Author Topic: Do you line dry your laundry?  (Read 10107 times)

Katana_Geldar

Do you line dry your laundry?
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »
Well, do you?

I thought this was something everyone did, but I've heard in so e countries it's seen as almost quaint and a sign of poverty or lack of a dryer. I realise that in certain climates, line drying isn't always possible, but even with access to a dryer I still choose to air dry some things. Sound clothes can't be put in the dryer, and some things like bed linen I consumer a waste of time in the dryer.

I live in an apartment without a dryer. We have a washing machine bug we usually air dry outside or inside in bad weather. DH wants to get a washer/dryer for when the baby comes. But in every backyard in Australia you are almost guaranteed to find a hills hoist, it's absence is often marked.

So, do you air dry your laundry, just use a dryer or use some combination of the two?

Bluenomi

Re: Do you line dry your laundry?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:05:45 AM »
Line dry here when I can like most Aussies. I only use the dryer in winter if it's wet and only for some things that won't shrink.

When I lived in the UK most people used dryers, none of our neighbours had clothes lines. I hated it, so many if my clothes shrank! Our house also ended up with clothes drapped across radiators a lot.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:49 AM »
american living in israel here.

we have a portable line thing that we use inside the apartment or on the terrace, depending on the weather. (it's just me and DS). I also never understood why people consider laundry hanging outside a sign of poverty - to me it's just a sign that people live there. Many of the newer construction in israel (probably in the last 20 years or more) have the area sort of covered with slats (where air can circulate but he laundry isn't very visible) like this:

We do have a dryer but i haven't used it in about 8 years (not even sure it still works) - it's just too darned expensive to run. DS is in charge of the laundry - he sorts, washes, hangs - and he has a whole system of getting it all done on Friday and by Saturday afternoon it's usually all dry. (depending on the weather, he either puts ito on the balcony or in the Living Room near the radiator. )

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Library Dragon

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:45:02 AM »
Not outside.  In the summer it's too humid. I have a rack that I hang many of my cardigans on and also a series of screened shelves for drying clothes. 

Sometimes I'll dry things 90% air dry and toss them in the dryer.  It finishes drying them and removes wrinkles.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:50:47 AM »
I do not. I live in apartment complex and it is written into the lease that you cannot airdry your clothes outside. They turn a blind eye to swimsuits, one or two bath towels (it's presumed they are drying after drying yourself off after swimming) and bathmats as long as it's a temporary drying and not there for days.

Add to that I do not have a washing machine in my apartment and I'm not hauling back wet laundry to dry inside my apartment. 

ktanne

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:03:25 AM »
Line dry always - I don't even have a dryer any more, I used it so little - but then again, line drying is pretty easy in Perth!  (on Saturday afternoon, the first lot of washing was dry by the time I went to hang out the second lot... sometimes in summer, I dry things on racks inside, so they don't get too hot & stiff!! haha)

One of the things I hated about the UK was never being able to air dry my clothes (even on warm/ dry days, it always seemed a little too humid for clothes to dry properly).  I find dryers hard on both your clothes & your wallet, and I feel like your washing always smells a bit damp... 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:11:45 AM »
Queenslander here.

I usually hang stuff outside. Actually I have no choice at the moment. Our dryer died just before we moved house recently and we haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. But when we did have a dryer I'd use it more than I should've, as I just couldn't be bothered hanging it all up. I especially hate hanging out dozens of small things like undies and socks. (I like to pair the socks up before hanging hence making it extra fiddly and time consuming).

I prefer the feel of towels from the dryer as they're softer.

This past winter was very wet and it was a real challenge getting things dry without a dryer. I have no idea why we didn't just go and buy a new one.  ::)

menley

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 05:00:59 AM »
Living in the US (and growing up in humid Houston), line drying was indeed seen as something that you would only do if you were poor. If you put wet laundry on the wash, it'd likely still be damp days later due to the humidity!

Additionally, I had the same experience as iridaceae with apartments and homes in HOA areas that prohibit line-drying laundry.

Now, living in central Europe, our washer/dryer combo is a disaster, and while our landlord also provides a separate dryer, it is so low-powered that once I timed how long it took to dry a pair of jeans constantly in the dryer - it was 9 hours. That's ridiculous. So I bought a drying rack from IKEA that can hold something like 25 items, and I do laundry just before bed and put the items on the rack. In the morning, they're 95% dry, and I just toss them in the dryer for 15 minutes to get out the stiffness and that last bit of moisture.

Now that I've had that experience, I will definitely be doing the same when we return to the US, because I've noticed that the clothes just hold up better when they don't spend as much time in the dryer. It will have to be inside, though, because we will still have those same humidity issues.

A question for those who do line dry outside - doesn't it smell bad or get dirt or bird droppings on it? Whenever I've been outside there's sort of an undefinable "outside" smell that clings to my clothes, and we have so many birds and squirrels in our backyard in Texas that I wouldn't trust leaving my clothes out there, even if it were permitted by the HOA.

perpetua

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 05:05:55 AM »
UK here. I tumble dry in the winter when it's too cold and damp to line dry (a new thing for me, I've only just bought one; before I used the clothes airer indoors but my flat is old and cold and it takes a couple of days for things to dry like that). In the summer I hang it outdoors. I'm certainly not going to spend money on running the tumble drier when the sun can do it for free! Electric is expensive here.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:08 AM »
I've never had a problem with birds or small animals wherever I've hung up washing. Occasionally there are insects I find, small spiders and the like, but nothing more.

As for smells, the only smells I've noticed are maybe smoke if there's bush fires about, and sometimes you'd get ash if they were close but that would be it. And I probably wouldn't put my washing out if there were fires about anyway.

CakeEater

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:07 AM »

A question for those who do line dry outside - doesn't it smell bad or get dirt or bird droppings on it? Whenever I've been outside there's sort of an undefinable "outside" smell that clings to my clothes, and we have so many birds and squirrels in our backyard in Texas that I wouldn't trust leaving my clothes out there, even if it were permitted by the HOA.

Maybe I don't notice any smell, because I've never owned a drier, but no, I can't say there's an 'outside' smell. My parents have some trouble with bats flying over their house at twilight, so they try to get clothes in before then.

If I leave clothes outside overnight, I'll find that moths are resting in the clothes when I bring them in. Not the clothes-eating kind, just outdoor moths.

It was ridiculously hot and dry today here - it took about 10 minutes to dry a pair of jeans.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 05:35:19 AM »

I can't say I've ever experienced that, and I've never personally come across anyone else who's had those problem either. Quite the opposite actually - if I've left a load in the washing machine too long (which has happened one more than one occasion... ::) ) then the quickest way to get rid of the smell is to rinse it again and then hang it outside in the fresh air.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:42 AM »
Sheets dried outside smell like the sun and fresh air. Lovely to put them straight onto the bed. Best sleep ever.

Have had no problems with birds or other animals when drying clothes outside. Occasional insect wandering in.

Use the dryer in winter here (or a clothes horse for the more delicate stuff) and for towels because they feel so much softer.

Didn't have a dryer growing up in Darwin (very hot and humid all year round) yet didn't have major problems getting stuff dry outside except in the wet season. Then it could be hard to find enough rain free time to dry out the clothes properly.

Iris

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 05:56:41 AM »
Like a 'proper' Aussie I have a largish backyard that features a hills hoist and I use it all the time. At the moment it would be rare for it to be empty at all because the we hang out swimmers and beach towels on it after the pool or the beach. I own a dryer which I use for the bath towels (softer) and emergencies but that's all. I find it wrecks clothes.

As to birds, they won't roost on a line when there are clothes hung there although they will use it when it's empty. Dirt would only be a problem if there were a dust storm which is very rare where I live now, and where I used to live you saw it coming and brought the washing in. As for smell, I like the 'fresh air' smell of line dried clothes and dislike the 'indoors' smell of dryer clothes so maybe it's personal preference.

I had a friend who went on exchange to a Scandinavian country where it was too cold to use a line and she used to hang her clothes outside for a while after they dried because she got so homesick for the smell.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 05:58:08 AM »
UK here, I line dry in the summer, and put stuff on radiators or a clothes horse in winter. I think tumble driers are wasteful, plus the smell of outdoor-dried laundry is wonderful.