Author Topic: Wearing an old BM dress to a wedding  (Read 4112 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Wearing an old BM dress to a wedding
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
Well, the other obviously-a-bridesmaid-dress dress was deep red/maroon. So I don't think it's the pastel. It's the solid color.And the "I'm part of a color palette" color--the unusualness of it. And the fabric--few dresses in the "evening wear" section of department stores, etc., are that safe satin/taffeta material.

I like the jeweled belt idea, but  you have a separate bodice, actually, right? Or a bodice that's made to look separate? And a tie in the back? You could snip the tie and add a belt, even over a bodice,

Basically find some way to add pattern, color, embellishments that will look more like a true evening dress. Maybe look at some department-store websites, or similar, at their eveningware, and see what makes those dress not look "bridesmaid-y," and then see if you can figure out how to add that to this dress.

gellchom

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
I don't understand why it would be a problem even if people knew it was originally a bridesmaid dress.  Seems like a sensible use, to wear it to any long-gown event, even a wedding.  I suppose as long as you know it doesn't resemble the bridesmaid dresses at this wedding!

My daughter-in-law asked my daughter if she could wear the bridesmaid dress from her own wedding (the one worn by her identical twin, who was her MOH) to my daughter's upcoming wedding.  She said, "You spend all this time selecting a dress you love, and you never get to wear it!"  My daughter (who also wore that dress as a bridesmaid at that wedding) said sure -- she is having everyone wear whatever color and style they want, she just asked please long dresses.  I think that in the end DIL has selected a new dress, but it sounded like a good idea to me, too.  (I think it would have been fun to have the pictures from the two weddings to have that sort of little visual segue, too.)

But if for some reason it would bother you if it was identifiable as having been worn as a bridesmaid dress, you could easily do as others have suggested and add accessories that would not be worn by a bridesmaid.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »
As long as it isn't the dress that the bridesmaids are wearing, I think it's totally fine. The length would be an issue but that's  not a bridesmaid thing. It's just because I haven't seen anyone wearing long dresses in satin at formal events.  I was just at an event and every women had a knee length dress, except one who had a longer dress in a very flowy material.

drnic

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »
I actually did this.  The year I got married - I was in two weddings, attended two I wasn't part of and had my own.  I took one of the bridesmaid dresses I wore, had it hemmed to just below my knee and wore it to another wedding.  I think the key is taking it from floor length to something shorter - like a cocktail dress.  But the dress needs to be the right style, the one I used was an A-line with a fuller skirt, so it worked in the shorter length.

metallicafan

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »
OP, did you end up wearing the dress again?

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
OP here. I haven't had a formal occasion to wear the dress to yet.

The next wedding that I will be attending is in two weeks, so that would be my next opportunity. But while I have lost some weight, I don't think I've lost enough for it to zip comfortably so I probably won't be wearing it to that wedding either.

metallicafan

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
In that case I have a few suggestions.   :)

Wear sleek silvery pumps instead of sandals.
sleek silver clutch
Wear one standout accessory,  such as a cocktail ring.  No matching sets.
Wear your hair loose and natural.  No updos.
A pretty shrug in grey to wear over the dress.
Have the dress shortened.
All the bridesmaids I've seen wear matching jewelry sets, updos, and matching satin or sandals.
 So, do the exact opposite.   :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:52:52 PM by metallicafan »

gellchom

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »
Metallicafan, I really like that post. You have good ideas.

metallicafan

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Metallicafan, I really like that post. You have good ideas.

Thank you so much!
I think I may have been a stylist in another life  ;D

Alicia

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
Brides always say you are going to rewear it and it is wonderful if you do. I've only reworn one bridesmaid dress and that was actually one of the most ugly ones but another friend said any apple davids bridal dress and since i already had one in that color i was not getting another.
Most bridesmaids dresses do not fit all that well or look all that good as they are very generic cuts. But if you like it and feel lovely go for it.

gellchom

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »
Brides always say you are going to rewear it and it is wonderful if you do. I've only reworn one bridesmaid dress and that was actually one of the most ugly ones but another friend said any apple davids bridal dress and since i already had one in that color i was not getting another.
Most bridesmaids dresses do not fit all that well or look all that good as they are very generic cuts. But if you like it and feel lovely go for it.

Another reason to choose a regular dress, rather than A Bridesmaid Dress, for attendants.  They are usually better quality, more interesting design, and often much less expensive, too.

At my wedding 32 years ago, the attendants all wore the same dress, but it was just a regular pretty summer dress I found at a department store, not something from a bridal shop.  My daughter is getting married this summer, and she just told the girls to choose anything they wanted, any color, as long as it's long.  Both of those approaches help make it more likely that they will be able to wear the dresses again. 

But metallicafan's ideas seem like they would make a good outfit even out of the most traditional bridesmaid dress (minus any butt bow!).

jmarvellous

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
I almost wore an old bridesmaid dress to work today. It's been 3 years, almost, and I've never worn it, even though it's a knee-length Dress Barn dress that was probably meant for office wear. It just doesn't feel right (and aqua blue shiny satin isn't exactly "my color").

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
I remember reading somewhere- maybe it was Dear Abby?- about a bride who picked navy blue sheath dresses with white trim in a daytime fabric. Everyone wore short white gloves, pillbox hats and navy pumps. Each of the girls told the bride later that she had since worn the dress on  dates/to work events/to church. I thought that was a brilliant idea. If I ever get married, I will keep it in mind- of course, I want a wedding dress I can wear again too!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
I've found simple sheath dresses in a knee length to be extremely versatile.