Author Topic: S/O Parking abuse  (Read 3368 times)

Redneck Gravy

S/O Parking abuse
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
I am taking an evening class at the local community college.  I have a parking permit to park in the white lined spaces - for students.  Yellow lined spaces are for instructors/administration staff.

My class is a newly built building with parking on both sides of the building.  On the east side the parking is significantly farther from the building than that on the west side.  The west side parking lot is yellow lined spaces only - for instructors/administration.  There is no administration in this building and the parking lot is not closer to any other buildings so I'm not sure what the thinking was on this layout.   

There are several of us parking on the west side in the yellow lined spaces because on our one night there are few classes taught and there are only three cars in the parking lot that have yellow lined permits.  As far as I can tell there is no parking security after 5:30 pm at the college.

One of our Classmates D said, "you know you aren't supposed to park over there, right?"  We all agreed that we aren't but Classmate A said - they aren't using it anyway and there are plenty of vacant spaces.  I said I agreed and that there were only two classes in this building on Thursday evenings anyway so they really aren't utilizing the parking lot - how big a problem could this be?  Classmate C said she wasn't really in good health and this was the closest parking for her. 

Classmate B said we should call and ask if it's okay.  I said go ahead but I like the theory of asking for forgiveness rather than permission at this point.  So no one is doing anything and we are continuing to park on the west side lot.   Last night there were three instructors cars and about five of us in my evening class parked there.  Leaving about 40-60 open spaces.  Quite honestly I think both of the night classes and instructors could park there and still not fill it up.

I am the first to say the law is the law and the law applies to everyone...however, I think the issue with the parking situation is based upon daytime activity.  And Thursday nights there are very few classes on the campus, again only two in this building.     

What say you eHellions? 

Mikayla

Re: S/O Parking abuse
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
"I am the first to say the law is the law and the law applies to everyone...however, I think the issue with the parking situation is based upon daytime activity.  And Thursday nights there are very few classes on the campus, again only two in this building. "

Honestly, under the circumstances, I wouldn't give this a second thought.  But if it bothers you or others, could someone suggest to admin that the signs be written so they're only applicable during daylight hours?   This could be causing problems beyond inconvenience, and if it's really that empty every evening it's not a good use of resources.

GreenHall

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
On the campus I work on, the 'protected' spaces for Faculty/Staff are not policed after 5pm.  Heck they raise the entry gate to my lot at 5 and students in the apartment behind the lot use it overnight. 

Edited to add:
I just looked at my university's transportation page, and right there it says that, unless otherwise marked, M-F after 4:30, and weekends, students can park in employee spaces.  (The M-F column clears up that 7:30 would be the end of overnight parking)

Might be worth a quick google of your schools name and parking to see if its that easy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:30:55 PM by GreenHall »

RubyCat

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
I'd probably call to be sure but I tend to be cautious like that. At one community college I attended, I ended up getting ticketed one evening for parking too long in a "short term" space. I hadn't seen the sign. My greatest fear is getting towed and stranded.

Another community college I attended, you could park on the street after 5:00 or 6:00 but if you parked in their tiny little lot without a valid sticker, they would ticket or tow.

Amara

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Security is around the clock at my campus, though after 10:00 it is minimal. From 5:00-10:00 the level of security depends on what time in the semester it is (the earlier the heavier it is). Park in a stall that is reserved for staff or college vehicles the fine was $30. It might be higher now. If you get a ticket and don't pay it you do not get your grades nor a transcript.

I always smile when I see parking permits for sale by students trying to recoup their costs. What they don't think about is that the numbered permit is registered to their car, and if the new buyer gets one (or more) tickets it goes against the permit holder's account. You need transcripts a couple of years from now? Guess who gets to pay for those tickets. And no amount of arguing will change that.

m2kbug

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »
It's reserved parking, I think it's best to follow the rules.  I'm not sure about fines or getting towed in this situation.  It doesn't really sound like a big deal to use the yellow area after hours like this.  Not when there are a million available spots open.  But, if a permit is required, there may be a ticket involved.  I would call the college and ask about this.  I would like to use closer parking at night if I could. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:07:04 PM by m2kbug »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
I'm w/ you, I'd assume that administrator-reserved parking was restricted only in normal working hours. Or, perhaps, if there were a special event.

I wouldn't give this another thought. Any administrator or faculty member who shows up is going to have tons of spaces to choose from.

And, nobody has written you a ticket yet, right? Which is probably an indicator that they don't really care. Because otherwise, you'd be low-hanging fruit for "raising revenue through parking enforcement."

I wouldn't even bother asking.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »
After 5pm at work, we are allowed to park in the row reserved for guests, but that's a rule already written out; no guessing/assuming.  So while I do think there are different rules for after hours, it doesn't hurt to ask for confirmation, even if just asking your teacher.

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
I think that as long as you accept the possibility of consequences (i.e. getting a parking ticket/tow/boot), then go ahead and keep doing what you're doing.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »
I've never heard of towing there but I did get ticketed a couple of years ago for parking in a yellow lined space.

I argued that you couldn't tell if it was white or yellow and we split the $10 fine and shortly thereafter that lot was clearly painted.

I agree about the tickets & transcripts...you pay now or you pay later!  I filed an intent to graduate so I don't want anything holding that up. 

magician5

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »
I'd say that the information about "nobody uses the yellow spaces in the evening" means you aren't truly inconveniencing anyone, but if you choose to park there and get fined, you should pay the fine without complaint.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

strawbabies

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
I think you should contact security and ask.  At the university where my husband works, they're very strict during the daytime of who can park where.  He's the staff advisor for one of the student clubs that meets in the dorms in the evenings, so sometimes has to attend their meetings.  There's no employee parking at the dorms, so he asked security where to park.  They said they don't care after 5:00.  Anybody with a university ID can park anywhere.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Actually, there might be something on the website or in the student handbook. If you dug it up, it might relieve the minds of the other people in the class.

SoCalVal

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
I think that as long as you accept the possibility of consequences (i.e. getting a parking ticket/tow/boot), then go ahead and keep doing what you're doing.

This is where I stand because, frankly, I learned a few years ago that the faculty spaces near my classroom weren't being policed and there were plenty available during my nighttime class so I parked there rather than in student parking across campus (and dangerous to be walking through when I'd be heading for home).  I'd done this at another school also, when my class took place on Saturdays, and, again, late at night).  I realize I was risking getting a ticket, but I figured I'd do it until someone gave me a ticket (yes, entitled of me, I know, but I didn't want to spend more time trying to park my car then getting to/from my car than actually sitting in the classroom).

johelenc1

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »
I think what you do depends on how willing you are to pay the price for parking where you aren't supposed to.  If you aren't supposed to be there you will either get fined or towed.  If you are ok with either of those outcomes, then keep parking where you want.

Personally, I would call and check.  It's entirely possible that the parking rules only apply between certain hours.  If your class if after hours, it's possible you are ok.