News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 02:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: April 28th, 2018  (Read 578 times)

Outdoor Girl

April 28th, 2018
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
There are a few people who have asked for details; if you aren't interested, the TL:DR is:  I got married on April 28th.  Everything worked out well and a good time was had by all.

For those interested in the details, here goes!

When we started planning, we didn't want to spend huge money and didn't want our attendants to, either.  We settled on the guys wearing white dress shirts, black dress pants, black shoes and we bought them matching ties.  For the girls, we bought all of them, including me, wraps to pull them together so they could wear whatever they liked out of their closet.  They decided, on their own, to purchase dresses in a particular colour.  For everyone buying them on their own, from different stores, they all ended up in a very similar shade with some similarity in the styles.  The only ones in matching dresses were the junior bridesmaids because they managed to get theirs from the bridal shop where I got my dress off the sale rack for an excellent price.

My dress was simple; I ended up with a bridesmaid dress in white that had some beading on the bodice and a chiffony style skirt down to the floor.  I skipped the train and also didn't want strapless.  And saved a ton of money, going with what I did.  It was very 'me'.  We bought DH a charcoal grey suit, a shirt to match the bridesmaids and a similar tie to the groomsmen.  And bought him another shirt and tie in different colours so he's now set for just about any occasion going forward.  It ended up being a cold day; I wore my mother's faux fur jacket over the top, to and from the church, which worked out perfectly.  My something old was my step-grandmother's watch, my something new was my dress and my jewelry, my something borrowed was my friend's headpiece and my something blue was the blue inlay in my new cowboy boots.  Yes, cowboy boots.  I knew my feet would be comfortable all day and night and I was right!  It was a rural church and setting so they were in line with the venue.  DH got spiffy new boots, too.

We did a lot of the prep work ourselves - too much, as it turned out.  The venue supplied a sheet cake so I made my own wedding cake using a stand that I have that holds a 6", 8" and 10" cake, which allowed me to accommodate some dietary issues with the three different layers.  We had some nibbles out for cocktail hour and then again at 10:00 so I did a whole bunch of baking ahead of time and we bought a bunch of trays - fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, etc - and some crackers, which went over well but we had a lot of leftovers!  The caterer only does the meal at the venue but we were fine to do the other stuff ourselves.  It was a bit much to manage...  The meal got rave reviews, which was great.

DH and I were both almost late to the church.  He was picking up the trays and didn't get back until well after 2:00 for a 3:00 service.  But we got him out the door with his stuff to go get ready at his parents.  And then I started getting ready.  My 'maids were panicking but I was really calm and I was ready to head out the door, in time to make it to the church at the appointed hour.  I'm not sure everyone headed down the aisle exactly on time but we were pretty close, if we weren't.  I made it through the whole day without crying!  I can't believe that because I tend to be emotional but I guess I was just so calm, it didn't happen.  I teared up slightly a couple of times.  DH teared up in the church a couple of times and had to cut his speech short because he was so emotional.  Neither one of us had speech notes.  He lost his on the way out the door at his parents, I didn't even really write one so off the cuff it was!

The flowers were beautiful.  The centrepieces were pots of spring bulbs, in flower, from a local nursery.  And the bouquets, boutennieres and corsages were done at the floral shop in a grocery store.  We were able to use points and only paid about $20 for all the food and flowers from the store - it saved us a lot of money.

My nephew did the DJing and did a great job.  And the spouse of DH's cousin did the MCing, which went well, too.  But the best part of the whole evening, I think for both of us, was the father/daughter dance.  DH's daughter, from whom he has been estranged for over three years, came to the wedding and agreed to dance with him!  It's a start and we're hoping it's the beginning of a new relationship between the two of them.

There was one minor hiccup; when my Dad was ready to go home and go to bed, my nephew went with him, with a sober friend doing the driving.  The DJ's GF offered to go, too, and let the dogs out.  When it was time to come back, one of the dogs wouldn't come back in for her.  They spent quite a while searching the yard but no dice; he just hid.  She texted the DJ who let me know.  I headed over, shooed everyone out, got Dad settled and then let the other dogs out again.  By the time I got upstairs, the delinquent was waiting on the deck to come in.  When I opened the door, he backed up.  He didn't recognize me in the dress!  LOL.  As soon as I spoke, he came in.  And so did everyone else.  I got everyone penned but the one guy was still a little spooked.  I'm sure I have paw prints on the front of my dress...  But I got him calmed down and I headed back.  Time elapsed from departure to return?  20 minutes.  No big deal but the GF was a little upset.  I should have know this one dog would be a problem and not had her let them out.

People seemed to have a good time and we all left around 1 am.  And then back for brunch the next morning, which was nice to send off the travellers with full bellies.  We had to do a quick clean-up of the hall and off everyone but my matron of honour went.  She stayed the night and helped us go through the gifts and cards and record everything so we can get thank you notes written.  My Dad went to my brother's for the week so we had some alone time, though we didn't get to do quite as much relaxing as we'd hoped.  No cooking, though!  We ate leftovers most of the week with one night out at a restaurant.

I don't think I would have changed a thing, except, perhaps, to be slightly more organized.  It ended up being a wonderful day.

I don't have any sort of on-line photo account but if you are interested in a couple of pictures, if you PM me your email address, I'll send out a couple snaps when I get them back from the photographer.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: April 28th, 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
What a great wedding! I'm so happy that it went well! And your DH's daughter-well, that just made it even more special.

But you know what they say around here--pictures or it didn't happen!   ;)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Luci

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
Thank you! It really sounds fun and nice. Iím so glad to know how it went.

Best wishes to you both, or to all of you. I know how important family is to, so your stepdaughter's attendance was wonderful.

gramma dishes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
Sounds like a wonderful, highly personalized and therefore very special wedding!   I personally love how you did things (e.g. letting your bridesmaids choose their own dresses, etc.).

Chez Miriam

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
Whilst I am somewhat sad* you didn't follow any of our helpful hints, I'm delighted to hear it was such a wonderful day!  Cherry on top of the cake being the father-daughter dance, I suspect.

I've PM'd for photos, as I would love to see the boots/dress combo [and only wish I owned a pair of cowboy boots I could have worn to my wedding (along with my "something borrowed" dress)].

Wishing you a long and happy marriage.

* Kidding! ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

gellchom

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »
It all sounds wonderful!  Thanks for telling us about it.  I know we all wish you many years of happiness.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
Thank you, everyone.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mustard

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
Congratulations; it sounds a wonderful day!  I hope you have a long and happy life together.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
Congratulations!!!  Sounds like you all had an awesome celebration!