Author Topic: Goodbye party vs. celiac disease (updates #16, #20, #44, #51)  (Read 7783 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Goodbye party vs. celiac disease (updates #16, #20, #44)
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »
I wouldn't bother explaining via email to the whole group.

And speaking as a celiac sprue person, let me share my perspective on "keeping quiet":  I am so incredibly grateful to all the people who have walked this path before me.

Because of them, almost every single restaurant I've gone into here in NYC has had a gluten-free option--even if it's not on the menu, the servers are aware and alert, and I feel I'm getting credible info. (And though I never have discernible symptoms to tip me off to accidental exposure, my last test was clean, so...)

Therefore, I'm a bit of an evangelist. I figure, if the non-celiac people around me hear about my diagnosis, they'll be that much more alert to the needs of the -next- celiac person they encounter. And they'll be more likely to be the ones who say, "Oh, rats, let's find a different restaurant."

So while I don't think you need to run around blabbing your medical info all over the office, I think especially now, you can say, to anyone around you, or so the few officemates who might actually care that you aren't staying, "I can't stay, because the restaurant has zero gluten-free options, and they aren't even willing to work with me. It's not just a fad diet, I have celiac and I'll get really sick if I eat it, so since I'm basically sitting here watching you eat, I'm going to peel out. It's been fun working with you. Bye!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »
So while I don't think you need to run around blabbing your medical info all over the office, I think especially now, you can say, to anyone around you, or so the few officemates who might actually care that you aren't staying, "I can't stay, because the restaurant has zero gluten-free options, and they aren't even willing to work with me. It's not just a fad diet, I have celiac and I'll get really sick if I eat it, so since I'm basically sitting here watching you eat, I'm going to peel out. It's been fun working with you. Bye!"

I agree; have your drink, sit down with the folks as they order and peel out when the food starts arriving.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mergatroyd

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
I agree that an office wide email is not required,  you're leaving this job. However, it will help you in your journey if you get used to 'fessing up as soon as something non-GF is offered to you. A simple, "Aw that looks so good! I have celiacs though, I can't eat it. Thank you for offering!"  Usually works. If the person knows about celiacs, then they won't quiz further, and if they don't know, then you can educate them!

Eeep!

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
I agree that an office wide email is not required,  you're leaving this job. However, it will help you in your journey if you get used to 'fessing up as soon as something non-GF is offered to you. A simple, "Aw that looks so good! I have celiacs though, I can't eat it. Thank you for offering!"  Usually works. If the person knows about celiacs, then they won't quiz further, and if they don't know, then you can educate them!

I agree with this. I have a wheat allergy, which isn't as brutal as celiacs, but it makes me basically gluten free.  If I'm offered something that I can't eat I often just say "oh boo! I have a wheat allergy so I can't eat that - but it looks great".  Sometimes people will ask a questions - because A LOT of people don't equate wheat with flour.  They think of it in relations to "wheat bread".   As long as I am matter of fact about the issue, I really haven't encountered any weird responses.  And now most people I hang out with are aware of my allergy, which makes things a lot easier. 
Note: if I'm somewhere where food is just being passed around, or there is a buffet or something, I don't typically say anything. I am meaning when someone directly offers me something.

And I know for a fact I wouldn't be being shy about responding that I can't really eat pub food if anyone asked.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »
I don't think it would be wrong to send an email stating you will only be there for a little while for drinks. Something like this maybe?

Due to some serious allergy issues right now, my dr. has advised me to only eat food I make myself. I won't be able to eat dinner at pub for fear of cross contamination. Sorry if I miss some of you *tonight*, but I want everyone to know it has been a pleasure to work with all of you.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
Any update?

Amaya

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »
A non-update, really!

The party's come and gone and I did have a good time. It started late, though-for some reason, the organizer was half an hour late rounding everyone up and we didn't even arrive at the pub until almost 5. Once we got there, she started encouraging everyone to order entrees immediately, but nobody really did. A few people ordered appetizers for themselves, which I'd expected. Meanwhile, the organizer kept insisting that "you really could have snuck food in, I'm sure they would never have noticed" (um, we were sitting on barstools at a high table) and "you're really going to have to learn to bend the rules once in a while" (nope, not an option). I took Outdoor Girl's advice and left just as the entrees did start coming out, about an hour into the party. A couple of coworkers left at the same time as me, which effectively took care of any awkwardness.

So aside from some continued cluelessness on the part of the main organizer, it really was a nice ending and a lovely sendoff! Thanks all for your help!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
A non-update, really!

The party's come and gone and I did have a good time. It started late, though-for some reason, the organizer was half an hour late rounding everyone up and we didn't even arrive at the pub until almost 5. Once we got there, she started encouraging everyone to order entrees immediately, but nobody really did. A few people ordered appetizers for themselves, which I'd expected. Meanwhile, the organizer kept insisting that "you really could have snuck food in, I'm sure they would never have noticed" (um, we were sitting on barstools at a high table) and "you're really going to have to learn to bend the rules once in a while" (nope, not an option). I took Outdoor Girl's advice and left just as the entrees did start coming out, about an hour into the party. A couple of coworkers left at the same time as me, which effectively took care of any awkwardness.

So aside from some continued cluelessness on the part of the main organizer, it really was a nice ending and a lovely sendoff! Thanks all for your help!

She wouldn't have a clue if it jumped up and beat her over the head.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Goodbye party vs. celiac disease (updates #16, #20, #44, #51)
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the update- glad that it all worked out well

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools