Author Topic: Guest attire  (Read 2809 times)

kajunchick

Guest attire
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
Hi, my brother is getting married in March, and I'm looking for ideas on what to wear. They are having vintage/rustic afternoon wedding. (His fiance is wearing her mom's long, flowy dress from the 70's, with a few alterations.) They are in their early twenties, and I am ten years older.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am short and on the heavy side.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Guest attire
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
What is the weather likely to be?
NE England

kajunchick

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »
We are in South Louisiana, so it should be pretty mild, but with this week's weather, you never know! We actually had snow on Friday.

The ceremony will be outside, and the reception will be inside. I really like the first and third dress you linked to. I never shop at Macy's, but I can see that I should. My DD got her homecoming dress there this year, and it was really cute.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
The theme of the wedding is the responsibility of the couple and their attendants, not of the guests. Not even the sister of the groom .

So wear a nice dress, one suitable for day, maybe a little bit fancier. As in, a dress versus separates, that sort of "fancier."

You won't need to wear something sleek or shiny, since it's not evening and it's not a formal afternoon event.

I vote the B&W floral SL Fashions one, not the lace one. And the bold-print sheath would be OK if you personally like it.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
Ooh, I love the third one jmarvellous linked to!  It's adorable!

LadyL

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
I have to giggle at the popularity of nonspecific "vintage" dress codes (as someone who collects antiques and wears vintage daily).Vintage technically refers to the entirety of human history pre-1980 or so. Vintage rustic could easily be Little House on the Prairie style dresses  >:D.

Our wedding had an optional Old Hollywood dress theme because we married in a 20s movie theater. We specified on our website that the period spans the 20s-50s and thus is very broad. We had guests in everything from flapper dresses and zoot suits to Mad Men style mid century and as far as I know, no one was scratching their head or stressing out over it as we made it clear  A. what it meant and B. that it was optional.   The majority of our guests embraced the theme  and I got a lot of positive feedback from people who enjoyed an excuse to dress up.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
I vote for the first dress.  The patterns on the others are a bit too busy for me, but all of them are lovely.

sheleo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:06 AM »
I like EShakti for vintage style dresses.  They fit to all sizes

kajunchick

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »
RE: Vintage/rustic. That's the description I found on pinterest. :) They are basically having a small wedding in the bride's parents' backyard, with big oak trees all around. My brother and his groomsmen are wearing something like this http://www.intimateweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/suspenders2prettychicky.jpg

I know I don't have to follow the "theme", but most of the weddings I've been to have been evening weddings, and my usual idea of "dressing up" is to wear my good jeans! LOL

I think the style of the first one is my favorite.

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »
I'm glad you liked the first one best. I did, too!

If you like that style, I like these options, too: http://www.dressbarn.com/plus-size/dresses/fit-and-flare-dresses

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:02 AM »
In terms of level of formality, I'd agree with the posters who are suggesting a nice dress, which you could maybe team with a nice cardigan or wrap, rather than a more formal dress and tailored jacket. As the event is outdoors then make sure you aren't wearing shoes with kitten or stiletto heels as they have a nasty tendancy to sink into the grass! As with all weddings, you will be on your feet a lot so make sure they are comfy.

If you don't fancy getting a specifically vintage outfit, but would like to go with the theme, you could still use vintage style accessories. One of the most stunning vintage outfits I've seen was a plain dress teamed with a stunning necklace of large pearl beads.

NE England

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 01:49:12 AM »
A vintage fascinator would be a fun addition too.