Author Topic: Gift Ideas for a Coworker  (Read 98 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Gift Ideas for a Coworker
« on: Yesterday at 08:20:28 PM »
Someone that I work with is getting married in a few weeks, and I'd kind of like to get her a small wedding gift. I don't know a ton about her outside of work, though we do sometimes chat when we find ourselves in the break room at the same time. I do work with her a lot, and like her a great deal, so that's mostly where my desire to get her a little something is coming from.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for wedding gifts that cost around $10 for a coworker who I know reasonably well in the context of work, but hardly at all outside of it? I could just give her a gift card to one of the stores where she is registered (I used a registry finder to see if she had any, and she does), but since I don't want to spend much more than $10, I'd feel kind of weird about doing that. I could also buy something off her registry, but there's not much that is that inexpensive left. It does give me a sense of what she likes, though, if I can think of something to give her that she didn't specifically register for.

I can also just decide to scrap the whole idea and either give her nothing at all or just give her a card. But since I've talked with her about her wedding a little bit and do like her a lot as a person, I would like to give her a little token. It gave me warm fuzzies when some of my coworkers gave me a few little things when I got married, so I'm thinking of it as paying it forward, so to speak.

Kaymar

Re: Gift Ideas for a Coworker
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:34:27 PM »
You are so sweet! Two things I can think of are a bottle of wine with a note along the lines of toasting their new marriage or drinking on their first anniversary (at least in the US, you can get very drinkable wine in the $10-12 range) or a nice photo frame / photo album, since they will be finding themselves with many photos between the wedding and honeymoon if they are taking the latter. If neither of these resonates, I truly think a card is beyond priceless if you wrote a note in it. We got one engagement card from a friend and I treasure it for what he wrote inside.

POF

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:55:44 PM »
I agree with the wine or the frame - both are very usable and great ideas.

auntmeegs

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:08:13 PM »
You are so sweet! Two things I can think of are a bottle of wine with a note along the lines of toasting their new marriage or drinking on their first anniversary (at least in the US, you can get very drinkable wine in the $10-12 range) or a nice photo frame / photo album, since they will be finding themselves with many photos between the wedding and honeymoon if they are taking the latter. If neither of these resonates, I truly think a card is beyond priceless if you wrote a note in it. We got one engagement card from a friend and I treasure it for what he wrote inside.

POD that that is so sweet of you!  And also pod on the bottle of wine, great idea.  Another idea...are they going on a honeymoon?  If so, what about a little mini goodie bag for the plane/car/train ride - a bag of nuts, bar of chocolate, gummy bears, gum, mints, that kind of thing.  One of my coworkers who I am not very close with (we work in different depts) but that I am very fond of gave me something like this, in a pretty little cosmetics bag, with a beautiful card, and it just meant so much to me.

Lynn2000

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:16:56 PM »
You could also, as you said, look at the registry and see if anything on there inspires you. For example, if she's getting some kitchen appliances in red, you could look for two or three dishtowels with red patterns. And if you get it from a store where she's registered (and give a gift receipt) she can always return it for store credit and put it towards something else on her registry.

Personally, I would send it through the mail (like order online and have the store mail it), and I would send it either immediately before the wedding (like a day or two before) or after it, so there's no way to give the impression that I'm angling for an invitation.
~Lynn2000

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:19:25 PM »
One of my husband's great-aunts gave us a tiny plate that we now use as a ring stand in the bathroom when we shower. I think you could get a cute ring stand/plate for $10ish.

Etsy has a few thousand (including, weirdly, the plate we have that we had no idea was a ring plate! I'm glad I did this search) ring plates for $10 or less: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=ring%20plate&order=most_relevant&ship_to=US&min=&max=10

And ring stands: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=ring%20stand&order=most_relevant&ship_to=US&min=&max=10

I'm guessing stores in the mall would have them in a similar price range if you don't have the time.

Alicia

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:04:48 PM »
Picture frames are always suggested but I think a horrible gift if you do not know someones decor.

How about a pepper mill or salt and pepper shakers

peaches

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:22:51 PM »
One of my husband's great-aunts gave us a tiny plate that we now use as a ring stand in the bathroom when we shower. I think you could get a cute ring stand/plate for $10ish.

Etsy has a few thousand (including, weirdly, the plate we have that we had no idea was a ring plate! I'm glad I did this search) ring plates for $10 or less: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=ring%20plate&order=most_relevant&ship_to=US&min=&max=10

And ring stands: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=ring%20stand&order=most_relevant&ship_to=US&min=&max=10

I'm guessing stores in the mall would have them in a similar price range if you don't have the time.

I love this idea!

I found new ring dishes at Crate & Barrel:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/mr.-and-mrs.-ring-dish/s317416?a=1552

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:38:19 PM »
I'd do something practical.  I crochet dishcloths so I might put together a little basket with some dishcloths and tea towels in her kitchen colours, which you can hopefully figure out from her registry.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:02:38 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I hesitate to give this coworker anything related to alcohol, both because she didn't register for anything related to alcohol, and because our workplace is one where it might feel a little inappropriate. But mostly, she didn't register for anything like wine glasses or anything, so I don't actually know if she and her soon-to-be-husband actually drink.

Re: the possibility of sounding like I'm angling for an invitation...I'd be really surprised if anything I did read that way to her. Based on what I know about her and the situation in general, I very much doubt my giving her a small token gift will read as anything but me giving my best wishes. I've never even asked her where the wedding is (even though we've talked about it in passing more than once). So that's definitely worth thinking about, but probably not an issue in this case.

Re: ring dishes...that's a great idea. I actually think the one that peaches linked to from Crate and Barrel would be right in line with the type of things she likes (based on her registry), so I will definitely consider that. It is a thoughtful little thing that I hope she wouldn't feel bad getting rid of it wasn't something she wanted, but could be very useful.

Alicia, I agree on the picture frames, or at least agree that you have to be careful. I did get a picture frame from one of my husband's cousins (along with a box that matched it), and while I use it and like it, I've kind of made it fit my taste because the relationship is meaningful to me. If it weren't a relatively close relation who gave it to us, I'd probably not use it and/or would have donated it by now.

I kind of wish I could make something, but I'm so slow about crafting these days that I don't really want to commit to anything like that, but dish clothes (etc.) are not a bad idea. Someone at work gave me some when I got married, and I do use them. They do wear out after awhile, so it's hard to have too many.

I do also like the idea of a honeymoon gift bag type of thing, though it may require more time/thought than I'm likely to have the ability to put in just at the moment. But part of what made me think about getting her a little token gift is that the topic of her wedding came up today, and I told her that I'd spent my whole honeymoon with a cold because of the sudden loss of the adrenaline I'd been living on for months. I advised her to be sure she packs cold medicine, since there's nothing less romantic than having to find a drugstore the minute you get off the plane on your honeymoon because you're about to hack up a lung. :P So, there's a chance she'd be amused but also grateful if I gave her a little honeymoon care package with some snacks and perhaps some kleenex and travel sized medicine. :)

I also had another thought, that I will consider with all the great ideas you've given me. She has a lot of baking/cooking things on her registry, and there's a local store I really like that has some fun little kitchen tools and gadgets. There are a ton of them of the variety that are legitimately useful, but not the type of thing most people would go out and buy themselves on purpose (because you can easily live without them). Stuff like ramekins, or prep bowls, or other little tools that are nice to have but not at all necessary. I like visiting that store anyway, so I might take this as an excuse to go poke around and see if anything catches my eye.