Author Topic: Do you line dry your laundry?  (Read 12527 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Do you line dry your laundry?
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
Dryers cost electricity and need to have the lint filter cleaned all the time. A clothesline just wants winding down, pegging out, and taking in a few hours later. Much simpler and cheaper.

I'll agree with cheaper but no way would I agree with simpler.  In order to line dry my laundry, I'd have to unload the washer into my basket, head out through the garage then go through the side alley to behind my house, up onto my deck to a regular type line or get the compact one out of my shed and put it in the ground, hang each piece up one by one, using clothespins, then repeat the process in reverse once everything was dry.  It is MUCH simpler just to throw the load in the dryer and crank it on.

And to reiterate something I said earlier, in sub-zero temperatures I'm especially glad to have a dryer.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
Several posts in this thread mention clothing being damaged by clothes dryers. How much of a problem is this, really? A lot of my clothes  are really old (10 years and more). They are always dried in the machine and they are not damaged. I always use the lowest reasonable setting and dry some things inside out (if the care label recommends it) and never have a problem. On the other hand, I did have clothes damaged by clothes pins and low flying birds (who'd been indulging in red berries) when I hung clothes outside.

I was wondering the same but didn't want to appear ignorant, so I didn't post the question. :)  I have a LOT of shirts from high school, some I didn't wear for 2-4 years of being to large for them but since I did the baggy style thing in HS those are in the minority. I also have 3 pairs of pants I recently began wearing again after 2 year hiatus, again due to weight gain, but they were worn pretty solidly over the 6-7 years (minus a year and a half or so around DD's time) before that. One pair of jeans I recently noticed is becoming very thin in the butt, and I saw a mend in my green sweater today has come lose, but otherwise most of my stuff is still pretty wearable if I still want to wear it. I tend to use the dryer 3/4 of the year, or more if I want to avoid picking out cottonwood seeds and shaking out dust.

I just figured I've been very lucky in my clothing or something. Socks, now, I'd like to replace those annually.

Whew!  I'm relieved to hear I'm not alone.  I've never hung clothes on a clothesline (indoors or out) since I graduated from high school in 1960.  I've been married almost 47 years and we both still have some clothes from our college days! 

I use a top loading washer which spins things very dry.  Most things dry in the dryer in an hour or less.  Some things much less. The only thing I have to "repeat" dry are my down pillows which don't fluff up properly until they've been dried twice.  The dryer senses that the ticking is dry and doesn't realize that the fluffy down inside is all still glomped together, so I just toss them back in and turn it on again.

My dryer is gas although obviously it uses electricity to turn on and to rotate the drum.  Our electric bill is quite reasonable except for summer, but that's because of the air conditioning.

In our city we are "discouraged" from having clotheslines, although I don't think they're illegal.

It is presumed that back yards are living areas where people eat out on their decks and patios, etc. and otherwise entertain, so it's kind of considered a part of the house.  Some houses have fences, some don't, but I would not like having guests over for outside fun and have to look at a rusted car in my neighbors back yard.  Laundry?  Not sure I'd even notice!

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:27 PM »
Alaska here.  We have two seasons.  Winter and not winter.  Not winter is not particularly warm and it rains a lot.  Winter is freezing.  Except for last week when it was 50F.  Go figure. 

Anyway, we dry almost all of our stuff in the dryer.  Exceptions are bras, swim wear, and some waterproof outer clothing.

Ereine

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »
Several posts in this thread mention clothing being damaged by clothes dryers. How much of a problem is this, really? A lot of my clothes  are really old (10 years and more). They are always dried in the machine and they are not damaged. I always use the lowest reasonable setting and dry some things inside out (if the care label recommends it) and never have a problem. On the other hand, I did have clothes damaged by clothes pins and low flying birds (who'd been indulging in red berries) when I hung clothes outside.

Almost all of my clothes have labels that forbid dryers. It may be that they're just too careful but I'm not willing to take the risk to find out what would happen. I suspect the heat would make them less soft and probably increase pilling. I don't use much cotton so that may be the difference.

CakeEater

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2014, 05:33:28 AM »
My laundry is pretty close to my line, so not much effort to get there.

We've had dryers in holiday units, and the difficulty I've found with them is that I never know how long the load will take to dry. I guess that gets better with practice. But with the line, I can wash 4 or 5 loads, hang them out and forget about them until it gets dark and I bring the whole lot in.

With a dryer, I do a load in the machine, put them in the dryer, they're not done by the time I'm ready to put the next load in, so i let a wet load sit there while I wait, then I need to get that load out before the next one can go in. It's just a lot of in and out of the laundry juggling baskets.

123sandy

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »
It has depended on where I've lived. At home in Scotland everything went out on the line when the weather was good for drying. In winter time it was not unusual to have the radiators draped with clothes.

I've lived in five different places in America, never once had a washing line. Had to buy a washer/dryer or use the launderette.

Two places in Italy. We had lines on our balconies. In winter we washed at home and dried at the base launderette.

Three places in Germany. No washing lines. In summer we use a drying rack and in winter we use the tumble dryer.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
I wish I had done a load of sheets and a load of towels in the washer last night. I could have hung them on the clothes line this morning. Our area is having a brief break in the cold weather. It got up to 59degreesF today.

Up until and including Thursday this week it's been no higher than 29.

Vall

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
When I first went on my own and married XDH, we line-dried our clothes exclusively because we didn't have a dryer for four years.  We lived in the country so HOAs weren't an issue.  It was okay in nice weather but winter was horrible.  My hands would turn bright red and my knuckles would crack.  It isn't unusual for our temperatures to dip down to 0 F.  Our windchills occasionally reach -40F (this year we've hit around -25F so far).  Most often, the winter temps are in the teens which is still cold enough.  My hands would be freezing by the time I got back into the house!  As far as freeze dried clothing, they were like boards and we'd take them into the house and let them thaw before we could fold them.  Sometimes they thawed dry and other times they'd be damp.

I liked the country air smell of the clothes in the summer but only when the country air smelled good.  There are many smells in the country that are not-so-pleasant.  If I lived in the country again, I might hang out clothes in nice weather.  Especially bedding.  But the weather and our city yard is simply not convenient.

We use the dryer on everything except my bras.  It costs us about .50 in electricity for each load--we do about 4 loads a week.  So the dryer costs us about $100 a year.  That's about the same price as one date night for me and DH.  I don't giving that up for the convenience of dry, soft clothes in any weather.

MurPl1

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2014, 02:20:36 AM »
american living in israel here.

we have a portable line thing that we use inside the apartment or on the terrace, depending on the weather. (it's just me and DS). I also never understood why people consider laundry hanging outside a sign of poverty - to me it's just a sign that people live there. Many of the newer construction in israel (probably in the last 20 years or more) have the area sort of covered with slats (where air can circulate but he laundry isn't very visible) like this:

We do have a dryer but i haven't used it in about 8 years (not even sure it still works) - it's just too darned expensive to run. DS is in charge of the laundry - he sorts, washes, hangs - and he has a whole system of getting it all done on Friday and by Saturday afternoon it's usually all dry. (depending on the weather, he either puts ito on the balcony or in the Living Room near the radiator. )

I think you actually just explained why people associate line drying with poverty- the expense of using the dryer would presumably not be an issue to an affluent person.  Or even paying to own a dryer.   Which doesn't cover the aspect of why not line dry if you chose to.

Margo

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
I think there are also quite big differences in electricity costs in different countries - I think we in the UK pay more for power, so using a dryer would probably be more expensive.

Another factor may be that on average, I think our houses tend to be smaller, so the extra space of a dryer as well as a washer may be a consideration.  There is  no space in my kitchen for a dryer, so if I wanted one I'd have to get rid of my dishwasher.  I don't have a separate utility room.

I love the smell and feel of line-dried sheets - last weekend was the first time this spring it's been warm and dry enough for me to hang my sheets and duvet cover outside, and I was so happy when I put them on the bed and got to snuggle into that lovely clean feeling! My washing line runs over my lavender and rosemary bushes so there's a hint of those scents, too (although I get that a little anyway, as I have bags of dried lavender in my airing cupboard)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
Margo's post brings up another question.

Where is your washer?

Ours is in the utility closet on the third floor.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
Any house I've ever lived in has had a laundry room where the washer and dryer and a laundry sink are located.  My current laundry room is also the utility room because that's where the furnace and hot water heater are.  And the cats' food dishes and litter boxes - it's a big room so they are well separated.

All the laundry rooms have been located in the basement because that's where there is a floor drain in case of a mishap, as well as concrete floors that can't be damaged by water.  When I build my dream house, my laundry room will be on the main floor so I don't have to do stairs with full laundry baskets (and cats winding around my feet - great combination).  I'll make sure there is a floor drain and floor covering that is not affected by water.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Teenyweeny

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
In the UK:

Every residence I've ever even been in/seen online has the washer (and dryer, if present) in the kitchen, or in a utility room which is as near as possible to the kitchen. I've never seen a 'laundry room'. The closest thing would be a utility room, but that usually has all the laundry stuff, plus tools, dog food, garden implements, basically 'heavy duty' or dirty things that you don't want in the main house.

(Utility rooms also don't always have a sink, and the sink is usually a 'dirty sink', for cleaning things like BBQ grills, I've never seen a special sink for laundry. )

To be honest, I've always thought that Americans make a huge pulaver out of doing a bit of washing. It's always depicted as some massive undertaking, with the need for a special room and all these special steps. (Sorting, washing, opening the lid to add rinse stuff, drying, folding...)

Everybody I know (including people with several young children) just chucks the clothes in the washer, takes them out, dries them, and throws them in the ironing basket until they can be bothered to iron them and hang them up (or if you're me, you just put stuff away when it's dry, I don't iron stuff unless I need to be smart).

The concept of 'laundry day', or needing a 'laundry room' is just silly to me, now that you can chuck it in the washer (which takes two minutes), and hang it out to dry (which takes 5 minutes). Even if I had several kids, I'd struggle to spend more than 20 mins a day on laundry, especially as most kids clothes don't need ironing.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
You don't sort by fabric type?  You'd wash blue jeans with delicates (like bras)?  Sorting's not that big of a deal.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »
You don't sort by fabric type?  You'd wash blue jeans with delicates (like bras)?  Sorting's not that big of a deal.

Honestly, no. Never met anybody who does, either. I sort by colour if it's the first few times a particular item has been washed, but that's it.

Maybe it's a washing temperature thing? Most people I know wash their clothes at  around 40C (that's the standard, washing powders here boast about how cold you can wash clothes, and also about how you can mix colours). Newer washing machines wash as low as 30C. So, I'd never have the temperature high enough to damage anything.

I also noticed (when I lived abroad) that top loading washing machines are much harder on clothes (seriously, to the point of damaging the fabric over just a few washes), so maybe you have to be more careful because of that?