Wedding Bliss and Blues > Attire

Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!

<< < (20/20)

Sirius:
I sewed my own wedding dress because I figured I'd never find a dress in my size (US 24) on the rack, appropriate for a 39-yo bride, at a price I could afford.  I made it out of white satin, and the sleeves were lace.  The yoke was lace underlined with satin.  The whole thing cost me $60 for fabric, and I already had the pattern.  I made my own veil and all the bouquets, and I told Mr. Sirius that if I ever have it to do again I'm eloping, because that was so much work.  He wore a black suit, a black silk shirt, and a white bow tie.

Delta:
Is "on the cheap" *and* "non-bridal" acceptable here? Hubby and I got married outside, on 12-12-2012 at the Robert Frost farm. Since temps were in the low 30's, we bundled up - my Mom had bought me the coat I wore, and I loved it. No dress for me, just a blouse and slacks. I felt every inch a "bride" despite my unorthodox attire!

jedikaiti:
Awesome!

ladyknight1:
Clothes are clothes. It's your heart and your partner's that make you married.  ;)

gmatoy:
I got married in the 70's when dresses had sleeves. Every single person who has ever seen my wedding picture has oohed and aahed over it. It came with a veil which was edged with lace that matched my dress. The veil was longer than the train of my dress.

It was the first dress I tried on and it was perfect! Including the fit. I didn't know that you couldn't just buy the dress off the rack. So I tried to buy it and got  told that you can't just buy it. It must be ordered. I explained that I was in the Army and on leave. I had to buy it so I could take it back to my duty station. The clerk kept telling me that it couldn't be done. So I asked if I could speak to the manager. I explained my situation and she okayed the sale. Cue tears of sheer joy!!

The fit was perfect except that I'm short and the dress needed to be hemmed. Even that was no big deal as only the front panel had to be hemmed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version