Author Topic: Work Gifts  (Read 1826 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Work Gifts
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:26 AM »
You know what? If it's something you'd kinda like, just say, "Hey, boss, Company Bozo sent champagne to the office--do you mind if I take it home?"

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
You know what? If it's something you'd kinda like, just say, "Hey, boss, Company Bozo sent champagne to the office--do you mind if I take it home?"

I like that.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
I guess I still don't really get the nephew thing. It seems important to you because you keep mentioning it. But the champagne went to your co-worker (Boss's sister). Full stop. (Unless I'm missing something.)

If they hadn't kept gabbing about it, you wouldn't have known the champagne's fate (going to her son, Boss's nephew). But it went through your co-worker first. You received the champagne and appeared to pass on it; then Boss passed on it; then Co-worker accepted it. She could have taken it home and drunk it herself, poured it down the toilet, used it for cooking, given it to someone else as a hostess gift, served it at a dinner party, sold it on eBay. It was hers to do with as she pleased. If you had a company policy that said it had to be kept at work and drunk only by employees, then she would have been breaking policy by taking it home herself. But the boss agreed that she could take it home for personal use, so whatever happens to it after that shouldn't, IMO, really factor in.

I guess I don't know what else you expected to happen to the champagne--Co-worker had a "use" for it, she just wasn't going to drink it herself. If you really wanted it for yourself, I think you should have been more clear about that when you brought it to Boss. He must have assumed/presumed that you didn't want it; otherwise he wouldn't have rendered his own judgment on it, or brought Co-worker into it. Or he understood clearly that you wanted it and is just a jerk, but that seems an unkind presumption on my part. :)
~Lynn2000

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
I guess I still don't really get the nephew thing. It seems important to you because you keep mentioning it. But the champagne went to your co-worker (Boss's sister). Full stop. (Unless I'm missing something.)

If they hadn't kept gabbing about it, you wouldn't have known the champagne's fate (going to her son, Boss's nephew). But it went through your co-worker first. You received the champagne and appeared to pass on it; then Boss passed on it; then Co-worker accepted it. She could have taken it home and drunk it herself, poured it down the toilet, used it for cooking, given it to someone else as a hostess gift, served it at a dinner party, sold it on eBay. It was hers to do with as she pleased. If you had a company policy that said it had to be kept at work and drunk only by employees, then she would have been breaking policy by taking it home herself. But the boss agreed that she could take it home for personal use, so whatever happens to it after that shouldn't, IMO, really factor in.

I guess I don't know what else you expected to happen to the champagne--Co-worker had a "use" for it, she just wasn't going to drink it herself. If you really wanted it for yourself, I think you should have been more clear about that when you brought it to Boss. He must have assumed/presumed that you didn't want it; otherwise he wouldn't have rendered his own judgment on it, or brought Co-worker into it. Or he understood clearly that you wanted it and is just a jerk, but that seems an unkind presumption on my part. :)

I do see your point. But I guess the way the conversation went makes me view it slightly different. Co-worker declined the bottle and then said, "Hey, you know who would like that? Nephew. He posted that kind on his FaceBook page, so he is into that expensive kind." I do admit, that my personal opinion of nephew is coloring this situation. I might be slightly more thrilled if he was a hard working guy who deserved a pat on the back. But I am also not really stewing over the end results (only answering questions here.)

And I don't really know what else I expected either. I guess I am not a fan of the blurred family/business lines, but that's the territory of working for a smaller business sometimes. And if boss thought I didn't want it (very possible) and he didn't want it and co-worker sister didn't want it... I suppose this looked like the best option. But again, I am just trying to prepare myself if this should happen again. It seems that there are some standard ways that companies do handle these things so I want to nudge boss that way.   ;)