Author Topic: Confronted handicapped parking abuse  (Read 11565 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Confronted handicapped parking abuse
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Question: what if you know the person and know that the handicap person that the tag is for it not in the car or anywhere nearby...that the person is at home?  One person I know will use the handicap space when taking her son to karate.  The dad is the one that the tag is for..not her or her son...would I be right saying anything in this type of circumstances?
It may depend where you live, but where I am I would report it to the government agency that handles disabled permits, because that is fraud. If it was a friend I'd probably have a quiet word with them though.

We had to report a mom for the same thing. Disabled daughter was assigned the tag, but mom would use it when daughter wasn't around, for convenience sake. She ended up forcing between two legally parked cars at the school and was ticketed for disabled placard fraud.

perpetua

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »

As it happens, you can't always tell by looking at my FIL that he has Parkinson's.  Some days are better than others and a lot of his pain is a side effect of the medication he takes to control it.  Now, as much as it would pain him to hear it, you can tell by looking at him that he is elderly.  What surprises me though is that in this thread and others like it in the past on e-hell, invisible disabilities are emphasized as a reason not to confront individuals over their handicapped parking use.  So to understand, the position of some people is that it is okay to confront people who don't "look disabled" provided they don't have the tag in their vehicle?

Where I live, if you are not displaying your blue badge you are using the space inappropriately, because you are *not* allowed to use it if you don't display your badge while parked there. The 'but he might have an invisible disability' does not come into it. Great, if you've got an invisible disability, park your car, display your badge, and everyone's good. Actually, whether you are disabled or not doesn't actually come into it. You're not allowed to park there without displaying your badge, end of story.

Right, but this thread is about whether or not to confront people who are parked there, not the legalities of parking there.  I'm anti-confrontation for the reasons I've already illustrated.

I do get where you're coming from, I really do!  And I'm not an anti-confrontation person in all situations.  I'll speak up if someone cuts in front of me in line!  But I'm just not cozy with the idea of confronting someone in this situation.

Yes, I know what you're saying, however, what I'm saying is that due to the way the scheme works in my part of the world, if you're parked there incorrectly then you're not above being confronted. It's all tied in.

ETA: I'm wording this quite badly, I think. Pretty much everyone who has a blue badge knows how the scheme works, ie, that you must display your badge at all times while parked in a disabled space. So, here, if you're not displaying a badge and you hop out of the car and run to the cashpoint, odds are you haven't got a badge in the first place, not that you're someone with an invisible disability who mustn't be confronted, is what I'm trying to say. Not displaying a badge is more likely to mean you don't have one than 'this person has an invisible disability'.

Plus, as Margo and various other people have said, confronting people (politely) just isn't seen as rude here in the same way it seems to be in the States.

this is only enforcable in council run car parks,  supermarket carparks are not regulated in the same way so you do not need a badge to park in the disabled spots. 

Every single supermarket in my area states that the disabled spaces are for blue badge holders only and that the badge must be displayed and that people not displaying a badge will be fined. A quick recce round t'interwebs shows that Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco have all introduced fining in at least some of their stores.

(in the same way parking "fines" in the uk aren't enforcable unless in a council carpark)

Parking fines aren't enforceable unless in a council run car park? So, if I parked on double yellows and got a parking ticket from a traffic warden, it couldn't be enforced? I find that difficult to believe - do you have a source for that? (and I say this as someone who's got several parking tickets, forgot to pay them, and then had to deal with bailiffs, so yes, they can be enforced, very much so.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »
In my state, Florida, we have special citizen patrols as part of the police or sheriff department. The only things they do is ticket people for improper use of a disabled parking space. It has made quite a difference over the past five years.

nayberry

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:54 PM »

As it happens, you can't always tell by looking at my FIL that he has Parkinson's.  Some days are better than others and a lot of his pain is a side effect of the medication he takes to control it.  Now, as much as it would pain him to hear it, you can tell by looking at him that he is elderly.  What surprises me though is that in this thread and others like it in the past on e-hell, invisible disabilities are emphasized as a reason not to confront individuals over their handicapped parking use.  So to understand, the position of some people is that it is okay to confront people who don't "look disabled" provided they don't have the tag in their vehicle?

Where I live, if you are not displaying your blue badge you are using the space inappropriately, because you are *not* allowed to use it if you don't display your badge while parked there. The 'but he might have an invisible disability' does not come into it. Great, if you've got an invisible disability, park your car, display your badge, and everyone's good. Actually, whether you are disabled or not doesn't actually come into it. You're not allowed to park there without displaying your badge, end of story.

Right, but this thread is about whether or not to confront people who are parked there, not the legalities of parking there.  I'm anti-confrontation for the reasons I've already illustrated.

I do get where you're coming from, I really do!  And I'm not an anti-confrontation person in all situations.  I'll speak up if someone cuts in front of me in line!  But I'm just not cozy with the idea of confronting someone in this situation.

Yes, I know what you're saying, however, what I'm saying is that due to the way the scheme works in my part of the world, if you're parked there incorrectly then you're not above being confronted. It's all tied in.

ETA: I'm wording this quite badly, I think. Pretty much everyone who has a blue badge knows how the scheme works, ie, that you must display your badge at all times while parked in a disabled space. So, here, if you're not displaying a badge and you hop out of the car and run to the cashpoint, odds are you haven't got a badge in the first place, not that you're someone with an invisible disability who mustn't be confronted, is what I'm trying to say. Not displaying a badge is more likely to mean you don't have one than 'this person has an invisible disability'.

Plus, as Margo and various other people have said, confronting people (politely) just isn't seen as rude here in the same way it seems to be in the States.

this is only enforcable in council run car parks,  supermarket carparks are not regulated in the same way so you do not need a badge to park in the disabled spots. 

Every single supermarket in my area states that the disabled spaces are for blue badge holders only and that the badge must be displayed and that people not displaying a badge will be fined. A quick recce round t'interwebs shows that Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco have all introduced fining in at least some of their stores.

(in the same way parking "fines" in the uk aren't enforcable unless in a council carpark)

Parking fines aren't enforceable unless in a council run car park? So, if I parked on double yellows and got a parking ticket from a traffic warden, it couldn't be enforced? I find that difficult to believe - do you have a source for that? (and I say this as someone who's got several parking tickets, forgot to pay them, and then had to deal with bailiffs, so yes, they can be enforced, very much so.)

The supermarkets can say what they like, many people have been threatened with "fines" but as the law does not cover the spaces there in the same way as it does council run car parks, then all they can do is send an invoice and it can be filed in the bin. It's in the same way that they can threaten to charge you if you park over a certain length of time, they would have to prove loss of income in court from your parking there, and if you were in the store shopping they'd have a hard time doing so.

Re second point, I was talking about car parks not double yellows.  For dY's you do need the bb or be loading afaik.

If you want info, I can't do links yet off iPad but look up pepipoo, they have all the info, also mse and piston heads.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
In my state, Florida, we have special citizen patrols as part of the police or sheriff department. The only things they do is ticket people for improper use of a disabled parking space. It has made quite a difference over the past five years.

Plus, I bet they almost pay for the costs with the revenue raised. It certainly is a sensible thing to do.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »
In the U.S., it's fairly standard for privately owned parking areas to have signs that say things like "parking only for customers of PDQ Inc. Violators will be towed at owner's expense." Even if the UK government doesn't enforce the disabled parking rules in private lots, I suspect Tesco or Sainsbury's or whoever could post a sign in their lot that said something like "Handicapped spaces are only for holders of blue badges. Badges must be displayed. Violators will be towed."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
Some of you just have to discuss the legalities, despite knowing better, hence the thread gets locked.

Before we say goodbye, I found this amusing. I don't know if they still do this, but occasionally the city of Chicago would offer amnesty, 50% off the price of unpaid parking tickets, the only exception were handicapped parking violators. They didn't get a break.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.