News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 06, 2015, 06:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did you do with your wedding dress after the wedding?  (Read 6606 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: What did you do with your wedding dress after the wedding?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:31 AM »
I heard about this happening at a wedding recently, and had never heard of it before, so I thought I would throw it out there as an idea for people.

One young bride asked the mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers for their wedding dresses, and then displayed them outside the reception, along with their wedding photos. I was pretty impressed that there were enough of these relatives 1) still alive who 2) had kept their wedding dresses accessible and 3) were willing to lend them out! But apparently there were four or fives dresses in all and it made a very nice display. For one woman who had eloped, she gave them her old suitcase and they put that out instead.

I've no idea how much trouble this might have been to set up--finding the dresses, cleaning them, etc.. Perhaps a less ambitious person could do just the wedding photos, though--that would be neat, to have large versions of family wedding photos as decor.
~Lynn2000

menley

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
I heard about this happening at a wedding recently, and had never heard of it before, so I thought I would throw it out there as an idea for people.

One young bride asked the mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers for their wedding dresses, and then displayed them outside the reception, along with their wedding photos. I was pretty impressed that there were enough of these relatives 1) still alive who 2) had kept their wedding dresses accessible and 3) were willing to lend them out! But apparently there were four or fives dresses in all and it made a very nice display. For one woman who had eloped, she gave them her old suitcase and they put that out instead.

I've no idea how much trouble this might have been to set up--finding the dresses, cleaning them, etc.. Perhaps a less ambitious person could do just the wedding photos, though--that would be neat, to have large versions of family wedding photos as decor.

Regarding the bolded, we do this a lot in our circle. Most weddings I attend have a table at the reception (often the table that has the guestbook) with framed photos of the parents, grandparents, brothers/sisters/etc. from their wedding days. It's one of my favorite parts of the reception, I love looking at the wedding clothes and flowers throughout the ages!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »

Regarding the bolded, we do this a lot in our circle. Most weddings I attend have a table at the reception (often the table that has the guestbook) with framed photos of the parents, grandparents, brothers/sisters/etc. from their wedding days. It's one of my favorite parts of the reception, I love looking at the wedding clothes and flowers throughout the ages!

My bro and SIL had pictures of both parents cutting their wedding cake on the cake table, which I thought was awesome. :)  The dress thing could be neat, although personally I get a little creeped out by clothes being displayed without anyone in them. Even a mannequin is better than the ones that are just the forms.

Sakuko

• The black Kitten
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »
I ordered a custom-tailored, black and purple Victorian style dress for my wedding. BF and I have been going to a conventions dressed in Steampunk/Victorian outfits a lot, and the wedding dress is specifically designed in a way that allows me to mix and match it around, add my own elements, so I will be able to wear it to cons for a long time. There are at least a dozen parts to it. ;D