Author Topic: Do you line dry your laundry?  (Read 11073 times)

Margo

Re: Do you line dry your laundry?
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
It's interesting - I'd never think of line-drying as being particularly energetic or worthy of admiration  ;) I shall be sure to think of myself s being energetic as I hang up my washing this evening!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »
I think I was the first one that mentioned it being illegal.  I don't live in an HOA.  It is actually the city that has banned it.  I think that this city is a tad bit ... pretentious.   I think it is just one of those local things.  They also have a rule that all new houses have to be at least X% brick exterior.  I would guess around 70%.  Some places, none of the houses are brick and they look fine.  But, in this city, people would think about a new wood house, "Why didn't you save up a little more money and buy a real house?" 

Of course, when our drier died while we were cloth diapering our baby, the law didn't stop us from stringing twine ALL over the backyard.  I actually think the neighbors would not worry if you put a clothes line in your fenced back yard.  Houses are single-story in my neighborhood.   If you did not have a fence (rare), and a clothes line they would probably complain.  But more because the clothes line would give them an excuse to complain since you aren't required to have a fence.  Although, I have figured out that the garbage guys get bonuses for reporting people with too long grass.  We have an alley so the garbage truck goes down it.  They might report a clothes line in a fenced backyard hoping to get a bonus.  Nobody said anything about the twine all over our backyard.  Although, seeing about a 100 old-fashioned white cloth diapers hanging from twine strung from the frame of the bench swing to a tree branch to the fence to another tree branch, etc.  anyone would know that our drier died and that was a temporary fix. 

The drier is such a tiny part of my electric bill, cost is not a consideration.  I hang my clothes on a hanger because it is better for them, and I'll be hanging them eventually anyway, so no extra work.  We are remodeling an old house and when I saw that the laundry room and the master closet shared a wall, I insisted on a hole between them and a clothes rod through the hole.  I can hang up my clothes in the laundry room, and then dry, just shove them into the closet. 

Teenyweeny

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
We are remodeling an old house and when I saw that the laundry room and the master closet shared a wall, I insisted on a hole between them and a clothes rod through the hole.  I can hang up my clothes in the laundry room, and then dry, just shove them into the closet.

That, my friend, is genius.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
We are remodeling an old house and when I saw that the laundry room and the master closet shared a wall, I insisted on a hole between them and a clothes rod through the hole.  I can hang up my clothes in the laundry room, and then dry, just shove them into the closet.

That, my friend, is genius.

Seconded. I want this setup!

squeakers

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
Mid-west US.  I only line dry comforters, blankets, sheets and towels in the summer (takes less time than doing them (comforters/blankets) twice in the drier). At our little house I used both the line and the drier for everything depending on the weather since the line was just outside the door. Now at the big house it involves carrying baskets up the stairs from the basement, going outside the length of the house and into the side yard. I tend to be out of energy just coming back up the stairs.

When I was a little girl we were very poor.  We had a wringer washer (when regular washers were the norm) and line dried either outside or had lines hung in the basement (wood furnace helped with the drying).

We're planning on getting some of those stacking washer and dryer once a boy or two moves out and placing them in the upstairs hallway (linen closet backs into one of the boys' bedroom's closet and we'd knock the wall down for a tab bit more room). Less laundry means smaller appliances. And no more me having to climb the stairs. But that won't be for another 5 years or so. 
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

CakeEater

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
It's interesting - I'd never think of line-drying as being particularly energetic or worthy of admiration  ;) I shall be sure to think of myself s being energetic as I hang up my washing this evening!

Yes, I'll feel all virtuous as well.  ;)

Iris

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »

Yes, I'll feel all virtuous as well.  ;)

I hung out three loads yesterday. It's like I'm a domestic goddess  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
Hey, compared to standing in one spot and moving clothes from one box to another, I'd say that hauling a full basket of damp clothes through the basement, up the stairs, across the house, out the door, and putting them up one by one is pretty darn energetic in my eyes!  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »
Hey, compared to standing in one spot and moving clothes from one box to another, I'd say that hauling a full basket of damp clothes through the basement, up the stairs, across the house, out the door, and putting them up one by one is pretty darn energetic in my eyes!  ;D

Mine, too.  Which is why I don't do it.   :)  Uses up too many spoons for me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ereine

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »
I'm in Finland and mostly dry my clothes on a rack indoors. I'm not sure if I have any clothes that can go into a dryer, apart from maybe socks (like rayon knits) and it doesn't seem worth it. I do my laundry in my buildings laundry room and using the drier would two extra trips up and down four flights of stairs. I do use it for sheets and towels, they're too big that hang in the apartment. I do like the smell of sheets that have been dried outside but don't usually do it because of pollen (sheets get too soft in the dryer and don't feel as clean to me). I might try it now that it's freezing, when the landry freezes it also dries (or at least that's my experience here). My complex has a good drying area outside, including big metal racks for drying rugs.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »
...(sheets get too soft in the dryer and don't feel as clean to me). ...

That is funny.  I guess it is what you are used to.  I tried line drying the sheets and we both hated the stiffness.  It felt scratchy.  We ended up rolling the sheets into a ball, and flicking them and other things to make them not so stiff. 

SCMagnolia

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
I grew up -- and still live -- in a very rural area and it was not unusual to see clothes hanging on a line.  There isn't a kid around here who didn't love to run between sheets and towels hanging on a clothesline and the smell was just SOOOOOOOO GOOD! 

But....  you never seem to see that around here anymore.  I would love to hang towels and sheets out to dry because it seems they take so long in the dryer, but my issue is allergies and the pollen that would collect on them at certain times of the year would make my life miserable.

That said, I don't use the dryer for much besides towels, sheets, and gutchies and a few other things that I don't worry about shrinking.  I will put clothes in the dryer for just a few minutes to fluff and warm the wrinkles out of them and then I hang them up -- I've found if you hang shirts and pants neatly on hangers, you don't usually have to do too much ironing on them, if any.  Sweaters and things that would stretch out if hung up go over a drying rack.  I have a woodburner in my downstairs (where my laundry room is) and I also run a dehumidifier (which I'd do anyhow, since dampness is an issue) and that helps things to dry quickly. 

The only issue I've found is static.  I don't like the in-washer fabric softeners (they were leaving a buildup that was staining my clothes - apparently the liquid fabric softeners do not mix with our hard water), and my clothes aren't in the dryer long enough for a dryer sheet to be much help.   I go through a LOT of Static-Guard!

I don't think I could ever live in a place where the HOA said you couldn't hang laundry.  Not that I'd put stuff out all the time to dry, but I grew up with that and I think it's a really quaint reminder of those days!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »

Mine, too.  Which is why I don't do it.   :)  Uses up too many spoons for me.

Yes.  Also, I can't imagine hanging wet laundry out when it's so cold out.  It seems to me it would be pretty painful to do so when it's below freezing.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
Genuine question for those who think drying washing outside makes people look poor - outside clotheslines here are as standard a part of the home as the mailbox.  I've always lived in nice areas and most people hang their washing out to dry. Most people's clotheslines can't be seen from the street, but if for some reason some could be, would you consider those homeowners to be poor?

I've just returned from Asia and it was commonplace to see washing hanging out of windows/balconies, but as housing space there is severely restricted and most live in flats, I just assumed it was standard for people to dry their stuff that way. I'm sure some of those people were poor, but I'd think it a bit judgmental to assume they all were based solely on their clothes drying habits.

Bit OT: When I was pregnant with DS1 my elderly neighbour said she couldn't wait to see my line full of nice clean nappies blowing in the wind. :D
I don't buy into that attitude but I think it started after WWII. As the military came back, got married, and bought new track houses in new suburbs with all the modern conveniences during the post war boom a line was drawn in peoples minds.

Lack of modern conveniences = pre war depression era poverty

Modern conveniences = boom times, escaping poverty boom times.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jones

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
Because of this thread I have been hanging my laundry throughout the house on my usually-used-to-cool-house-in-the-summer lines this week. I can't say I enjoy walking through the wet laundry but it's kinda nice to have the extra water in the air.