Author Topic: People Over for Dinner  (Read 2919 times)

Vall

Re: People Over for Dinner
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Grilled cheese, soup and salad sounds like a wonderful lunch but I `might` be surprised if it were served for dinner guests.  I would still be grateful regardless.  Each of the items you listed could be very plain or fancied up so I don't really know.  A grilled cheese could be simply white bread with plastic cheese or it could be gourmet bread with a smoked Gouda with mushrooms or roasted red peppers.  Soup could be a generic can or a homemade soup from their home grown heirloom tomatoes.  Salads could be simply iceberg lettuce to almost anything.

The less fancied up the meal was, the more that I'd be surprised that it was being served for dinner rather than lunch.  Of course, a cook out or pizza night is informal by nature so there wouldn't be any surprise factor there.  It's just that the word dinner to me conveys a bit more of a formal meal than a pizza night unless otherwise noted.

In my circle of friends and family, there aren't many extremes of super-casual or extra fancy.  We tend to be somewhere in the middle.  We serve sandwiches at lunch but seldom for dinner unless it is a cook out.  Having guests means that we expend more effort towards the meal and cleanliness of our homes than we would if we didn't have guests yet not so much that it requires fine china.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever invited your mom over to a very informal dinner or have all of your invites to her been for more formal dinners?  Is that why she was surprised at your menu?

123sandy

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
We eat our main meal in the evening, so tomato soup and a grilled cheese would probably mean a run through the drive-thru on the way home. I think a dinner can be simple and filling. But only you know your friends and their expectations.

jmarvellous

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
We eat our main meal in the evening, so tomato soup and a grilled cheese would probably mean a run through the drive-thru on the way home. I think a dinner can be simple and filling. But only you know your friends and their expectations.

I apologize if this sounds critical, but I'm wondering what you eat, if soup and sandwich is not enough for a dinner.

For me, it sounds more like two dinners, though, of course, portion size is adjustable.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
I think the comment about the quality of the soup, salad, and sandwich is a good point. Past college days I'd be surprised to show up as a guest and be served a bowl of generic canned tomato soup, a grilled cheese on white sandwich bread with Kraft singles, and a salad of iceberg lettuce and bottled dressing.

Even if the point of the evening isn't dinner but maybe to work on a craft project together, I would still expect a little more effort.

Amara

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
Yum! What time should I be there, OP?

;)

metallicafan

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
If I'm having people over and I'm not cooking, we will order pizza and appetizers.

If I'm cooking,  then I would make pasta or chicken parmesan.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »

I apologize if this sounds critical, but I'm wondering what you eat, if soup and sandwich is not enough for a dinner.

For me, it sounds more like two dinners, though, of course, portion size is adjustable.

It's critical and absolutely none of your business regarding anybody else's eating habits unless you have a vested interest in it. You were out of line.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »
I think the comment about the quality of the soup, salad, and sandwich is a good point. Past college days I'd be surprised to show up as a guest and be served a bowl of generic canned tomato soup, a grilled cheese on white sandwich bread with Kraft singles, and a salad of iceberg lettuce and bottled dressing.

Even if the point of the evening isn't dinner but maybe to work on a craft project together, I would still expect a little more effort.

For the record, it was tomato basil soup that I canned myself this summer, sharp cheddar on herbed rolls from a local bakery, and greens from my friend's garden.

Perhaps my friends and I are light eaters, but soup, sandwiches and salads wouldn't be surprising fare at each others' homes.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »

For the record, it was tomato basil soup that I canned myself this summer, sharp cheddar on herbed rolls from a local bakery, and greens from my friend's garden.

Perhaps my friends and I are light eaters, but soup, sandwiches and salads wouldn't be surprising fare at each others' homes.

That is not a light dinner for me and sounds wonderful.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »

That sounds very nice.

I think that if you have tasty soup, sandwiches, and salad, that's a fine dinner for guests. The key point, in my opinion, is that there's enough food, that it tastes good (obviously that's subjective), and that you stay away from things that you know one or more guests will have a problem with.

Decent food and good company, what more do you need?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »
Most of the time when I invite people for dinner, I invite them for a substantial multi-serving meal. But sometimes, people are over when dinner rolls around and I offer them whatever we are having. We usually make extra for lunches so it's easy to add another person.

Ditto with my friends. Dinner is an event.

But I was just talking to a friend and told her how much I enjoyed dinner at her place. It was a random dinner with three women and 6 kids. All our husbands were at a conference so we got together for a play date and dinner with a few hours notice. We had pasta with jar sauce stirred together with cheese, bag of salad and some bread as a potluck. It was simple, it was low stress and  lots of fun.

When I want to entertain simply, I invite people for drinks and snacks. But I have this compulsion where I can't make a simple meal. I keep adding stuff. I'm not sure why as I enjoy eating anything that other people cook.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 04:06:55 AM »
First of all, you called the meal "supper". I'm from New England, and my family were farmers. Supper was always a light meal. We had Dinner at Noon.

In the 60's, my parents gave up farming, and we moved to a small town. The factory my Dad worked in, let everyone out for dinner, and my elementary school let us all out to go home for dinner (by the way, I was jealous of the kids from the outskirts who got to bring lunch in...) Dad then returned to work, and I returned to school.

Thinking back on it now, having the main meal at noon, and a light supper in the evening, was probably much more healthy!

As far as your menu goes, it sounds wonderful, and filling. Not everyone likes a heavy meal before going to bed.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:36 AM »

seriously - you can invite me over any night. that menu sounds wonderful.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

123sandy

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:46 AM »

I never eat breakfast and rarely eat lunch. I have two teenagers who eat breakfast a 6 am and skip lunch most of the time because they hate school dinners and a husband who doesn't get time to eat at work. A bowl so soup and a grilled cheese won't cut it.

And, yes, it did sound very critical.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »
Thinking back on it now, having the main meal at noon, and a light supper in the evening, was probably much more healthy!

I'm single so I can get away with doing this all the time.  I eat my larger meal at noon and supper is often just some soup and a piece of bread or toast.  It is supposed to help me lose weight but I've been doing this for almost 10 years and haven't lost anything.  But I haven't really gained, either, so maybe it is doing its job.

As for the OP's meal, I would call that substantial.  Just the soup and salad or just the sandwich and salad, I would maybe consider to be more lunch fare but all three?  More than enough for me, even if it were my main meal of the day.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario