Author Topic: Bridesmaid's Dresses You Loved.  (Read 5663 times)

Marozia

Re: Bridesmaid's Dresses You Loved.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 03:32:39 AM »
WOW!!  I love the sound of that copper jersey dress.  I bet the look was fabulous!
BTW.  Love the pics of the other dresses too.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »
I've been a bridesmaid twice and a flower girl twice and I actually loved all three dresses. I say three cause I wore the flowergirl dress twice, just had it altered since I grew between one wedding and another. It wasn't till I was an adult that I learned that my flower girl dress was Irish lace and the dress had been ordered from Ireland, which made me love it even more!

When I was thirteen I was a bridesmaid in the wedding of my godmother's wedding (also my mother's youngest sister) and I loved the dress as it was an off the shoulder deep purple dress.  I never was able to wear it for anything else but I did enjoy wearing it. The haircut I had to wear with it, however...

I hated that haircut!  People tell me now "Oh you looked so cute!" But even now I look at it and cringe cause it really wasn't me.  My mother had talked me into it about 8 months earlier and I resisted but then gave in.  Then my aunt announced she was engaged and Pirate, would you be my bridesmaid? My mom wouldn't let me grow it out till after the wedding.

And here's the flower girl dress.  I don't remember how old I was there.  The first time I wore it I was 6 or seven, the second time maybe 9?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Vall

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
Yup, I love that hair cut.  And that's my favorite shade of purple.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
Looking back I have to admit it was not a bad haircut but it really was not me at all and it did take quite a bit of convincing just to get me to agree to have it done. I was told it would be less maintenance and boy was that a lie.   Considering my previous style was long and straight, I could just brush it back into a ponytail in less than five minutes and no product.  This I had to spend about 10 minutes at least in front of a mirror every morning with a round brush and lots of product to get it to behave.

I think my mother probably helped me with the hair that day since it does look nice.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jmarvellous

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
We didn't have a wedding party, but I'm a big fan of how our families, the closest thing to a wedding party we had, took our plea to "wear whatever you want" and asked us, "What are your wedding colors?" and then chose to coordinate with my altogether vague scheme.
Aside from one young man who shall remain nameless but at least wore pants (ahem, my brother), it worked well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30436058@N04/12685254214/ (husband's family)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30436058@N04/12685258624/ (my immediate family)

Everybody but the aforementioned brother (and me, with the wedding dress) seems to wear their newly purchased 'wedding outfits' regularly, too!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 04:29:06 AM »

The last wedding I was in was in August of last year. There were four bridesmaids who are all friends, and the bride said to get a brown dress that we liked. There was a bit of confusion over the formality of the dress - we are a bunch of hippies - but in the end it worked out great.
I love my dress. It's an Anne Taylor detachable strap dress that looked good and made me feel pretty and comfortable. I ordered it online for less than $100 US
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Texas Mom

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
I had one 30+ years ago that was wonderful.  It was black & similar in style to the one Pippa Middleton wore, only tea length.  I wore it for the wedding & then wore it until it feel apart - it was so versatile!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 03:51:15 AM »
We didn't have a wedding party, but I'm a big fan of how our families, the closest thing to a wedding party we had, took our plea to "wear whatever you want" and asked us, "What are your wedding colors?" and then chose to coordinate with my altogether vague scheme.
Aside from one young man who shall remain nameless but at least wore pants (ahem, my brother), it worked well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30436058@N04/12685254214/ (husband's family)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30436058@N04/12685258624/ (my immediate family)

Everybody but the aforementioned brother (and me, with the wedding dress) seems to wear their newly purchased 'wedding outfits' regularly, too!
never mind the wedding "party" - your dress is amazing!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Alias

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
I was happy to let my bridesmaids pick dresses when I got married.  I gave instructions that amounted to 'pick dresses the same colour (a jewel tone, not black or white or pastel) and the same length please.'  They both picked a dress much like this one, in chocolate brown.  I figured if they never wear it again, it's not my fault!!  If I'd chosen it probably would have been long, strapless and a purply red. But I'm glad that they picked it and liked it, especially since one was short and fat, the other tall and hippy.
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_V-Neck-Cotton-Sateen-Dress-F15450_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Short-Bridesmaid-Dresses

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
I'm pretty much in love with my dress for my friend's wedding tomorrow.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/after-dinner-speech-dress

I'm sure I'll find a chance to wear it again. Partner is standing up for the other groom. This is her dress: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/soiree-stunner-dress, I like it too (and we are the same size so I will be wearing it eventually :)).

It all looks really good together, the guys on my side are wearing black jackets and pants with teal (I think) shirts and black ties and the guys on Partner's side are wearing black jackets and pants with black shirts and teal ties. The grooms went classic, black suits, white shirts, and black ties. Very dashing.

I hope our girls like their dresses. We have three girls total between us, but only two are wearing dresses so we decided they can pick their own. The only guidelines are purple and knee length. Honestly the idea of having to pick bridesmaids dresses left me overwhelmed so I just threw my hands and said "I don't care, just wear clothes". They guys are picking their own too and so far their ideas are pretty good.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
The dresses you and your partner are wearing for your friends' Wedding today are wonderful!  They're feminine without being fussy and very elegant. 

The Wedding is sure to be beautiful.

Best wishes to you two and to your friends. 

Cherry91

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
I was bridesmaid for my Mum's best friend a few years back. She insisted on paying for my dress.

It was a very 50s style halterneck gown with a cinched waist and a petticoat to make the most of the big skirt. She decided to go for it in gold (originally we'd agreed on red) and I wasn't sure, but it turned out to look fabulous. We stuck with the 50s theme for it with a curled updo and pearls. I adored it, and still have it, although I've yet to encounter an event dressy enough for it.

lowspark

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
Great dresses Glitter! How did the wedding go? Any pictures to share?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Great dresses Glitter! How did the wedding go? Any pictures to share?

Wedding was great, lots of fun. I lack any pictures, I'll have to keep an eye out and see if any pop up on Facebook.

I'm hoping to find one photo of the groomspeople (as we were called) and grooms all at a frozen yogurt shop in our finery because the grooms both wanted frozen yogurt and somehow that meant we all had to go get frozen yogurt before the wedding. The photographer came with us, because I believe he also wanted frozen yogurt.

And yes Thipu, I agree they were feminine without being fussy. I believe I said one of the grooms "Lets aim for elegantly simple" at some point in the planning and they ran with the idea. I was mostly saying it when we were talking crazy high end I saw it on a reality show ideas that were just too over the top for real life.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
I didn't have bridesmaids. But when my cousin got married his bride wore a polka dot green dress and her bridesmaids were in a light brown version. Pretty a Woman had just come out and the dresses looked like the dress Julia Roberts wore to the polo match. They were lovely.

When I was a bridesmaid I got to pick my own black dress*.

* just as well it was black actually because my daughter was 4 months old and I was away all day long. By the end my breast were engorged and I was leaking like a sieve. If I had been wearing another colour it might have been quite embarrassing.

Victoria