Author Topic: People Over for Dinner  (Read 2671 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: People Over for Dinner
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
I think it sounds like a wonderful meal. I wouldn't bill it as a fancy dinner, but it sounds like you didn't so it's all good.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

RubyCat

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
I think the comment about the quality of the soup, salad, and sandwich is a good point. Past college days I'd be surprised to show up as a guest and be served a bowl of generic canned tomato soup, a grilled cheese on white sandwich bread with Kraft singles, and a salad of iceberg lettuce and bottled dressing.

Even if the point of the evening isn't dinner but maybe to work on a craft project together, I would still expect a little more effort.

For the record, it was tomato basil soup that I canned myself this summer, sharp cheddar on herbed rolls from a local bakery, and greens from my friend's garden.

Perhaps my friends and I are light eaters, but soup, sandwiches and salads wouldn't be surprising fare at each others' homes.

I nearly drooled on my computer, that sounds so delicious. I don't entertain often - though I would like to do so more often - but your menu sounds awesome.  Mmmmmmmmm.  At first I thought it didn't sound like enough food, but then really looked at it and it would be more substantial than the pizza and salad that my family frequently serves at get togethers and nobody ever leaves hungry. 

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 11:35:04 AM »
I think its a little simple for guests, but that's just me. We had casual company this week and I made baked brie, cheesesteaks, and bought pecan tarts. It was still pretty simple, but it wasn't every day food. It went over well.

My bff comes over for dinner every couple weeks and sometimes there's no edfort and its just what I would have made amyway, but usually I try to make it a little more special and she's pretty much part of our household.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
That food sounds good to me, OP. I'd give people heads-up as to the menu, but there's no need to make every meal with a guest a big event.

The reason I say that people should know a bit of what's on the menu is that once I was invited - short notice - by my then-step-MIL to lunch. We'd been planning on eating out, she insisted that we stay there for lunch. Problem is, lunch was pimento cheese sandwiches. Now, for those who love that, fine. But it's one of those food items that is - to be honest - yucky to many people. Not saying that she wasn't sweet to offer, and I didn't make a face or let on that I wouldn't eat that, but I found a way to graciously beg off.

But tomato soup and grilled cheese...yum!  :)