Author Topic: Do you line dry your laundry?  (Read 14078 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Do you line dry your laundry?
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
My husband wears nice button down shirts to work and I generally wear dresses.  I sort our laundry because I am not about to wash those with towels or jeans and have them torn up, dingy and covered in fuzz.  I generally do loads of work clothes, towels, jeans and work out stuff, and bedding.  I toss socks and undies in with the work clothes.  I wash pretty much everything cold and dry it all with my dryer.  A clothes line isn't practical here because of wind and dust.

My washer and dryer are in the kitchen at our current house but the house we are moving into has a very small entry area coming in from the garage that is a laundry/pantry and then leads into the kitchen.

I find the bolded interesting, and I think this must be the crux of the issue. I don't know how you could possibly tear clothes by washing them with other clothes. I think this must be a top loader vs front loader thing, because I've torn things in a top loader before, but I thought it was the machine's fault. Now I know it was my fault!

Fuzz might come off new things, but I'd never expect it to come off old (i.e. washed before) things, and IME it doesn't.

One or two of my cheaper things go dingy after a year or so, but then it's usually time for new stuff anyway (because the old ones were cheap and generally poorer quality). If I buy a bra for £8, I'm not gonna spend £XX (in my time, or in extra power/water/detergent) to launder it separately when it'll last about a year if I keep doing what I'm doing.

I don't think she means a literal tear. But if i wash a lightweight knit shirt with jeans it is more likely to pill.

My sorting is:
Towels and sheets together because I can dry them on hot.
Jeans, my workout clothes and my DHs and my kids underwear together because I dry them on med high.
Most other stuff together because I dry in low.
Then the items that I want to line dry are washed together.

I'll combine loads and just dry on lower setting if I don't have enough for a full load.

I don't worry about colors unless it is the first few times it will be washed.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »
Homes in Texas don't have basements, so generally the washer and dryer are in a laundry room. All of the homes I've visited had the laundry room off to the side of the kitchen, and many were a sort of combination mudroom/laundry room off the entrance from the garage. Having a sink in the laundry room was very unusual when I was growing up, but it seems it's becoming more common as my friends renovate houses.

Most Australian houses have a dedicated laundry room, with space for a washing machine and dryer. Some smaller houses/rooms may require the dryer to be wall mounted though. They also contain a sink (or 2), which is larger and deeper than a standard kitchen sink. Depending on size they could also contain a bench and/or cupboards. They are typically located on the back/side yard side of the house and open directly onto the yard within easy access of the clothesline.

Occasionally, there'll be houses where the washing machine will be located in the garage, with or without a sink or bench. Most houses here are single storey, or at least don't have an underground basement, so the laundry is located on ground level 99.99% of the time. In 2 storey houses the laundry will be located on the ground level.

There doesn't seem to be a 'standard' location for the laundry room within the actual house; it just seems to be wherever it will give the easiest access to the yard.  I did visit one display home though where the laundry was in the middle of the house, which would've required the wet laundry to be dragged through the carpeted lounge room and some other internal rooms in order to reach the clothesline that was located on the opposite side of the house.  ::)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
For delicates, I have underwear bags I just out stuff in. Works well for pantyhose too.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
I used to never sort my laundry at all, largely because I never use anything except cold water to wash clothes, until I realized that most of my clothes last longer (or at least, look nice without shrinking for longer) if I hang dry them.

Since my husband can't remember which of my clothes get tumble dried and which get hung up, he asked that we sort our laundry into two baskets (one for hang dry, one for tumble dry). It's definitely been useful for us, since you don't have to dig through a single clothes hamper to pull out the clothes you can wash in one way or another, or dig through a pile of wet laundry to pull out what can't be dried (inevitably missing something in the process).

Until recently, that was the extent of our sorting (which basically just means tossing our dirty clothes into the appropriate hamper as we take them off). We always washed sheets and towels separately, in part because they are a load all by themselves, and in part because the towels produce massive quantities of lint always.

I also didn't used to own any white clothing that was meant to be actually seen until a few months ago. My white dress shirt has gotten noticeably dingy, even though I've never actually stained it, just because it gets washed with colored clothing. I broke down and bought some hydrogen peroxide bleach and soaked it and some other whites for just a few hours over the weekend, and it's already noticeably brighter. Because of that, we're going to start washing whites separately so that we can keep them white. Most of what we own that is white will just be filler for that one white dress shirt (since socks and undershirts and washclothes don't really need to be bright white), but it's become necessary.

Given that I now have all this overnight soaking to do, though, I'd really appreciate having a laundry sink to do it in. Too bad I just have a closet in my bathroom with my washer/dryer and clothes hampers. :P

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »
For delicates, I have underwear bags I just out stuff in. Works well for pantyhose too.

Me too.  :)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »
I used to never sort my laundry at all, largely because I never use anything except cold water to wash clothes, until I realized that most of my clothes last longer (or at least, look nice without shrinking for longer) if I hang dry them.

Since my husband can't remember which of my clothes get tumble dried and which get hung up, he asked that we sort our laundry into two baskets (one for hang dry, one for tumble dry). It's definitely been useful for us, since you don't have to dig through a single clothes hamper to pull out the clothes you can wash in one way or another, or dig through a pile of wet laundry to pull out what can't be dried (inevitably missing something in the process).

Until recently, that was the extent of our sorting (which basically just means tossing our dirty clothes into the appropriate hamper as we take them off). We always washed sheets and towels separately, in part because they are a load all by themselves, and in part because the towels produce massive quantities of lint always.

I also didn't used to own any white clothing that was meant to be actually seen until a few months ago. My white dress shirt has gotten noticeably dingy, even though I've never actually stained it, just because it gets washed with colored clothing. I broke down and bought some hydrogen peroxide bleach and soaked it and some other whites for just a few hours over the weekend, and it's already noticeably brighter. Because of that, we're going to start washing whites separately so that we can keep them white. Most of what we own that is white will just be filler for that one white dress shirt (since socks and undershirts and washclothes don't really need to be bright white), but it's become necessary.

Given that I now have all this overnight soaking to do, though, I'd really appreciate having a laundry sink to do it in. Too bad I just have a closet in my bathroom with my washer/dryer and clothes hampers. :P

Does your washer have a soak or prewash mode?  That's what I use to soak my whites if needed. 

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:54 AM »
No, it's a front loading one that doesn't appear to have anything like that. I did try a "rinse and hold" setting once, but it basically just does the wash cycle with no spinning until I tell it to. The clothes are still wet at that point, but I don't think it would do anything useful for soaking.

I instead go the low-tech route of using a bucket in my shower. It just limits how much I can soak at one time, and is a bit of a pain.

I'm kind of hoping that if I can just get that one white shirt back to bright white, washing it only with other whites and using the Clorox 2 at least often (if not with every wash) will help all the whites stay that way without my having to exert too much effort.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2014, 04:57:18 AM »
No, it's a front loading one that doesn't appear to have anything like that. I did try a "rinse and hold" setting once, but it basically just does the wash cycle with no spinning until I tell it to. The clothes are still wet at that point, but I don't think it would do anything useful for soaking.

I instead go the low-tech route of using a bucket in my shower. It just limits how much I can soak at one time, and is a bit of a pain.

I'm kind of hoping that if I can just get that one white shirt back to bright white, washing it only with other whites and using the Clorox 2 at least often (if not with every wash) will help all the whites stay that way without my having to exert too much effort.

My aunt has a front loader and that's what she uses to soak.  She pushes the knob back in or if it is a small load she will open the door slightly and let the clothes sit overnight. 

*She doesn't open the door if the water is above the level of the bottom of the door

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2014, 06:59:46 AM »
One reason I sort, which I learned in a textiles class years ago and which made a huge light bulb go on over my head, is that nylon in particular soaks up dye colors from the wash water. So if you wash your white nylon bra with your jeans, over the course of many months, you will end up with a bluish-gray bra eventually even if your jeans aren't bleeding enough to damage anything else.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
I can stop or pause the wash cycle in my washing machine, but I'm not sure there's ever enough water in the drum to actually allow clothing to soak. Plus, I'm not sure when in the cycle the detergent gets added (since that's where I'd need to put the Clorox 2), so I wouldn't know exactly when to stop the cycle. It's just easier, in the end, to soak things in a bucket because I can more easily control all the factors.

turtleIScream

« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I wish we could have an outdoor clothesline! I live in Michigan, so the weather is not very conducive to line drying 7 months out of the year. But, even on nice days, we live in an area that it just would not work well. Our house is on a corner lot, so the backyard abuts street traffic that kicks up dirt and dust. Plus, we have less than 1/4 acre, and have 8 trees in the back, 2 of which are honey locust trees. So we have itty bitty leaves that randomly fall and stick to everything, virtually no sunlight, and lots of squirrels and birds. I think I would have to rewash all my laundry after drying it outside!

We've talked about getting indoor drying racks, but have no idea where they could be practically set up. We don't have a lot of good airflow through the house, and it can get really humid. Maybe someday I will build my dream house with a drying porch or something off the laundry room.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
Instead of an indoor drying rack, you could install a closet rod really high where the washer is.  I have one that I almost have to get on tiptoes to put the clothes on.  I take the clothes out of the washer, put them on the hanger, and hang them on the rod.  When our dryer died, I even used pants hangers for stuff like my child's blanket. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2014, 12:08:56 PM »
North Texas here: pretty dry most of the time, although there are some muggy, humid days.

On days when we line-dry, we put wet towels in the dryer for just a few minutes to tumble out the stiffness and wrinkles, then hang them out.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
I hang up my clothes on hangers and then put them on the shower rod. I do try not to weigh it down too much (mostly because of the PITA factor should it ever fall), but things like shirts typically take less than 24 hours to dry that way if I keep a few inches of airflow space between each one. I live in a pretty humid area (PNW) and have no windows or really any airflow in my bathroom.

I'd love a place to hang up my clothes that didn't require moving them to shower, but it works well enough for now if we plan when we do our laundry a little bit strategically.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #194 on: May 03, 2014, 04:49:58 AM »
I would love to hang dry our clothes, but our HOA specifically forbids line drying and my allergies wouldn't be able to handle all the pollen and dust getting caught up in the linens.  Even if those weren't issues we still wouldn't be able to because we don't get any sunlight in our backyard due to large pine trees that drop sap and pine needles everywhere.  I like the idea of line drying though.