Author Topic: Wedding pictures and social media...  (Read 6806 times)

nolechica

• Super Hero!
Re: Wedding pictures and social media...
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 05:08:22 AM »
This thread makes me so glad my sister is setting up an Instagram account for her wedding.  Yes I asked a while back what we were doing about candids, as I have multiple social media accounts.  I don't post pix to Facebook often though, mostly places with usernames, not real names.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
Personally I don't like people posting pictures of me/my family/animals/property at all without my permission.

Me too.  Especially if they tag them (include names and other personal information).

Same here. I hate this trend of putting everything out there online for the world to see.  I wish it would stop.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »
I have never had anyone say to not post pictures of any event, and I have not heard of it anywhere buy here on ehell.

Ditto. Before reading ehell, this would have never occurred to me.

But now you do know that there are people who feel this way.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
I think that, as with most things in life, we tend to gravitate toward people who are "like" us.  I am in the camp of several other posters who find it atypical and strange to not want photos on social media.  It doesn't make us right and the opposing view wrong....but it does mean we are not likely to run in the same social circles.

Like I said, I am not really the sort who would post a photo without me or my daughter in it on social media so I wouldn't be posting a photo of the cake, or just the bride and groom, or something along those lines.  I might post a photo of my DD dancing with the bride in her wedding dress.  If the bride asked that no photos be taken or posted from her wedding (this has never happened in my experience) I would comply, but I would find it odd.

Secret Squirrel

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »
I also feel that pictures of the actual ceremony are not "my" pictures to post, nor are pictures of the cake, etc.  Me and my friends on the dance floor having fun (maybe the bride is in the group or in the background) - why not post?  I have not posted anything from the wedding, nor have I seen anything on FB from anyone except one professional picture of the happy couple. 

My personal rule is that pictures of things are okay to post as long as they are appropriate (such as I would never post a picture of someone that is intoxicated, children, etc).  I don't post much, but if someone takes a group picture at a party, it usually ends up on social media (and sometimes, someone will say "Nice picture, Ill post it to Twitter!"). 

I hate to go so far as "everyone in the picture must okay the picture before posting" only because, what about people in the background.  I take a picture of me in NYC - there are many people around me and, inadvertently, in the shot.  Do I go up to them and ask if I can post the picture?  This instance is different than a party because I am in a public place where you do not have the expectation of privacy. 

Should someone not like a picture of them for what ever reason, I would happily take it down immediately. 

I'm glad to read both sides of this issue, there are some great points made! 

emwithme

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
I got married in September 2012.  DH and I discussed the whole "photos on facebook" thing before we sent out the invitations - we were discussing mainly whether to put anything about photography in our "info sheet" (had directions to venue/parking/how to find local hotels/meal choices etc).  We decided that we didn't really mind photos going up on FB before our professional photos came back, and actually the day after the wedding I used one photo (that had been taken by my "nephew" on my phone - his mum was in charge of my handbag during the ceremony and checked to see that I'd turned my phone off - I hadn't  ::) but she popped it into airplane mode and B took photos) as my profile pic. 

There were so many lovely photos taken by our guests that I wouldn't have had the chance to see if they didn't share them on FB. 

My only issue before putting photos on was to get permission from the parents of any children (we had about ten children aged between 1 and 10) at the wedding before I put them up.  I sent them a quick email saying that we had some photos, including of their kids, and how did they want me to handle it - I could either not post them at all, post them without tagging, or tag the "relevant adults".

All of them chose the latter option, and I had some lovely comments from grandparents etc (some of whom I knew from when I was younger) about how their family looked.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »
If I were family of the groom I might ask him if I could post a photo of him, I certainly would not ask the bride.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
I have never had anyone say to not post pictures of any event, and I have not heard of it anywhere buy here on ehell.

Yes. and?
(I don't quite see what your point is)

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »

Yes. and?
(I don't quite see what your point is)

Oh, just if you were accustomed to all your acquaintances being okay with pictures of themselves and their business being posted online, and it never occurred to you that someone might feel differently, now you can be aware that there are people who don't like it.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
This thread makes me so glad my sister is setting up an Instagram account for her wedding.

Partner says she wants to do this, I think I can get behind it. Honestly....I don't want my friends bugging me about if they can or can't put photos they took of my wedding on line. I really just don't care, post away. If I really hate a picture, I'll untag myself, or if it's a really good friend I might ask if they'd mind taking it down (if it's just me). But there are a lot of pictures out there of me being very drunk and very embarrassing (I really enjoyed my early 20s). A bad pic of me in my wedding dress is still not going to be as bad as some of those.

We're thinking of asking no photos of the ceremony be posted until post-ceremony, mostly because it's a special moment and I'd like people to be focusing on whats happening, not on if they got the picture right, we're hiring people to worry about that. But heck the cocktail hour? Picture post to your hearts content.

I'm little bothered, in the OP, by the fact that the groom's mom had to seek out the bride for permission to post a picture of her son. Why wasn't the groom asked? The photo is of him, taken by his mom, he should know if he wants it to go up or not.

I have known of one bride who freaked out when BFF (who was in her wedding) posted a picture of herself, day of the wedding, getting ready at home. She was in her PJs with curlers in her hair and her hubby snapped a pic and thought she looked cute and put it up saying something about "BFF getting pretty for wedding", something along those lines. Bride saw it, called BFF and told her to remove it or she was out of the wedding. BFF took it down and has cooled the friendship because seriously chill out.

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
I attended two destination weddings as a member of the wedding party (which were by their nature very small), and had photos I had taken on both on my phone and camera. Obviously other people knew that the weddings were happening and I was bombarded with requests for photos on social media. I didn't feel comfortable with posting pictures until the bride and groom had ok'd it in both cases - one wedding, the couple wanted to be able to see the pictures better than on a phone screen/camera lcd before releasing them to the world, so those ones waited until we got home and the couple were able to choose and upload the ones they wanted. the second wedding neither the bride or groom is on social media, but asked me to upload one picture and to let everyone know the deed was done as it were!

In both cases though, all of the pictures included the bride and groom - because there was only about 8 of us in total anyway, so there weren't the shots of people other than the couple. That probably makes a difference. I still think I'd ask before sharing photos online though. I just think I would feel a bit uncomfortable not asking first.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
I can not imagine asking a man for permission to post pictures of his wife; I would ask her directly. In this case I would go to the groom to get his preferences.

Wintergreen

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »
Personally I do think that it is bit rude to post pictures about other people to internet/social media without their permission. I know that technically the copyrights and ownership of the picture are with the taker and that allows her/him to do as s/he pleases with it. However, I do think that it should be the decision of persons in the picture whether they want their picture be publicly available for every internet using person in the world. Because security settings in internet services don't mean a thing. Even if the system or service is not hackable or malicious, people may be (or most likely they are just oblivious). It is not really possible to prevent someone just taking the picture and distributing it around.

And what internet might do with your picture, it is not pretty. So that's why I do think it is not proper to anyone else make the decision. If you want to take risk ending on pages like "she is the reason some men never marry" (just saw like this today) or having your head shopped on a ... ahem compromising image and sent to your boss, then that is up to you. It does not happen to everybody, but everybody needs to understand that it might happen to them.

So with that in mind, I think it's fine to post picture about you in a wedding, but the pictures either should not have other people in them or you need to have permission before posting.

Wintergreen

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:02 AM »
I have to return to this subject as this came up in discussion with friends. This is a quote from Facebook terms of usage:
"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

This means that Facebook can for example sell the pictures you post in Facebook to third party. Now, for this I know that law may vary around the world, but around here, there is precedent that if you post a picture of your friend to Facebook and Facebook sells that, and your friend gets annoyed finding his/her face on the bus stop advertising something or another, you are the guilty one in the case. Reason is that you have knowingly posted a picture with purpose to sell (as the terms of usage states that all posted pictures can be sold) and on the other hand, when someone is identifiable/recognizable in a picture, you need permission to sell/use/publish that picture even if the copyright of that picture is yours.

So if the person in picture is after compensation for having his/her face somewhere s/he did not give permit, Facebook is not the one paying but you are. I think Instagram at one point had this same in their terms of usage, but it might (or might not) be removed.