Author Topic: Wedding a few years later questions  (Read 5506 times)

JeanFromBNA

Re: Wedding a few years later questions
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
They only get one gift IMO -- send a note of congratulations, but no more gifts.    But I don't see why there can't be as many parties as they want to throw.
Sure, they can have as many parties as they'd like.  They just don't get multiple do-overs of the BWW without risking appearing greedy and ridiculous.

Julsie

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
Several years after getting married legally we had our marriage convalidated in the Catholic Church.  It was a small ceremony to which we invited two other people and then went out to dinner.

No gifts, parties or announcements.  Looking back, maybe we should have fleeced our friends and family for more stuff.   8)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
LOL Julsie! DH and me too! Gawrsh, why didn't we think of soaking his family for gifts!  ::)

Back on topic... I can see having a BWW for a vow renewal, but only if you (generic) never had one and had really, really wanted one. But you do not get to soak your family and friends for gifts and money-spending. Bachelor/ette parties? You are married. Get over it.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Jones

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 11:06:24 PM »
^^^It never even occurred to me, but really we should have done the same.

mj

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
OP here - we know we are definitely invited to the ceremony (I'm not sure what the actual name of it is in their religion, sorry) and to the reception afterwards.  I'm unsure on any of the parties, but they are telling us about them as if we are.  But I guess it doesn't matter, I'm glad to know I'm not so off base, it really makes me feel strange about it all.  And I don't know how to handle this in the family either, but I think I will just send a card and leave it at that. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
I think that's wise.

And count me in on finding bachelor/bachelorette parties years after their wedding to be ridiculous.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mikayla

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »
If it would cause family drama not to even acknowledge this, I'd probably send a card and write a nice congratulatory note inside.

The honest me admits I'd see if I could find a card on sale.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »
Sadly people having a do-over and having a Big White Wedding after a small, justice of the peace one seems too common.  My husband had a close friend who did this.  They got married down at city hall and then later regretted not having had a big deal, so they threw a big, expensive wedding over a year later. 

Of course people are free to do this; the only thing I find off about it is that it does seem very attention-grabbing, gift-grubbing usually.   If you already gave a gift, there's no reason to give another.  Attend if you can, send a note telling them how happy you are for them. 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »
If it would cause family drama not to even acknowledge this, I'd probably send a card and write a nice congratulatory note inside.

The honest me admits I'd see if I could find a card on sale.

Or get one at the dollar store.   ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario