A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Do you line dry your laundry?

<< < (26/43) > >>

123sandy:
It has depended on where I've lived. At home in Scotland everything went out on the line when the weather was good for drying. In winter time it was not unusual to have the radiators draped with clothes.

I've lived in five different places in America, never once had a washing line. Had to buy a washer/dryer or use the launderette.

Two places in Italy. We had lines on our balconies. In winter we washed at home and dried at the base launderette.

Three places in Germany. No washing lines. In summer we use a drying rack and in winter we use the tumble dryer.

AmethystAnne:
I wish I had done a load of sheets and a load of towels in the washer last night. I could have hung them on the clothes line this morning. Our area is having a brief break in the cold weather. It got up to 59degreesF today.

Up until and including Thursday this week it's been no higher than 29.

Vall:
When I first went on my own and married XDH, we line-dried our clothes exclusively because we didn't have a dryer for four years.  We lived in the country so HOAs weren't an issue.  It was okay in nice weather but winter was horrible.  My hands would turn bright red and my knuckles would crack.  It isn't unusual for our temperatures to dip down to 0 F.  Our windchills occasionally reach -40F (this year we've hit around -25F so far).  Most often, the winter temps are in the teens which is still cold enough.  My hands would be freezing by the time I got back into the house!  As far as freeze dried clothing, they were like boards and we'd take them into the house and let them thaw before we could fold them.  Sometimes they thawed dry and other times they'd be damp.

I liked the country air smell of the clothes in the summer but only when the country air smelled good.  There are many smells in the country that are not-so-pleasant.  If I lived in the country again, I might hang out clothes in nice weather.  Especially bedding.  But the weather and our city yard is simply not convenient.

We use the dryer on everything except my bras.  It costs us about .50 in electricity for each load--we do about 4 loads a week.  So the dryer costs us about $100 a year.  That's about the same price as one date night for me and DH.  I don't giving that up for the convenience of dry, soft clothes in any weather.

MurPl1:

--- Quote from: cicero on January 21, 2014, 03:35:49 AM ---american living in israel here.

we have a portable line thing that we use inside the apartment or on the terrace, depending on the weather. (it's just me and DS). I also never understood why people consider laundry hanging outside a sign of poverty - to me it's just a sign that people live there. Many of the newer construction in israel (probably in the last 20 years or more) have the area sort of covered with slats (where air can circulate but he laundry isn't very visible) like this:

We do have a dryer but i haven't used it in about 8 years (not even sure it still works) - it's just too darned expensive to run. DS is in charge of the laundry - he sorts, washes, hangs - and he has a whole system of getting it all done on Friday and by Saturday afternoon it's usually all dry. (depending on the weather, he either puts ito on the balcony or in the Living Room near the radiator. )

--- End quote ---

I think you actually just explained why people associate line drying with poverty- the expense of using the dryer would presumably not be an issue to an affluent person.  Or even paying to own a dryer.   Which doesn't cover the aspect of why not line dry if you chose to.

Margo:
I think there are also quite big differences in electricity costs in different countries - I think we in the UK pay more for power, so using a dryer would probably be more expensive.

Another factor may be that on average, I think our houses tend to be smaller, so the extra space of a dryer as well as a washer may be a consideration.  There is  no space in my kitchen for a dryer, so if I wanted one I'd have to get rid of my dishwasher.  I don't have a separate utility room.

I love the smell and feel of line-dried sheets - last weekend was the first time this spring it's been warm and dry enough for me to hang my sheets and duvet cover outside, and I was so happy when I put them on the bed and got to snuggle into that lovely clean feeling! My washing line runs over my lavender and rosemary bushes so there's a hint of those scents, too (although I get that a little anyway, as I have bags of dried lavender in my airing cupboard)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version