News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 12, 2016, 12:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 1036959 times)

KimberlyM

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #6495 on: February 04, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »
Since I have a jar of coconut oil in my bathroom (I use it on my skin) I decided to give the oil pulling thing a shot.  My coconut oil is pretty much always solid, but I figured since it takes less than a second to turn to liquid on my skin it would quickly change in my mouth.  Not sure how long it would have taken because I made it less than 10 seconds before I started gagging and running for the toilet.  Apparently oil pulling is not for me!

mandycorn

« Reply #6496 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »
This one is sad and gross - an employee of a local grocery store was killed when she fell/was pulled into the industrial mixer. I've used my home kitchen aid enough to imagine exactly what happened to her and it's horrifying.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6497 on: February 04, 2016, 11:43:27 AM »
This one is sad and gross - an employee of a local grocery store was killed when she fell/was pulled into the industrial mixer. I've used my home kitchen aid enough to imagine exactly what happened to her and it's horrifying.

I hate having a sometimes inappropriately dark sense of humor. Not that I laughed at this... but my mind immediately formulated a joke for what is indeed not a laughing matter.

mandycorn

« Reply #6498 on: February 04, 2016, 11:58:49 AM »
That is the flip side... there are some incredibly funny and wildly inappropriate jokes to be made, because it is a weird way to die. Maybe you can share yours on the things you shouldn't laugh at thread?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #6499 on: February 04, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »

That poor, poor woman... :(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Crochet Addict

« Reply #6500 on: February 04, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »
I got my conch pierced on 01/26. On 01/29, Little Man kneed me in that ear. It swelled up to about 3x the normal size. My ear was a pretty shade of pink/red/purple. I went to the piercer to get a longer bar put in. A variety of tools were used. It puffed up even more and so much oozy fluid came out she was a little surprised. She said it'd be really crusty and oozy for a few days. I have not been disappointed. Fortunately, my ear is back to normal size and the gunk has let up. I'm a little disappointed, it's strangely satisfying digging crusties out. :-D But I'm glad my ear is normal sized and colored again.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6501 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
Since I have a jar of coconut oil in my bathroom (I use it on my skin) I decided to give the oil pulling thing a shot.  My coconut oil is pretty much always solid, but I figured since it takes less than a second to turn to liquid on my skin it would quickly change in my mouth.  Not sure how long it would have taken because I made it less than 10 seconds before I started gagging and running for the toilet.  Apparently oil pulling is not for me!
I tossed my cookies too when I tried it solid (probably should have mentioned that, sorry  :-[). That's why I warmed it up and added just enough sunflower oil to keep it liquid. It doesn't bother me that way as long as I only use a teaspoon at a time.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mmswm

« Reply #6502 on: February 05, 2016, 03:31:34 AM »
I got my conch pierced on 01/26. On 01/29, Little Man kneed me in that ear. It swelled up to about 3x the normal size. My ear was a pretty shade of pink/red/purple. I went to the piercer to get a longer bar put in. A variety of tools were used. It puffed up even more and so much oozy fluid came out she was a little surprised. She said it'd be really crusty and oozy for a few days. I have not been disappointed. Fortunately, my ear is back to normal size and the gunk has let up. I'm a little disappointed, it's strangely satisfying digging crusties out. :-D But I'm glad my ear is normal sized and colored again.

I really, really need to see pictures of this.   >:D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Chez Miriam

« Reply #6503 on: February 05, 2016, 07:23:15 AM »
I tossed my cookies too when I tried it solid (probably should have mentioned that, sorry  :-[). That's why I warmed it up and added just enough sunflower oil to keep it liquid. It doesn't bother me that way as long as I only use a teaspoon at a time.

This is why you should finish reading a thread before heading for the stash of coconut oil!

*Slooshing away as I type [hey, I'm a woman, I can multitask 8)]*

I'm desperate enough about my post nasal drip (and the gag reflex flossing triggers...  and then the vomitting) that I'll try anything.

ETA the flossing, which was the whole point of trying the oil pulling! Post nasal drip => gag reflex + flossing =/= good in my world.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:54:04 AM by Chez Miriam »
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Otterpop

« Reply #6504 on: February 05, 2016, 07:37:32 PM »

Thank you for the heads up.  I was going to dig out a spoonful and try it.  Instead add sunflower oil, warm a little and avoid gagging.
This is why you should finish reading a thread before heading for the stash of coconut oil!

*Slooshing away as I type [hey, I'm a woman, I can multitask 8)]*

I'm desperate enough about my post nasal drip (and the gag reflex it triggers...  and then the vomitting) that I'll try anything.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #6505 on: February 08, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »

I saw that! So scary. I have a friend who works in a supermarket bakery, but not sure if they have any of that equipment in her store; i think not; i think they get the dough etc. premade and just bake it.

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6506 on: February 08, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
We have a lot of industrial accidents resulting in fatalities in my area, and I cringe each time. Mostly landscaping related, but someone was killed in a paper factory recently. So sad.

Gross: After years without them, I have a yeast infection. The burning is beyond description. I am so glad that all meds required for recovery are over the counter now.