News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 29, 2016, 06:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Honest Thank you Notes  (Read 2378 times)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
Honest Thank you Notes
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »
Today I received a Thank You note from my pre-teen nephew:

"thank you for the mini-drone. I like to fly it around and annoy my (older) sister" 

I didn't really intend it for that purpose, but I guess he likes it  ;D

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Honest Thank you Notes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:21:57 AM »
LOL! Sounds like a successful gift all right! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing, one of the funniet thank you notes ever. I hope you keep it so you can share it with him when he is older, you have a charming family "history"anecdote. Your story made me smile.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:06 PM »
I got something similar from my son about 10 years ago.  Mrs. Deadbody was pregnant with DD1, so DS had been watching the same movie on the portable DVD player for like a week.  I decided to be nice and put in a new movie to surprise him before I went to work.

I came home to a note, complete with illustration.  "Dear Dad, I do not like Cat in the Hat.  BAD DAD."  Including a fairly accurate drawing of the DVD player, with cat in the hat playing, and a giant red circle around it with a slash through. 

We still have the note hanging up.  And in retrospect, no one should be forced to watch the Mike Myers Cat in the Hat debacle.
The artist formerly known as deadbody

lilfox

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 05:14:41 PM »
DD (6) just wrote a thank you to her great-grandmother for her Christmas gift:

"Dear Nana, I love the money you sent!"

Mustard

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:42 AM »
My friend got a thank you note from a 10 year old boy which read 'Thank  you for the money you gave me. I'm sure I will spend it unwisely.'

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:51 AM »
My friend got a thank you note from a 10 year old boy which read 'Thank  you for the money you gave me. I'm sure I will spend it unwisely.'

That's awesome.

Kind of like the tag line for the Comedy Channel when it first came out in Canada:  Time well wasted.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Twik

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »
I got something similar from my son about 10 years ago.  Mrs. Deadbody was pregnant with DD1, so DS had been watching the same movie on the portable DVD player for like a week.  I decided to be nice and put in a new movie to surprise him before I went to work.

I came home to a note, complete with illustration.  "Dear Dad, I do not like Cat in the Hat.  BAD DAD."  Including a fairly accurate drawing of the DVD player, with cat in the hat playing, and a giant red circle around it with a slash through. 

We still have the note hanging up.  And in retrospect, no one should be forced to watch the Mike Myers Cat in the Hat debacle.

I do not like Mike in a hat
I do not like Mike on a mat
I do not like him on DVD
That movie stinks I think you'll see.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Klein Bottle

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »

I do not like Mike in a hat
I do not like Mike on a mat
I do not like him on DVD
That movie stinks I think you'll see.

Glad I have never seen it, because Mike endeared himself to me as Wayne from "Wayne's World." That's one of my favorite, all time happy movies.  My favorite nephew, Jordan, and I both adore it and recently watched it yet again.

This thank you note is funny to me, but in a different, more subtle way. One of my best hometown friends got married back in 1988. I couldn't make it to her bridal shower, but I sent a gift of these very pretty wine glasses that just seemed to fit in with her style.

I knew Shannon was inundated with writing her thank yous when I read the note she sent me, in which she thanked me for the "captivating" glasses. I suspect my friend was getting burned out with trying to find new words to describe her delight with her gifts, and I got a mental picture of her sitting there with a thesaurus.   ;D I don't even know if that was the reason, but I loved the adjective she chose to describe the pretty goblets, and the mental image made me smile.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

parrot_girl

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »
Heh. My all time favourite thank you note is from my BIL & SIL. When they married, we gave them a toaster, brand spanking new, wrapped up in its box and we told them that if they didn't like it we still had the receipt, so it could be exchanged or returned. They assured us that it was exactly what they wanted.
Fast forward to after their honeymoon, when they decided to unpack their brand new toaster and have toast for breakfast. Out came the toaster, in went the plug, in went the bread, down went the lever... and there was an almighty BANG and a fountain of sparks, as the toaster was faulty!

The thank you note:
"Dear parrot_girl & King Parrot,
thank you very much for attending our wedding. Thank you also for the lovely toaster; there would have been easier ways to kill us, but none quite so cunning. Love from BIL & SIL. P.S. Can we get the receipt off you?"

I will treasure it forever.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
Back when my two oldest nephews were young I sent them each a birthday card with a $5 bill in it.  I got thank you notes from them that are classics:

From the older one I got "Thank you for the $5.  I am sure I will spend it wisely."

The younger one sent me a very good drawing of some magpies in a birdhouse and a note, "Thank you for the $5.  And the card." 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
Heh. My all time favourite thank you note is from my BIL & SIL. When they married, we gave them a toaster, brand spanking new, wrapped up in its box and we told them that if they didn't like it we still had the receipt, so it could be exchanged or returned. They assured us that it was exactly what they wanted.
Fast forward to after their honeymoon, when they decided to unpack their brand new toaster and have toast for breakfast. Out came the toaster, in went the plug, in went the bread, down went the lever... and there was an almighty BANG and a fountain of sparks, as the toaster was faulty!

The thank you note:
"Dear parrot_girl & King Parrot,
thank you very much for attending our wedding. Thank you also for the lovely toaster; there would have been easier ways to kill us, but none quite so cunning. Love from BIL & SIL. P.S. Can we get the receipt off you?"

I will treasure it forever.

That is fantastic!  That simplicity/humour balance must have taken quite a bit of work.

Almost makes me wish for a faulty toaster so I can steal their wording... >:D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Thipu1

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »

We received something like this for a Bar Mitzvah gift.  The poor kid was probably working on autopilot when he wrote, 'Thanks for the card and they money.  I love it!'