Author Topic: Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!  (Read 13017 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
Starting a spin off thread from the discussion going on in the Special Snowflake thread. 

I had my wedding dress made for me because I hated the strapless whitewhite dresses that were in style.  A strapless pure white dress would have made me resemble a marshmallow that somehow grew feet and arms.  I spent probably 1/7th of our wedding budget (probably about $1500) on the dress because it was important to me that I feel good wearing it!  Looking back, it seems a little crazed, but it was one of my few crazy moments, so I think my parents (who were paying) were wiling to go with the crazy on just the one aspect.

It ended up being a beautiful blue silk A-line dress, sleeveless, with a white lace overdress.  When I tried it all on for the first time, my reaction was, "to heck with women wanting to be princesses!  I feel like a queen - strong and powerful!".  I loved that dress!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Starting a spin off thread from the discussion going on in the Special Snowflake thread. 

I had my wedding dress made for me because I hated the strapless whitewhite dresses that were in style.  A strapless pure white dress would have made me resemble a marshmallow that somehow grew feet and arms.  I spent probably 1/7th of our wedding budget (probably about $1500) on the dress because it was important to me that I feel good wearing it!  Looking back, it seems a little crazed, but it was one of my few crazy moments, so I think my parents (who were paying) were wiling to go with the crazy on just the one aspect.

It ended up being a beautiful blue silk A-line dress, sleeveless, with a white lace overdress.  When I tried it all on for the first time, my reaction was, "to heck with women wanting to be princesses!  I feel like a queen - strong and powerful!".  I loved that dress!

That sounds beautiful!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:53:38 PM »
I too would have looked like a marshmellow with feet and arms (vivid description). 
I can sew, so I made mine.  It was actually inspired by the cover art on an Orson Scott Card book.  Part of the homecoming series.  The bodice was a naval blue, corset style.  I had pattern making software, so the opening in the back was parallel.  Some sheer fabric with embroidered swirls and flowers were my sleeves and an overlay to the bodice.  The skirt was a very full silk chiffon. 
It was beautiful except, Did you know chiffon stretches when you hang it?  I didn't.  When I tried it on the night before the wedding it had grown 2 inches.  Cousin ended up hemming it the night before, because I just couldn't handle it.  Was still a little long at the wedding.  The waist of the skirt was safety pinned to my bra. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:33 AM »
I love my dress it was $2000 6 years ago which is about average around here. I didn't feel bad though, DH spent more than that getting a kilt and all the bits. Just don't work it out in cost per wear because then he's ahead  ;D

My sister just ordered hers and my mum was saying it was a lot at $2300. She was aghast when I pointed out it wasn't bad actually.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:53:56 AM »
I wanted to order an inexpensive one from a website I found, but Mom was afraid it would look cheap (as in cheaply made). Since it was her dime... So I ordered one that was quite nice, in ivory (I don't look like a marshmallow in white, I look *dead*), and it at least had wide shoulder straps, even if I wanted sleeves. At least I was wearing a shawl once Dad walked me down the aisle. And, on the plus side, it had a corset back (which I hadn't known I wanted until I tried it on), and since when I first tried it on it was in my size and I was the first to try it on, I got to buy it off the rack, and didn't have to wait for it to be ordered.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
I had passed a sari shop once when I was 16 or so, and decided then and there that I would get married in a dress like that.
My mother and MIL have taken me to several wedding shops and had me try on at least 50 dresses, all of which made me miserable. But after 4 days of that torture, they were finally willing to come with me (to the less safe parts of a large city nearby) and look at a sari.

I ended up buying a (very) white sari with silver embroidering. It is still the most fabulous thing I have ever seen and it costed us about 10% of the amount my DH spent on his suit. I believe I was done for 300 euro's, jewellery included.

Kaymar

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:01:39 AM »

Your dress sounds so pretty!  A couple of my friends had theirs made and I think if you know what you want, that's the way to go.  I ended up finding mine in a store that sells samples so it was half of its retail cost - it is in the guest room closet right now awaiting the time when I take it for alterations and then wear it!  Still have to figure out shoes... hmm...

Browyn

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »
I wanted to order an inexpensive one from a website I found, but Mom was afraid it would look cheap (as in cheaply made). Since it was her dime... So I ordered one that was quite nice, in ivory (I don't look like a marshmallow in white, I look *dead*), and it at least had wide shoulder straps, even if I wanted sleeves. At least I was wearing a shawl once Dad walked me down the aisle. And, on the plus side, it had a corset back (which I hadn't known I wanted until I tried it on), and since when I first tried it on it was in my size and I was the first to try it on, I got to buy it off the rack, and didn't have to wait for it to be ordered.

My dress was fairly traditional but it was ivory*.  My Mother pitched a fit "what will I say to people when they ask!"  ::) I told her to remind them I was a very pale redhead who looked like death warmed over in true white.  Honestly, I was 37 - no one cared what color my dress was.

(Alfred Angelo, Around $500 plus alterations 12 years ago.)

NestHolder

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »
I rented my dress.  Long sleeves, high neckline, lovely A-line shape which extended backwards quite a bit.  I didn't see the point of owning a dress I'd only wear the once, and I couldn't have afforded to buy it anyway.  I did buy the veil, which was wonderfully long enough to be a train!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »
This was mine. You can't really see the detail in it, but it was not a pure white dress either (I also look washed out in pure white) but a pretty silver. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Savvy_Annie/Weddingday-1.jpg
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

XRogue

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »
I had my first one made, as I am five feet tall. It was a copy of Queen Victoria's. :) Altho alas, I had to use machine made lace and not bobbin lace. ;)

Second wedding gown, a blue and white sublimation print I bought at Cato's, a-line.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
Mine wasn't officially a wedding dress. DH and I picked it out and bought together from a small store. It was a top and calf length skirt. I picked up the ribbon and wore matching blue ballet flats.  I think the whole outfit cost $50. The funny thing is I'm not a ruffle or lace person, but I loved this.

DH unknowingly coordinated his clothes.

The back view. This was 1982, so it was actually conservative  ;D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:09:35 PM by Library Dragon »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jmarvellous

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 04:30:38 PM »
Mine was $78 on Zappos.com last year. My mom hemmed it a tad (the models must be much taller than my 5'5" plus 3" heels!), but otherwise, it fit great.

It was an ivory version of this dress, and it seems to be sold in different colors this year (last year, turquoise, black, purple, and ivory, this year: black, navy, blush and coral), and I got it in an end-of-season sale: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-embellished-tiered-chiffon-halter-gown/3581790?siteId=J84DHJLQkR4-A_10tlBrkpHANcqnoUP02w

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
I got married in Las Vegas so I certainly didn't want a poufy, expensive dress dragging on the sidewalk there.  I also despise strapless wedding dresses.  I found the perfect one on the Le Chateau website - about $285 including tax & shipping - it fit perfectly and my co-worker was kind enough to hem it up for me.  It was long with a halter neck that tied in the back, and the halter part had big blings on it - perfect for Vegas!  As soon as I got home I donated it to a program that gives prom dresses to those who can't afford them.  The only drag was that the material was so cheap it pilled on the chest where my arm rubbed it all day carrying my bouquet.  I couldn't believe it, ONE wearing and the dress was ruined. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »

My dress was fairly traditional but it was ivory*.  My Mother pitched a fit "what will I say to people when they ask!"  ::) I told her to remind them I was a very pale redhead who looked like death warmed over in true white.  Honestly, I was 37 - no one cared what color my dress was.

Now I have visions of people holding Pantone cards to the bridal gown, trying to determine her purity. "Hey, it's 'whisper white' - is that a real white or what?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."