Author Topic: Odd Situation Today  (Read 4374 times)

Amoreade

Odd Situation Today
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »
I was at a store today with my guardian, it was a small store, only one person working. After I'd finished and paid, my guardian turned to me and said he saw a little boy shoplift two candy bars (expensive ones) and he wasn't sure what to do. I hadn't seen the boy do it and couldn't tell him from Adam so I didn't feel comfortable pointing him out to the cashier. I don't feel that doing nothing was the right course of action though so if this happens again what should I do?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Odd Situation Today
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »
Why did the guardian tell you after the fact, instead of saying something on their own at the time?
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

sweetonsno

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:21 AM »
Tell your guardian that if she notices something like that again, she should speak up. (If the boy is young enough, she can talk to him and/or his parent, if they are present. If they're a bit older, she should go to the cashier. It may be on the security tape.)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:30:26 AM »
Why do you mean by guardian?

Reaver

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:40:36 AM »
Why do you mean by guardian?

Possibly a parental figure that isn't a blood relative but has legal custody ?

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:22:59 AM »
Why did the guardian tell you after the fact, instead of saying something on their own at the time?
That's my question, too. Why didn't he tell the shopkeeper immediately?

Another Sarah

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »
I think you should ask your guardian to point him out or tell the cashier - if the boy has left the store there may not be anything they can do, but they can be forewarned next time it happens

veronaz

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
The guardian should have spoken up him/herself.  You did not see the theft take place.  Telling you about it as you're leaving the store accomplishes nothing.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
If "the thing that happens again" is that your companion (whatever noun describes them) tells you they saw someone shoplift, what you should do is say, "Oh."

If "the thing that happens again" is that *you* see someone shoplift, you can do several things:
   -you can say to the child or person, "Don't forget to take those candybars out of your pocket, so you'll remember to pay for them," as if they might accidentaly forget (remember Ralph Macchio's character in My Cousin Vinnie who thinks he's being arrested for shoplifting bcs he tucked the yogurt in his pocket bcs his hands were full, and he forgot to take it out).

-you can step quickly over to a store clerk and say, "I think that person per two candybars in his pocket."

-you can do nothing

What you shouldn't do is announce this late to -your- companion with an air of "someone should do something about this." Because then it's too late,a dn that's an unfair expectation to put on someone else who didn't even witness it.

Lynn2000

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
Yeah, there's nothing you, the OP, was obligated to do at that point, or even could have done, really. What would you do--walk back into the store and say to the shopkeeper, "My friend said a little boy shoplifted two candy bars just now. The boy has already left and I didn't see him so I can't describe him to you. And my friend apparently doesn't want to talk to you directly." That's just weird and pointless. All you can do is encourage your friend to tell the shopkeeper themselves, preferably before the shoplifter leaves.

I can see talking about what one saw with one's friend later, but only in a kind of "Hey, that was weird," way--it sounds like in this case the guardian really wanted advice about what to do, though, and that's the part that seems odd to me. There's not much to be done at that point.
~Lynn2000

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Was he expecting you to do something or just making conversation?  To me, the word "guardian" means that person is the authority figure.  If he wants something done, he's the one to speak up to the cashier.  If he's just making conversation, I would just say "How awful" and move on.

DavidH

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
It seems like something may be confused, since I'd expect the guardian to be the one being asked and their ward to be the one asking, but that's neither here nor there.  I'd talk to your guardian before it happens again and suggest that if they see that type of thing happen again, they should tell the clerk about it.

DCGirl

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
Someone, whether it's you or the guardian, needs to speak up immediately.

I was at the grocery once and saw a woman allow her young son to choose a doughnut from the self-serve display and eat it while she finished her shopping, probably because he was restless and bored.  (I noticed them in particular because I was going to treat myself to a doughnut, and the little boy touched several with his bare hands before lighting on one that he liked, but that's a different etiquette issue.)  I ended up in the check-out line behind them, and it was pretty clear that she didn't tell the cashier that her son had consumed a doughnut while in the store.  So, after she was done checking out and I was able to get to a place where I could speak to the cashier directly, I asked if she'd paid for a doughnut.  The cashier wheeled, sprinted after them, and caught them just as they were about to exit the store.  A manager saw the kerfuffle and headed that way too.  The end result was the woman came back to the checkstand and paid for one doughnut, giving me the stink-eye the entire time.  But, I hope that she and her son both learned a lesson that day, and that they won't do it again. 

strawbabies

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »

I was at the grocery once and saw a woman allow her young son to choose a doughnut from the self-serve display and eat it while she finished her shopping, probably because he was restless and bored.  (I noticed them in particular because I was going to treat myself to a doughnut, and the little boy touched several with his bare hands before lighting on one that he liked, but that's a different etiquette issue.)
Did you let the bakery department know so they could throw out all of the remaining doughnuts?

DCGirl

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

I was at the grocery once and saw a woman allow her young son to choose a doughnut from the self-serve display and eat it while she finished her shopping, probably because he was restless and bored.  (I noticed them in particular because I was going to treat myself to a doughnut, and the little boy touched several with his bare hands before lighting on one that he liked, but that's a different etiquette issue.)
Did you let the bakery department know so they could throw out all of the remaining doughnuts?

Absolutely!