Author Topic: S/O Parking abuse  (Read 3311 times)

sweetonsno

Re: S/O Parking abuse
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 11:10:26 PM »
I'd say that the information about "nobody uses the yellow spaces in the evening" means you aren't truly inconveniencing anyone, but if you choose to park there and get fined, you should pay the fine without complaint.

This. I wouldn't object to you parking there. However, because you are knowingly breaking a rule, I think you are tacitly agreeing to accept any consequences of doing so.

Possum

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 02:18:12 AM »
I would check into it, to be safe, but personally, I don't have a problem with it if it's after hours, and you're only 10% of the lot.  Even if it's prohibited, you can explain the situation to the campus parking enforcement, noting that the east lot is further out, and your class ends after dark--a safety issue.  They may be willing to grant your entire class an exception on that basis.

SoCalVal

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
At every college I've attended, they make it very clear that a parking permit is required at all times when parking on campus and, for students, we were only to park in student parking.  However, with that said, I learned when having a parking permit wasn't enforced (like the first week or two of the semester to give students a chance to obtain their permits, weekends and, often, at night for faculty parking).  There have never been "official" exceptions, only the unspoken, unofficial ones.  Only at my work have I known there to be official exceptions to the posted "permits required at all times" parking (employees are allowed to park in the $99/month parking structure 9pm-7am if they have the $40/month parking permit because the parking shuttles don't run during those hours to the $40/month parking lots -- this information isn't posted anywhere but the parking employees will tell us this if asked).

ChinaShepherdess

• “Never bet your money on another man's game.”
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
I'd say that the information about "nobody uses the yellow spaces in the evening" means you aren't truly inconveniencing anyone, but if you choose to park there and get fined, you should pay the fine without complaint.

I agree with this advice, and also those posters who have recommended you double-check any signage in the parking lot as well as the website/student handbook to see whether the lot reverts to free use after a certain time and/or on certain days. Does the etiquette issue here have to do with Classmate D approaching you about the parking? It's hard to tell tone from text, but that interaction sounded aboveboard -- a one-time heads-up to make sure you knew you were possibly at risk for a ticket.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »
Definitely double-check, since it doesn't say "Faculty parking only, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m." or the like. There's a park near me which is posted as maximum 3 hours parking for park visitors during the day, free parking after (IIRC) 6 p.m. Which I think is because the nearby mall closes at 9, so the 3 hour max would give shoppers as much time as they'd want. Absent the "free parking after" part, I would advise visitors not to leave cars there for any long period.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

AnnaJ

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »
Most college websites have parking info, so you wouldn't have to actually ask - I understand the better forgiveness than permission idea - but I agree with others that if you're willing to accept (possible) consequences in exchange for the spot, it's a reasonable trade.