Author Topic: Requested to work from home for one day - boss is being snippy  (Read 5471 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Requested to work from home for one day - boss is being snippy
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
On a personal level, I do like her. It's her management style I don't like.

I'm not upset that she is able to work from home when she likes and i have to ask. What I meant was, we are both subject to the same policy, our jobs are very similar and we can both work anywhere pretty much. What I find frustrating is that the person she is required to seek permission from is reasonable and straightforward and simply says yes or no. Whereas the person I have to check in with (my boss) is unreasonable and not straightforward and asks a million questions then says she is going to check with her boss. There is no need for her to do this at all.

Yes, definitely I need to ask rather than tell her.

I totally understand where you're coming from. My boss used to be like that as well. First time manaager, and because HE didn't think certain things (policies) made sense, well, it was wrong. It took me telling him to speak to whoever in HR I had, and showing him the policy, for him to finally realize that I might be onto something! It is frustrating since it seems like while you are both "the same" and subject to the same policies, she doens't see it that way.

Fortunatley now, he's much better. I just let him know that tomorrow, I'd be leaving early to attend the wake for the mom of a co-worker who I'm good friends with. I let him know this is what I'm doing, if its ok with you. He was fine. 

CharlieBraun

Re: Requested to work from home for one day - boss is being snippy
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »
I feel for you.  I had a boss who was extremely against anyone working from home, demanding that facetime be observed.  The irony was that he himself never came in to the office until after about noon (working from home,) and never stayed beyond 6 pm unless it was for some event or reception. He was rude about it and abusive, and basically gave me a hard time including multiple grillings any time I so much as took one morning or afternoon.  And by the way, my company leads national rankings for its"flexibility" of workplace and encourages "work life balance" including working from home. 

I eventually left; the night I had to get off the gurney in a hospital ER to go back to finish an assignment (that the same boss had sat on for two straight days, then insisted at 8 pm that it *must* go out that evening) sealed that deal.

Interestingly, I went to a rival firm in the same line of business, and I work with this man's wife.  She's at the same level that I am, and she is so incredibly professional and nice.   Having said that, she also works from home a good 90% of the time - and ex-boss' argument about how I must come into the office was that "people at your level have to be actively managing their staff day to day!  Can't be from a distance!"  He never saw the irony in that. 

It's completely a power play, but you know that.  Others are in your same shoes, but it doesn't make it any better.
"We ate the pies."