Author Topic: A fence situation  (Read 3477 times)

Take2

Re: A fence situation
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »
I never said it was my neighbor's fence. It is a shared fence that faces my neighbor's yard. Thanks, juliana, I think that's a good solution. I don't want to make an enemy or hurt any feelings, but I do need our fence to be complete. The HOA could answer the unknowns so I can go over nicely and know all the options to discuss.

The fence damage is not visible to anyone who isn't in my yard, because in his yard there is vegetation (his sprinklers create mini bog there on my side, so nothing will grow) and it is at a corner where the backs of 4 yards meet. It is not a safety concern because neither fence has a locked gate, and there would be no benefit for anyone to break into my backyard anyway. The odd shape of the hills around here allow me to have face-to-face conversations with three neighbors whose yards share a fence with mine from my back porch and my dogs to watch the kids playing soccer across the street. So the term "privacy fence" is misleading, and means only that it is 6 feet tall and made of wood.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »
It is definitely time to talk to the HOA to see what is allowed.  The fence is probably rotting due to the water sitting there.  But please don't use railroad ties to effect any kind of repair.  They leach toxic chemicals into the soil and with a garden on the other side, that wouldn't be good.

If the HOA allows, maybe you could do some drainage work - dig out the soil and replace with stone, for example.  Or if you would be allowed to put a row of large stones in front of the fence which would prevent the dogs from getting to it.

You could just fix it with planks on your own side but they'll eventually rot out, too, and you'll be dealing with this all over again.  Plus, if the supports are rotted due to the excess water, it won't be very stable.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
In my mind, it is not even a tiny bit our neighbor's fault that my dogs ate our shared fence. I just want to fix it. We live in a suburban community with shared 6 foot privacy fence as an HOA standard in all yards. The home builders created the fences as the homes were built. I do not have the right to build another fence, there is a 10 foot easement.

I think you should then simply finish it on your side with boards that match. It's not "his" fence; it's shared, and you're messing with your side.

I personally would probably just do it without asking the HOA, but I'm in a really nasty mood lately about co-op boards (which are like HOAs), so I'm not all that reasonable about it.

However, I would also insist that if the HOA wasn't going to let me double up, that they approach the neighbor about the idea of fixing the lower parts of the boards and about the idea of not bogging down my yard so nothing will grow.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 12:20:21 PM »
Is this fence directly on both property lines?
That is the first thing you need to figure out.  Here in my area, we are not allowed to put fencing up on the property line.  It must be within so many feet of said property lines for this exact reason.

If the fence is within their propertly line, then I would be putting up my own fence within my property lines to contain my dogs.  We have an electric fence for our yard, because the way our property is situated, a post fence would not do.  It works well and my husband bought the kit himself from Home Depot and installed it.  It works best to install after a good rain, when the ground is moist and easy to manage.

If the fence is on both property lines, one side is considered your side and one side is considered their side.  I would do to your side what you can to keep your dogs from getting into their yard without going into their yard.   

*Just read all posts and saw the info. about the fencing.  I would definitly talk to the HOA to see what is allowed, doable, what they suggest, etc., since this is part of their rules. 

But, if this is about containing your dogs, the responsibility lies on you for that.  Have you ever thought of an electric fence? Is that allowed?  I know some people are against them and I would never have thought of owning one before we did, but it is wonderful for our dogs and they really only need minimal training.  Now, we do have to keep an eye out for when their batteries might be dead in their collars or when the fence might be out for some reason, (just have to reset it), but other than that, we have had no problems.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:26:16 PM by YummyMummy66 »

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »
Insofar as this is an etiquette matter, it has been adequately dealt with.