissue.  Then summarize whatever you discussed."

I am going through something similar with a bully-boss, and oh, how I wish that I had done this more then I did. 
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

perpetua

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
What I find frustrating is that the person she is required to seek permission from is reasonable and straightforward and simply says yes or no. Whereas the person I have to check in with (my boss) is unreasonable and not straightforward and asks a million questions then says she is going to check with her boss. There is no need for her to do this at all.

Sounds to me like she's not confident in her own authority to say yes to your requests, if she has to check with her boss. Is there any chance her boss has told her to run these things past him/her?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
OP, don't feel guilty about working from home. This is your managers lack of management skill coming through, not you. She lacks the confidence as a manager to be able to gauge productivity with out seeing someone working.

Spend your day working and doing what needs to be done and try to not let her insecurities impact you too much.