Author Topic: Things you love from other countries...  (Read 5596 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Things you love from other countries...
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
Z_squared: I really like Kettle brand Thai Chili chips in the US. They're that sweet-hot thing you're looking for, I bet. They're not the most common flavor, but if you see the red bag, you should try them!

nayberry

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:43 PM »
I got lucky when I found a local store that sells American and Australian goodies in the UK, americansweets.co.uk, I am hooked on twizzlers and pop tarts, plus I can get some of the rarer timtams, although tesco do have a lot of them now. Hubs loves reeves and the vanilla cola.  My best buy is old bay, that stuff goes with everything!!

More awkward to find are choco pies, South Korean heavenly treat, a bit like wagon wheels but better. There are a few Korean supermarkets around but they are all at least an hour away.

MagicEyes

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »
More awkward to find are choco pies, South Korean heavenly treat, a bit like wagon wheels but better. There are a few Korean supermarkets around but they are all at least an hour away.
Choco pies are similar to American moon pies. If you can find some of those, they might be an acceptable substitute.

nayberry

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
I tried them, they just aren't the same, which is annoying as it's easier to get them!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
We found a large German section at Aldi, and will be trying the bratwurst and marble poundcake.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
We're fortunate here.  We seem to have quite a few ex-pats from the UK in the neighborhood.  As a result, things like Bird's custard powder, candies of various descriptions and Branston pickle are readily available at reasonable prices. 

A few years ago, we were even to tickle a few Harry Potter fans by finding the Easter eggs described in one of the books.   

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
Perfume and related items.

Some of my favorite EDTs are from Italy.  There is also lovely soap from Greece and Turkey that costs almost nothing.