Author Topic: Getting a ride  (Read 3559 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Getting a ride
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
Though I'd argue it was not quite whole, since there was a party to go on to.

Btu still, yeah, I'd be annoyed over the change in plans, and I'd drive myself.

I'm wondering if this is a case (per the "important to say no" thread) where she absolutely should have told you she couldn't drive you earlier--because she was starting to feel a little frustrated and locked in. You weren't really "doing it to her" or mooching--but perhaps it was starting to chafe, and she should have been giving herself a break by not being your ride more often.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:31 AM »
   Since she offered to take you home to were your car was , I don't think she was terribly rude (her mom didn't ride with you to event, correct mom came on her own after?) She ofter to "make you whole" /put you in the same situation you would have been in if you didn't ride with her albeit a few minutes later.

POD, this is what I was thinking. My interpretation was that when her mom showed up unexpectedly, Melissa could no longer go with you to the party as planned, but offered to do what she could, which was to take you back home, and then you could've driven yourself to the party in your own car. I think Melissa should definitely have apologized for the change in plans, but it's not like she left you high and dry--in fact I think you kind of let her off the hook a little when you declined her offer to drive you back home.

A lot depends on tone/attitude. If she was like, "Whatever, gotta go, you'll manage, right? You didn't want me to drive you home, did you?" I would be pretty mad about that. "Uh, YEAH, if you're no longer going to the party with me, at least take me back home first!" (that's what I'd be thinking anyway). Ideally she would be more like, "I'm so sorry, this is very unexpected, but I have to cancel on going to the party. Can I take you back home?"

I could be misinterpreting the chain of events, though.
~Lynn2000

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
Though I'd argue it was not quite whole, since there was a party to go on to.

Btu still, yeah, I'd be annoyed over the change in plans, and I'd drive myself.

I'm wondering if this is a case (per the "important to say no" thread) where she absolutely should have told you she couldn't drive you earlier--because she was starting to feel a little frustrated and locked in. You weren't really "doing it to her" or mooching--but perhaps it was starting to chafe, and she should have been giving herself a break by not being your ride more often.

Well OP could have gone home and then driven herself to the party, So a delay but not egregious.  If you can walk somewhere in 30 minutes I'm assuming you can drive there in 5-10.   OP solution if she knew would have been to drive herself , returning her to her own transportation is reasonable.

Although if we consider that the driver was going to accompany OP to the party , thats cancelling plans at the last moment. That would be rude but I don't get the impression OP felt her friend was accompanying her to the party as much as car pooling.

I did ask if the mother met them at the event , if mom was with friend when they arrived to pick up OP then they should have let OP know the change in plans.