Author Topic: Do you line dry your laundry?  (Read 11125 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: Do you line dry your laundry?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 06:03:51 AM »
I do not. I live in apartment complex and it is written into the lease that you cannot airdry your clothes outside. They turn a blind eye to swimsuits, one or two bath towels (it's presumed they are drying after drying yourself off after swimming) and bathmats as long as it's a temporary drying and not there for days.

Add to that I do not have a washing machine in my apartment and I'm not hauling back wet laundry to dry inside my apartment.
This actually makes me weep for the planet.

I love line drying, washing smells so good when it's line dried. I have never had a problem with bird poo or odd smells. Not to mention that sunshine is the best way to get tomato stains out. And it's FREE!!

Victoria

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 06:07:47 AM »

I love line drying, washing smells so good when it's line dried. I have never had a problem with bird poo or odd smells. Not to mention that sunshine is the best way to get tomato stains out. And it's FREE!!

I figure I make up for it by living in an apartment and not having kids.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »

I figure I make up for it by living in an apartment and not having kids.
Sorry, I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming the policy.

Victoria

Teenyweeny

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »
Why is it written into the lease that you can't airdry your laundry? Is it because it looks 'messy'? I want to whack whoever decided that rule! What a snob! And let me tell you, the effects of climate change are a whole lot messier than a bit of laundry.

Of course, I don't blame the people who have to abide by the rule, but the person who made it makes my blood boil.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
From what I understand, laundry lines are associated with poverty and can look rather unsightly in an apartment complex. And some people do t like the look of washing on the line, particularly underwear. Personally, I don't mind it. It s a fact of life. We wear clothes,clothes need cleaning.

Where I live, we aren't allowed to have laundry on the balcony, either over the railing or on a clothes horse. But we have a drying area outside to do laundry in (though it can get crowded and some of the lines need restringing). My dad had to take down a washing line on his balcony and he has no such place for drying clothes, but then he lives by himself.

I found this article, I honestly wonder about the author. I've never had any if these problems myself.
http://laundry.about.com/od/linedryinglaundry/a/6-Reasons-To-Not-Dry-Your-Clothes-Outside.htm

iridaceae

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 06:36:41 AM »
Where I live Valley Fever( well the Western US's version of it) is endemic. I have wondered if drying outside is a bad idea because of the spores would get onto clothes.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »
Where I live Valley Fever( well the Western US's version of it) is endemic. I have wondered if drying outside is a bad idea because of the spores would get onto clothes.

I'd think that the risk of catching an airborne disease (or being adversely affected by spores, dust, etc) would be about the same whether you line-dried your laundry or whether you just went outdoors, opened doors/windows, or whatever. Unless you're going to extra lengths to prevent disease (masks, extra washing, etc), then I can't imagine that the risk is appreciably higher.

iridaceae

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »

I'd think that the risk of catching an airborne disease (or being adversely affected by spores, dust, etc) would be about the same whether you line-dried your laundry or whether you just went outdoors, opened doors/windows, or whatever. Unless you're going to extra lengths to prevent disease (masks, extra washing, etc), then I can't imagine that the risk is appreciably higher.

During certain times of the year they will issue warnings about Valley Fever and how if you have compromised immune systems, are elderly etc. you should stay inside and not open windows. It can be nasty; one of the local newscasters contracted it and was hospitalized tor two ir three weeks.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 06:50:34 AM »
I'd love to, but I simply cannot.  My allergies are so bad that line drying outside would just have me rewashing the load to get the pollen off (pretty much if it's a tree, grass, or mold, I'm allergic to it). I live in Florida and there is pretty much outdoor allergens year round, it's just worse during certain times of  the year. I used to line dry and then toss in the dryer for a few minutes, but I was still breaking out in hives.  I do line dry my non-dryer clothes on an indoor rack...there isn't room for all my laundry on it though.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Carotte

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »
I have to air dry in my small Parisian flat. No dryer, we'd have trouble to find a place for it and washer/dryers are not good enough on their own.
In the summer it's ok, we have a wire rack in front of the window, drape the bed linens over the closets doors and everything is dry in a matter of hours.
In the winter it's cold and humid, putting everything that I can on hangers and hanging them all over cuts down on the drying time. A hanger-hanging shirt will take maybe 6hours versus 24 and more on the rack. The rack just doesn't allow enough air flow.
If they're all bunched up on the rack with clothspin my SO boxers take days to dry, and I don't like always having the rack open and taking place in the bedroom.  :(

Jones

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
Western US here. We don't air dry outside for a multitude of reasons. We do have lines strung through the hall and family area. I hate how they look but put tinsel on them at Christmas and streamers at parties so I hope people think they are part of my decorating plan.

When it is warm we hang the laundry and turn on the fans and the house cools nicely.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 08:45:34 AM »
In my area, there were some housing developments that had rules prohibiting clothes lines.  Not exactly HOA but it was a local by-law or something.  It has been struck down at a provincial level but they can still prohibit some types of outside lines.  For example, it has to be a compact one that can be removed and put away once the clothes are dry.

Not that there's any prohibition in my neighbourhood but my neighbours have this type of line dryer and use it as long as there isn't snow on the ground.

I don't dry my laundry outside.  It adds too much work for me that I can't handle.  I'd have to take my laundry basket out the garage door, circle around outside the house into the back yard and then up to the deck if I had a traditional line.  I do end up hanging a bunch of stuff, mostly shirts, lingerie and high tech fabrics, to dry on a rack I have in my bedroom.  I do 4 loads of laundry every 3 weeks and usually only have 3 dryer loads because I can combine a couple of washer loads into one dryer load when I pull out all my shirts.

I remember reading a story about a woman who line dried everything.  She had an older bachelor neighbour and her mother thought she shouldn't hang everything out on the line so as not to offend this gentleman.  The woman ignored her mother and carried on.  And found out when her neighbour's 50th birthday was.  So she proceeded to hang 50 pieces of lingerie out on the line that day.  Neighbour apparently got a good laugh out of it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
UK here and I line dry everything in the summer and use radiators etc inside in the winter. I do have a dryer, but use it only very rarely because of the expense, and also because I don't generally need the items that are drying for a couple of days or more so have time to wait for it to dry naturally. If I need the item faster, then I use the dryer.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
US here.

Growing up, we pretty much line-dried everything outside whenever possible. (Military family, some places we lived didn't have outside clotheslines and we weren't allowed to put one up.)

As an adult, living mostly in apartments, it's been mixed. In my current place, there is no place outside to dry clothing. Some things can be dried inside, but during the humid summers we have here, stuff takes days to dry indoors and can start to smell before it is dry. So pretty much everything goes in the drier.

In the winter, with the heat on, things dry much faster. But there isn't room to hang up a sheet to dry, so I probably dry half my laundry in the machine and half on drying racks in the house in the winter. And I have to admit, dragging a full laundry basket of wet, heavy clothes up two flights of stairs gets tiring. Stuff would freeze outside before it would dry, most of the winter. (Right now, it is 4 degrees F (-15 C).

I have had apartments with outdoor drying areas and did take full advantage of them. My last place was a Boston three decker--a three family house in a neighborhood full of 2 and 3 family homes. The area was built up during the 1920s, and pretty much all the houses had at one time had clotheslines. Mostly pulley clotheslines that extended from the back porch to a tall pole in the back yard, so that the people living on the second and third floors wouldn't have to carry their laundry up and down stairs--they could just go out to the back porch and hang it up. My next door neighbors still had the pulley clotheslines, and you could see markings on the pole where my apartment must have had one as well, but it was long gone.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

cutejellybeen

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 09:12:54 AM »
I live in Eastern Canada (The atlantic provinces) lines are used by about 50% of the people I would say. I never grew up using them, and therefor cant stand having my clothes dried on a line outside - I find them stiff, crunchy and they smelled odd.

I lived with my ex at his parents house one summer. I did all my own laundry, but one day came home to find that his mother didn't like how I was doing her precious baby's things and had put all my laundry through the wash, and had a line out of my underwear for the neighbourhood to see. I went to a laundromat after that. (I.was.livid.)

That said, in my own house, I have a clothes horse for most of my clothes that might shrink in the dryer. The only things I use the dryer for are socks, underwear, towels and sheets. My hubby puts most of his things in the dryer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:14:28 AM by cutejellybeen »