Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Cupcake (and Frosting) Recipes?

(1/6) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
The SPCA in Canada is doing 'National Cupcake Day' on Monday, February 24th.  I've done a quick canvas of my office and there is enough interest that I'm going to go ahead and make some cupcakes.

I've had requests for carrot, lemon, chocolate and vanilla.

I'm good with my recipes for carrot and lemon cakes that I figure will adapt just fine to cupcakes.  But I don't have a great chocolate or vanilla recipe.  And I'm looking for frosting recipes - buttercream style, I think, rather than boiled or using fondant.  I have a good cream cheese one for the carrot cupcakes.

And if anyone has any suggestions for other flavours, I'm interested!  I remember seeing a recipe for a cupcake made with beets in the cake part and the frosting had raspberry flavouring.  I might see if I can dig that one up.

LemonZen:
This is my go-to never fail chocolate cake recipe that works perfect with cupcakes:

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, and then add all the wet ingredients:

3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups water

Mix till smooth. Ladle into cupcake pans or liners and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Baking time depends on how full you fill the cups). This recipe makes a 9x13 cake or 2-3 pans of cupcakes so you can cut it in half if you need to. It's quick and easy and comes out moist.

LemonZen:
And I just remembered a yummy strawberry buttercream that works well on chocolate or vanilla cupcakes. I never measure so I'll try to come up with an approximation, but just add until it feels right.

Cream soft butter with icing sugar. (maybe like 1/2 cup butter to 3 cups icing sugar give or take?)

Puree or very finely chop a handful of strawberries, and add them a little bit at a time to the sugar mixture until the consistency is right. Chopped strawberries will give you an icing with little bits of strawberry where the puree will be more smooth.

Super easy and everyone loves it!

Outdoor Girl:
Thanks!  I'll definitely try the chocolate cake.  Not sure about the frosting as I'm not fond of strawberry but then, if I use that, I won't be eating them!   ;D

LemonZen:
Ok so not everyone loves it  ;D.
If you want something super decadent, you could try a whipped nutella frosting. (it's a little more work and more expensive but it is so good!)

8 ounces, weight Mascarpone Cheese, At Room Temperature
cups Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1- cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup Nutella

Whip the first 4 ingredients until peaks form. Add nutella, mix till well blended and chill.
Sprinkle some chopped hazlenuts on top if you're feeling fancy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version