Author Topic: Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!  (Read 14488 times)

LtPowers

Re: Wedding dresses ... the cheap and the not-so-cheap!
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
Okay, just read that article. So the author has no problem taking (for free) a design that someone else spent days and hours drawing, tweaking, adjusting, searching for materials, making mockups, probably changing some material because it wouldn't fall properly when actually made, sourcing wholesale materials, contracting a fabricator, paying for models and a photo shoot, and paying for advertisement.  Yet a trip to Bangkok for a getaway and a sweatshop knockoff is completely A-Okay.  Sooooo, if you want it, pay for it.  If it's too much or you don't want to pay that much, don't steal.

Fashion designs are not, in general, copyrightable.  There may be some jurisdictions where they are, but it's not the norm, AFAIK.  Thus, knock-offs are not "stealing"; they're not even fraud unless there's an attempt to pass them off as the real thing.

Powers  &8^]

alkira6

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Okay, just read that article. So the author has no problem taking (for free) a design that someone else spent days and hours drawing, tweaking, adjusting, searching for materials, making mockups, probably changing some material because it wouldn't fall properly when actually made, sourcing wholesale materials, contracting a fabricator, paying for models and a photo shoot, and paying for advertisement.  Yet a trip to Bangkok for a getaway and a sweatshop knockoff is completely A-Okay.  Sooooo, if you want it, pay for it.  If it's too much or you don't want to pay that much, don't steal.

Fashion designs are not, in general, copyrightable.  There may be some jurisdictions where they are, but it's not the norm, AFAIK.  Thus, knock-offs are not "stealing"; they're not even fraud unless there's an attempt to pass them off as the real thing.

Powers  &8^]

It just rubbed me the wrong way for her to say that the people who make the dresses are "conspiring to rob her" by making a profit on their hard work yet she has no problem robbing them of the fruits of their labor.  Too much of a me, me, me, screw you vibe going on.

**also posted as someone who has had SS demand (yes, demand) recipes and or/patterns for items that I have created myself while the product was for sale right there in front of them.  So I'm supposed to give away my hard work or make no profit, or even more insulting make below minimum wage for my items because you don't want to pay for my hard work?  No.

Legally right does not always translate into fair.

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
Fiancee and I haven't set a date yet, but we have a vague notion of getting married on Boston Common in the spring. Not even for me will she put on a dress  ;D, but we've agreed this is my dress (in blue): http://holyclothing.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/5570/s/bella-peasant-maiden-satin-lace-up-corset-a-line-dress-gown/

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
I have several of their dresses and one in divine blue.  :D

GleefullyMacabre

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
My dress is the last thing I'll be buying, and entirely based on what's left of the budget. But I'm DESPERATELY hoping to get something from Modcloth, complete with poofy crinoline.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »
I sewed my own wedding dress because I figured I'd never find a dress in my size (US 24) on the rack, appropriate for a 39-yo bride, at a price I could afford.  I made it out of white satin, and the sleeves were lace.  The yoke was lace underlined with satin.  The whole thing cost me $60 for fabric, and I already had the pattern.  I made my own veil and all the bouquets, and I told Mr. Sirius that if I ever have it to do again I'm eloping, because that was so much work.  He wore a black suit, a black silk shirt, and a white bow tie.

Delta

« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »
Is "on the cheap" *and* "non-bridal" acceptable here? Hubby and I got married outside, on 12-12-2012 at the Robert Frost farm. Since temps were in the low 30's, we bundled up - my Mom had bought me the coat I wore, and I loved it. No dress for me, just a blouse and slacks. I felt every inch a "bride" despite my unorthodox attire!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
Awesome!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
Clothes are clothes. It's your heart and your partner's that make you married.  ;)

gmatoy

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2014, 01:47:41 AM »
I got married in the 70's when dresses had sleeves. Every single person who has ever seen my wedding picture has oohed and aahed over it. It came with a veil which was edged with lace that matched my dress. The veil was longer than the train of my dress.

It was the first dress I tried on and it was perfect! Including the fit. I didn't know that you couldn't just buy the dress off the rack. So I tried to buy it and got  told that you can't just buy it. It must be ordered. I explained that I was in the Army and on leave. I had to buy it so I could take it back to my duty station. The clerk kept telling me that it couldn't be done. So I asked if I could speak to the manager. I explained my situation and she okayed the sale. Cue tears of sheer joy!!

The fit was perfect except that I'm short and the dress needed to be hemmed. Even that was no big deal as only the front panel had to be hemmed.