Author Topic: s/o: More than one wedding per couple  (Read 7229 times)

White Lotus

Re: s/o: More than one wedding per couple
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
Love both dresses!  Call it an upgrade party, even do the paperwork, if there will be any, there, and rock it out with a whale of a party.  As long as you aren't trying to have a do-over with showers, registries, hen parties, etc., I don't see anything at all wrong with this.  Congratulations, and have a ball.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Go for it! This definitely counts as a situation worthy of two celebrations.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
OP, I'd love to be invited to a celebration like yours.

In my case, I've been married once (not a BWW, our religious sect kept things simple) and divorced after 22 yrs, but if I remarry I want a JOP ceremony and a big party with lots of dancing and good food (no gifts - they're not needed). I don't see that as an issue, honestly. I've lost count of the repeat BWW's I've gone to (one cousin had 4 of them!). Granted, in my case there was not an issue of my rights being denied.

And, honestly, I want the fun reception I was denied the first time.  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »
Teenyweeny, because I am unfortunately ignorant in such things: do you have to have another ceremony, or does your civil partnership get automatically converted into a marriage?

Because if there is another ceremony, I don't think there's anything wrong with inviting people to it.

That's what I was wondering. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled for you either way, and certainly wouldn't think you were out of line for having a party/reception whatever - but is a civil partnership automatically converted into marriage, or do you have to "get married"?

I won't speak for anyone else, but here in NJ you have to have an official ceremony; a civil union isn't quite the same.

katycoo

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
I think it would be better if you make the celebration more casul to counteract those general wedding expectations.

Send an email saying you're upgrading your vows and hitting up X venue for dinner and partying afterwards.  You'll be there from 7 if anyone is free and wants to come along to celebrate.

And defs wear your dress.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
So, a couple of recent threads had me mulling over something that I will be facing quite soon.

My wife and I have a civil partnership. The UK is set to bring in full, equal marriage quite soon, and of course we want to upgrade! When that happens, you are dingdangity right I'll want to celebrate it! The thing is, we already had our wedding. It was a beautiful, magical day, with a great big party and lots of guests.

Basically, what we'd both want, to celebrate our equal marriage, would be another 'reception', for want of a better word. I mean food, booze, and dancing. I wouldn't want to do the ceremony over, but I'd like to mark the occasion. I even want to wear my dress again (I have some hardcore love for that dress). Of course, we wouldn't want gifts, and there'd be no accompanying parties (we don't do showers in the UK, and I'd certainly not have another hen night).

What would be your reaction on being invited to such an event? It's a kind of unusual situation, so there's not really an established protocol...

I'd be happy, show up and have fun!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lakey

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
Ordinarily I'm not in favor of having a second big celebration, but I believe there are special circumstances. One exception would be a couple like yourself who were not previously allowed to have the "real deal" and now want to celebrate. Another exception might be a couple who were not able to have a big wedding because of something along the lines of a military deployment.
Have fun planning your wedding.

lakey

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
Oops, sorry. Have fun planning your reception.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
If it were my friends I'd be there with bells, streamers and a fabulous hat!
Or possibly dressed as a cyberman in honour of the 'upgrade' ;) But thats because I'm odd like that, but its OK so are my friends.

[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »
I'll generally say yes to any party with a good enough reason for the party. For example, my friend once threw a party because she really wanted a cake form Costco and they only come in giant sheet cake form, so she threw a party so we could all eat it. And I found that to be an excellent reason to have a party. So I'd say a very loud yes to your invitation.

If our state ever legalizes same sex marriages (and hopefully it will), we'll be throwing a hey it's finally legal here, wa-hoo celebration.

White Lotus

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
Go for it.  It isn't a "second wedding" at all.  I am also a "why NOT have a party?" Person.  I would go, and might bring a bottle of bubbly, but I would not see it as a gift giving occasion.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »
Serve Kit-Kats, in honor of the recent upgrade to Android - it might be easier to buy ten pounds of Kit-Kats than to come up with Cybermen costumes.

I suppose a cake in the shape of a Cyberman's head would work - depending on the price difference & the number of Dr. Who fans in your social circle.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
Absolutely have a fabulous party to celebrate! Once I have a house (this year), DH and I will be throwing a few annual bashes, and no gifts are expected. I love parties!

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
Am I the only one who's gotten all excited and wants to go to a party now and DANCE while wearing a fabulous frock?  ;D

POD! And if the dress is similar to what you pictured, it would be lovely to wear no matter what level of formality you intend.