Wedding Bliss and Blues > Attire

Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!

(1/20) > >>

Lady Snowdon:
Starting a spin off thread from the discussion going on in the Special Snowflake thread. 

I had my wedding dress made for me because I hated the strapless whitewhite dresses that were in style.  A strapless pure white dress would have made me resemble a marshmallow that somehow grew feet and arms.  I spent probably 1/7th of our wedding budget (probably about $1500) on the dress because it was important to me that I feel good wearing it!  Looking back, it seems a little crazed, but it was one of my few crazy moments, so I think my parents (who were paying) were wiling to go with the crazy on just the one aspect.

It ended up being a beautiful blue silk A-line dress, sleeveless, with a white lace overdress.  When I tried it all on for the first time, my reaction was, "to heck with women wanting to be princesses!  I feel like a queen - strong and powerful!".  I loved that dress!

violinp:

--- Quote from: Lady Snowdon on January 25, 2014, 10:06:24 PM ---Starting a spin off thread from the discussion going on in the Special Snowflake thread. 

I had my wedding dress made for me because I hated the strapless whitewhite dresses that were in style.  A strapless pure white dress would have made me resemble a marshmallow that somehow grew feet and arms.  I spent probably 1/7th of our wedding budget (probably about $1500) on the dress because it was important to me that I feel good wearing it!  Looking back, it seems a little crazed, but it was one of my few crazy moments, so I think my parents (who were paying) were wiling to go with the crazy on just the one aspect.

It ended up being a beautiful blue silk A-line dress, sleeveless, with a white lace overdress.  When I tried it all on for the first time, my reaction was, "to heck with women wanting to be princesses!  I feel like a queen - strong and powerful!".  I loved that dress!

--- End quote ---

That sounds beautiful!

Sophia:
I too would have looked like a marshmellow with feet and arms (vivid description). 
I can sew, so I made mine.  It was actually inspired by the cover art on an Orson Scott Card book.  Part of the homecoming series.  The bodice was a naval blue, corset style.  I had pattern making software, so the opening in the back was parallel.  Some sheer fabric with embroidered swirls and flowers were my sleeves and an overlay to the bodice.  The skirt was a very full silk chiffon. 
It was beautiful except, Did you know chiffon stretches when you hang it?  I didn't.  When I tried it on the night before the wedding it had grown 2 inches.  Cousin ended up hemming it the night before, because I just couldn't handle it.  Was still a little long at the wedding.  The waist of the skirt was safety pinned to my bra. 

Bluenomi:
I love my dress it was $2000 6 years ago which is about average around here. I didn't feel bad though, DH spent more than that getting a kilt and all the bits. Just don't work it out in cost per wear because then he's ahead  ;D

My sister just ordered hers and my mum was saying it was a lot at $2300. She was aghast when I pointed out it wasn't bad actually.

jedikaiti:
I wanted to order an inexpensive one from a website I found, but Mom was afraid it would look cheap (as in cheaply made). Since it was her dime... So I ordered one that was quite nice, in ivory (I don't look like a marshmallow in white, I look *dead*), and it at least had wide shoulder straps, even if I wanted sleeves. At least I was wearing a shawl once Dad walked me down the aisle. And, on the plus side, it had a corset back (which I hadn't known I wanted until I tried it on), and since when I first tried it on it was in my size and I was the first to try it on, I got to buy it off the rack, and didn't have to wait for it to be ordered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version