Author Topic: Do you line dry your laundry?  (Read 12439 times)

Teenyweeny

Re: Do you line dry your laundry?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
I think the clothes only go stiff if you don't use fabric softner. I also don't give two hoots about anybody seeing my pants. It's just some fabric. If anybody finds that salacious in this day and age, more power to them. They are going to be SHOCKED when they discover the internet.  ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
I'm 56 - I grew up in West Texas with a clothes line in the back yard of my house (and most of the relatives' houses) until I was 16 or so - the climate there can be described as "semi-arid" or possibly "mostly dry".

But, as times changed, clothes dryers became an appliance instead of wires or thin rope strung across the backyard.

My allergies to pollen, mold, and dust do better with the clothes in the dryer - my clothes might last a bit longer if they stayed OUT of the dryer...some of my pants might even BE longer if they hadn't shrunk in the dryer!

On the whole - I don't miss hanging clothes on the line and brining them in (I was the oldest and got to take over that chore as soon as I was tall enough - or at least "checking" the line for Mom to see if things were dry yet).  On a windy day in West Texas, towels might be almost as soft dried outside as inside and it might take about the same amount of time (less than an hour), too. 

Sheets smelled good - but my allergies act up less if the sheets are done in the clothes dryer instead of the clothesline...and in Houston, the weather is still humid enough that things don't dry that fast as well as the Home Owners' Associations having all kinds of rules about what can be seen from the street - so a discrete line that could be put away when not in use might be okay, it might also catch some flack if you left clothes on it "too long"....and in a humid climate, things just don't finish drying in only an hour.....

Anything with elastic (Lycra or other stretchy fibers) in the fabric or garment gets hung to dry inside (no hideaway clothes line outside) - bras, swimwear, sweaters (pullovers) that are loosely enough knit to look like "hand knit" instead of t-shirts, and the like still get hung to dry inside, under a ceiling fan, if possible (faster drying).  But that's to protect them from being damaged by the heat of the clothes dryer....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:25:06 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
Our neighbors use their clothesline all the time.  (We're in the US).  I rarely use ours.  Rain, air quality, and sheer volume of laundry keep me from using it more.  I'll line dry some things inside, though.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:21 AM »
We don't line dry and we have a dryer that stopped heating about a year ago.  In my city (in the top 50 biggest in the US), clothes lines are illegal.  Although almost everyone has a fenced backyard, so if you had a line it is unlikely anyone would complain. 

But, I do have an obscenely large laundry room.  Probably 8'x10'  (I don't have a large house, and the master bath is 6'x8').  Just large laundry rooms were a fashion when my house was built.  I have a clothes rod going across the room high overheard.  So, if it can be hung on a clothesrod.  I hang it.   In a few months we will be moving to a house with gas, and we'll be getting a gas dryer then.  But, for a long time we were perfectly happy to just have the electric dryer tumble the clothes until they were dry.  Only towels took a long time. Maybe it is because I am hanging them up inside, but towels are incredibly stiff if hung up.  My skin is extremely sensitive, so I don't use fabric softeners. 

veronaz

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »
Midwest USA

I almost never see clothes hung outside anymore, except in rural areas out in the country – and even that is rare.

It used to be common, but not so much anymore.  When I was a kid living on the outskirts of town we hung clothes out using clothespins all the time.  I love the smell of fresh sheets that have been dried outside!  :)

But I also recall running with my mother out to take things down if it started to rain.  Also, I don’t remember what we did in the winter.

I have a drying rack (small) that I use for lingerie or even a towel after I wash my hair sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:15:51 AM by veronaz »

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Drying things outside when it is windy will help to keep them from getting stiff. Ironing them after they dry will also un-stiffen them. But so will wearing them for about 5 minutes.

Looking back, even though we line-dried most stuff when I was a kid, there were also 9 people in the family. We did 2-4 loads of laundry a day, except Sundays. Sure, we could miss a day here or there, but if it was raining for days on end, we also used the dryer. There was simply too much laundry to miss more than a day or two here or there.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jmarvellous

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
We use the laundromat's dryer for anything that's not delicate or prone to shrinking. It works poorly (takes for-ev-er), but we don't have space for 3 weeks of clothes to dry in our apartment (we do laundry every 2+ weeks). I have a folding wire rack for the delicates. There is literally no way to hang anything outside at our apartment -- we have screened-in windows, no porch, and we're on the third floor in an urban area.

I find clothes that were dried outside unpleasantly stiff to wear, and smelly (and often dirtier than when they came out of the wash). Sheets or towels are even worse. (And no, I don't used scented fabric softener in the dryer.)

Growing up (Texas coast) we only regularly hung beach towels and swimsuits and large, fluffy blankets that didn't fit in the dryer; I believe we line-dried more when we lived in Michigan.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
NYC here.  Where we live it would not be possible to line dry laundry.  Many people who live in brownstones have backyards so they might but it couldn't be seen from the street. 

We have a drier and use that. 

Jones

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
Continuation of previous post...

In my area, line drying outside when there's so much as a breeze results in dirt attaching itself to the damp seams and then drying on. More than a slight breeze and there's a good chance of losing some of my socks or other small laundry, and almost definitely have to rewash the bigger stuff. Those are some of the reasons I don't hang laundry outside...others include, but not limited to, cottonwood trees, ragweed, thieving perverts (more of a concern where I used to live than here), my forgetting a thing out there and having to rewash it, the weather changing 3 times a day, the funny marks left by the wires, and neighborhood cats. We don't use fabric softener because DH has sensitivities of varying degrees to every brand I've tried, and even when we hang stuff in the house we generally tumble dry it when damp to get the stiffness out.

Redwing

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »
I live in the Midwest, about 35 miles northwest of Chicago, to be exact.  We line dry outside as soon as it is feasible in Spring and as late into the Autumn as we can.  Love the smell of line-dried sheets and towels!  In the winter, we hang our laundry on 2-3 racks.  Yes, they take longer to dry, but the clothes seem to be the better for it.

magicdomino

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
Mid-Atlantic area of the U.S.  Thanks to pollen allergies, I can't line dry as much as I'd like.  Bedding pretty much has to go in the dryer, but I can get away with jeans and shorts outside, at least if the oaks aren't in full pollen dispersal mode.  I don't worry too much about what the neighbors think as the neighbors on both sides have 6 foot privacy fences.  Then again, I've wondered if the neighbor on the clothesline side put up the privacy fence partly so that he doesn't have to look at my clothes.

In winter, I have a wooden clothes rack next to the fireplace for jeans, sweatpants, bras, and anything else that I don't feel like putting in the dryer..

BigBadBetty

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
I live in Midwest USA. I use a dryer for all things but shirts, bras, nice pants and other delicates. I have a drying rack and also use hangers on the shower rod. I live in an apartment-style condo so I would have nowhere to hang it. My boyfriend lives in the country. He doesn't have a line to dry clothes. His neighbors use theirs often. We couldn't dry sheets outside anyway due to his allergies. We can't use fabric softener either or he will be itchy.

kckgirl

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
I have a clothes drying rack where I hang delicates and occasionally sheets and towels. My other clothing goes about 15-20 minutes in the dryer to knock out any wrinkles, then gets hung on hangers and put on my other rack with a fan blowing on it.
Maryland

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
Southern US. I'm late 40s and haven't lived in a house with an outside clothesline since I was 5. The only things that don't go into the dryer are sweaters or delicates and those go on an indoor clothes rack.

I know lots of people like the smell of outdoor dried clothes but I hate that smell. My mom would put blankets too big for the dryer outside to hang and I couldn't wait for that smell to go away. Occasionally I'll need to hand wash a delicate item to wear quickly and will hang it outside to dry in the sun. I end up wearing too much perfume to mask that "wonderful" outdoors smell.

And I like the outdoors. I do tons of hiking, camping, walking. I just don't want my clothes to smell like that. (My nose is wrinkled just thinking about it).

Line drying also seems like a lot of work.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
I grew up in suburban Midwest and now live in the upper South.  I've never hung clothes out to dry in the States.  I didn't see it as a kid; only in the country.

We had a dingy clothesline outside our room in China.  It almost wasn't worth washing the clothes, as hanging them out in that smog and particulates just re-dirtied them.